How can I manage multiple linked data editor objects?

Builder Bob

Live free or don't
Reaction score
Let's say I make a unit with so and so abilities. I'd like to save them for later use in some map down the line.

Is it possible to export the objects I have made in the data editor somehow, so I can easily import them into a map when I so choose?

Sure the data editor is powerful, but it also becomes cluttered and disorganized very quickly.

Dan

The New Helper.Net gives me great Anxiety... o.O;;
Reaction score
Sounds like you want to make a library.
I've done a library with my WASD movement triggerwork, and I assume that it works similarly for the data editor.

Builder Bob

Live free or don't
Reaction score
I would very much like to make a library for data entries. I like how it's easy to organize stuff in the trigger editor.

After a lot of looking around, I cannot find anything like it in the data editor. Can you?

Dan

The New Helper.Net gives me great Anxiety... o.O;;
Reaction score
well... if you go in the library section the default "liberty" has units along with points sound etc. but it might not be obvious or possible at current.

Dave312

Censored for your safe viewing
Reaction score
I think the thing you are looking for is a Mod. When creating a map, you get the choice of creating either a SC2Map (Default) or a SC2Mod. Obviously, change it to SC2Mod.

Note. I haven't actually tried this so I don't know if it is exactly what you want.

Builder Bob

Live free or don't
Reaction score
I think the thing you are looking for is a Mod. When creating a map, you get the choice of creating either a SC2Map (Default) or a SC2Mod. Obviously, change it to SC2Mod.

Note. I haven't actually tried this so I don't know if it is exactly what you want.

I haven't seen that it was possible to create a mod yet. I'll try that as soon as the game is online again. Can't even open the editor right now.

Builder Bob

Live free or don't
Reaction score
What about copy and paste?

Copy/paste works somewhat. It doesn't do exactly what I want though, as I would have to open all the data tabs in a map and then figure out how all the things are linked before I started copying. I'm quite sure I won't remember how everything I made in the past are linked when I want to use it again some time in the future.

I want to be able to create specific independent modules, and then be able to add and remove them as I wish later. It might seem like a small thing, but it would help me greatly. From my previous experience, my maps will bloat very quickly and become increasingly difficult to navigate and maintain the more stuff I add to them. As a result I often started my maps over, and just brought over the things I was sure worked, and then went on from there. A terrible way to do it, I'm sure, but that's what worked for me.

Now, when the server is up again I'm going to try out this mod stuff. Hopefully it's exactly what I need.

Renendaru

(Evol)ution is nothing without love.
Reaction score
I did this before, but at that point I was messing around with stuff. If I could access the editor, I know I'd be able to do it again...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.