How do you fight spam and trolls on a forum?

celerisk

When Zerg floweth, life is good
Reaction score
My answer to that would be active, present moderation, with rules that are (more or less) obvious.
You see closed threads, hear about a banned member every now and then,
and, overall, mods are actively around both in and out of the threads.

Well, Blizzard has a "better" idea:

Last edited by a moderator:

rover2341

Is riding a roller coaster...Wee!
Reaction score
Honestly It wont bug me that my name is out there, Not to say I really want my name out there, But If it means I will spend less time looking for what i want, and less spam fine by me. :)

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
I guess the Ban Hammer needs someone's name to angrily yell when it hits.

Renendaru

(Evol)ution is nothing without love.
Reaction score
Well, I've never posted on the Battle.net forums. Guess I have more reason to not to. I don't actually care about showing my name, the problem is Blizzard thinking this is a solution.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
One of the joys of the internet is anonymity. This just destroys that.
Not to mention that it's not a solution to the 'problem'.

Ninja_sheep

Heavy is credit to team!
Reaction score
"Hey blizzard, my name is John Smith!"

What about you just use a fake name? That going to work?

INCINERATE

Reaction score
i post there now and then.. so i think its a good idea to clean it up a bit... Though i never put in my real name/surname for my battlenet account anyway... so it doesn't matter to me

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
I don't really like the idea of almost being forced to lie, I like my privacy but I still don't like the idea of having to use a fake name either..

but I do think that this will help stop the spam

each account would be linked to a game or key, meaning if you get banned for being a troll, your cd key is banned as well, which is much more incentive to not troll then on a forum where a new account costs nothing and a ban is at worst an ip-ban

Switch33

Reaction score
This situation works only good for the people who have fake sounding names. Cuz then blizzard will just think they are fake names when they are real. Like Billy John. . .lol

Honestly, this isn't a counter measure to spam. It's a surrender of the privacy rules of the internet. It's like waving the first amendment almost in a sense that you are "being forced to identify yourself in speech on the internet."

Then again. The blizzard forums aren't used by everyone. But this means probably very very few people will want to use them now.

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
Oh great, I have the most uncommon name ever and blizzard decides to do this...... welcome fake names.

celerisk

When Zerg floweth, life is good
Reaction score
We will finally get to know that TooHotToHandle is actually Sandra Smith.
Who also happened to play WoW for three years where she "married" TinyTimmy (actually Tom Jones).
Tom is rather happy now, having seen her daring pictures over at Facebook.

It all adds up.
Only good things can come from there :p

" each account would be linked to a game or key "

They already are. You need to add your CD-key.
Obviously, that doesn't cut it.

NightShade

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
[YOUTUBE]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FBwTpHNZDpQ&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FBwTpHNZDpQ&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

husky rant.

Dave312

Censored for your safe viewing
Reaction score
http://www.cad-comic.com/cad/20100707

Some really good points raised there, most of which I totally agree with.

The thing I am a little unsure about is whether this Real ID thing is now compulsory when playing Starcraft 2? I was always under the impression that it was optional, much like connecting to your Facebook account.

For me knowing my real name is not an issue, so I have no concerns. Both my first name and last name are in the top 10 most common names. In my previous job, I even worked with someone who had the same name as me.

Xienoph

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Well, back to topic!
You can fight spams by using (good) captcha in the registration process and optionally when posting. That'll get rid of spam bots.

Human trolls and spammers are harder to fight. The most common solution would be the one Blizz has suggested (no, not the real ID thing). Have people rate each post and hide any non constructive ones. I particularly like Youtube's implementation of that. But, this system needs a lot of non trolling people. I'm not sure if Bnet forum has enough users for this.

Bottom line is, diligent moderation and banning trolls.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
does anyone else think that the names will be the names used from CC info and thus giving a fake name will be significantly harder, or am I just paranoid?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.