How good is the campaign?

Viikuna

No Marlo no game.
Reaction score
Im a huge fan of sc and broodwar campaings, and been recently wanting to play wings of liberty campaing too, even though I already decided not to buy that game.
( Mostly because from what Ive heard, the editor sucks big time, and because I no longer believe that Blizzard guys actually know what they are doing. )

But the thing is, that if I dont play this campaign myself, Ill probably just end up hearing spoilers and stuff about it, which eventually makes me regret not playing it.

So, for those who have played it, how good it is? Should I play it? Tell me something about it.

I just checked the system requirements, and it seems that my computer is able to run it. Hrm. It seems that Im actually thinking of buing it..

edit. Nah, Ill just probably download it somewhere for free.

Jaujarahje

I have now changed this in the User CP
Reaction score
I've played only a few missions, and I absolutely love it.
In my opinion, it is simply amazing!
Oh, and has anyone found the Tauren Marine yet? :D

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I rarely buy games but this has already been worth the $65 after a few hours of play.

Viikuna

No Marlo no game.
Reaction score
Been reading peoples opinions about it, and the more I read the more I wanna play it.

They say the campaign has Firefly like space-western feeling for God sakes!!

celerisk

When Zerg floweth, life is good
Reaction score
" from what Ive heard "

You shouldn't believe everything you hear :p
Do a search on youtube for custom map videos.
All of those, and some are nothing short of amazing, have been made exclusively with that "sucky editor".
The opinions of a handful of random people clearly do not agree with what you can see for yourself.

The campaign?
Difficult to say as I'm only into the first handful of missions.
However, what I've seen so far fully justifies the wait time.
This poll here also seems to agree.

The "ready rooms" in between missions add this special something... you really have to experience it. Amazing.
Firebats!

" Intensify forward fire power! " :D

Hero

─║╣ero─
Reaction score
The game is action packed. I had almost shitted myself playing the mission where:

The zergs attack you and you have to hold out.

I'm playing on the hardest difficulty :p

It brings back so many memories. I recommend buying it :thup:

Saintbob

Reaction score
Im a huge fan of sc and broodwar campaings, and been recently wanting to play wings of liberty campaing too, even though I already decided not to buy that game.
( Mostly because from what Ive heard, the editor sucks big time, and because I no longer believe that Blizzard guys actually know what they are doing. )

But the thing is, that if I dont play this campaign myself, Ill probably just end up hearing spoilers and stuff about it, which eventually makes me regret not playing it.

So, for those who have played it, how good it is? Should I play it? Tell me something about it.

I just checked the system requirements, and it seems that my computer is able to run it. Hrm. It seems that Im actually thinking of buing it..

edit. Nah, Ill just probably download it somewhere for free.

No dis-respect to you. but where the hell did you here all this nonsence?

If everyone listened to what other people said, and then never found out for themselves then, My god what a boring place this world would be.

I can clarify that the Campaign for me, is one of the best Campaigns I've ever played in any Game, including games that arn't an RTS.
The Lore, the cinematics, the cutscenes, the conversations and the choices you get to make are outstanding, not to mention the Background Music!
Oh and the Lost Viking Game in the Cantina! :D
Its worth the £35.00 I played, just to play Lost Vikings! :D hahaha

On a serious note, everyone said the Editor was rubish, and in all fairness that was probably true if you read reviews on the first release of the editor in the Beta.

I can honestly say as the beta went on and new releases of the editor came out, it has become alot better.
People who say its rubish, really dont have a clue how to use it.
Thankfully if you are keen on learning the editor, their are a ton of Tutorials on the net and on thehelper.net from the beta stages, which should help you out.

But seriously I dont know where you are in the world, but it was Deff Worth £35.00 i paid, so its deff worth the $60-$100(Collectors).
Especially if you are a keen SC1 and SC:BW player :D

Check it out please, for you're own peace of mind. otherwise you will always wonder what could of been :D

Viikuna

No Marlo no game.
Reaction score
No dis-respect to you. but where the hell did you here all this nonsence?

From friends who have been doing stuff with the editor, and who wished, like I did, that Blizard could learn from their mistakes with wc3 editor.

Then again, theres always a chance that cool guys of the modding community manage to make their own tools for fixxing most of the stuff that can be fixd...

Builder Bob

Live free or don't
Reaction score
Regardless of what I/you/others think of the editor, the campaign is a spine-chilling awesome experience. If you're a Starcraft fan, I'd say this is a must buy

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
From friends who have been doing stuff with the editor, and who wished, like I did, that Blizard could learn from their mistakes with wc3 editor.

I think it's just that your friends aren't willing to learn the more difficult editor. This one is potentiality limitless... If you play the campaign and the Lost Viking maps you will see what I mean, there's some really cool stuff done on some of the maps. And what mistakes in the world editor? It came out in 2000 and I'd say it has been the best game editor to exist up until the release of SC2 beta. ;)

Btw, they even give you good incentives to replay the missions... achievements. I've played every mission at least 3 times so far. Once to beat it, then another two times to get the achievements (they usually have 1 just to beat it, then one special achievement for normal mode and hard mode)

Viikuna

No Marlo no game.
Reaction score
Actualy, ironic thing is, that those guys felt that the editor wasnt really designed for advaned modders, and although there are alredy stuff like Gex´s Andromeda, the fact that people had to start fixxing editor and galaxy before the game even came out, does not promise good for editors future. ( At least thats how I see it. )

Anyways, the campaign.
I must say I kinda like what Ive seen this far. The bar where Jimmy hangs has some real Firefly feeling indeed. Its awesome. Gotta play more before I can say anything about missions, though, since those have been only about teaching the game for player for now.

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
The thing about the editor is that it's so very counter-intuitive and that it almost forces you to use GUI. Scripting in Galaxy is a joke atm.

Other than that, it's actually a good buy. (Even though I haven't bought it yet >_<... I need to get it... Time to talk to mom :D)

Dan

The New Helper.Net gives me great Anxiety... o.O;;
Reaction score
With regards to my beloved galaxy editor: Regardless of what anyone says, the end justify the means.

What I mean to say is: This editor is LIMITLESS... regardless of if you don't like it or not, it's still better than anything you will see before it.

If you look at the maps available first day, beta maps, the campaign, and the between-mission areas in the campaign, then you will see a quality that you have never before known. The editor is NOT extremely user friendly! So the QQ that you read about or hear from your friends is simply lack of ambition to learn a new editor.

----

Your original post and some of the things you said, btw, kind of seem like troll nonsense. Especially the part where "Blizzard doesn't know what they are doing." To be fair, Blizzard Entertainment is a leading force in computer games at the moment. You can safely say that if they stop selling games... the fact that they ARE a leader in the industry makes that point null and void. Your attitude towards my beloved Blizzard Entertainment makes me extremely sad!

----

The campaign is extremely enjoyable! I like that they added Firebats and Medics... etc :)

No_exit

Regular User (What is Custom User Title?)
Reaction score
Well the galaxy editor is something where it's hard to make easy things and easy to make hard things so depending on what you are trying to do, you will either love or hate it.

Also people dislike the new editor since WC3 has trained us to trigger a lot of things and suddenly we will have to use a powerful yet complex data editor.

Another thing to take in perspective is that the SC2 editor is new and still a lot will change and improve. Try to compare this SC2 editor not to the current WC3 editor with newgen and all that stuff. No, compare it to WC3 Reign of chaos first editor and you will see that this editor has a LOT of potential.

Edit: Do also note that a lot of people still are thinking in WC3 terms. For example if I look at the number of AI natives, then I'm pretty sure some very nice things are possible here but you need to change your mindset and not try to make the same kind of maps like you did in WC3. Just look at how many people are trying to implement heroes into this game.

Oninuva

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
The campaign is enjoyable.. kinda feel burned out with the missions and the in-between stuff though, it's cool and all but gets kinda old after checkin everything each mission :p

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
+1 <3<3

I'll maybe post something construtive once I'm done playing it...

+2

I hated Sc1, and wasn't gonna buy SC2, but the I did and the custom maps so far are completely worth it. I still suck at the RTS part, but I'm working on it. Lol :D

XxMayhemxX

Reaction score
Campaign is awesome, inbetween missions is cool, u can hire mercs, which you can subsequently buy during missions to help you out.. they are strong hero units basically.
No they dont earn abilities like WC3 and there is no items which grant abilities... but thats all in the editor, and ive already played sweet rpg style games in the beta.. so awesome singleplayer rpgs are in sc2's future on bnet easily...

You can go into the armory, and buy upgrades, for most units and buildings, with each one having two upgrades...

You can go into the Labratory, and buy new research/buildings/tech/abilities ect. But the research is based on bonus objective toss and zerg technology you find during missions.. don't find them all, your not gonna be able to buy all the new research technology. Wanna know a few? Flame turrets/zerg mind control towers, planetary defense(cannon on the cc), build 2 scvs at once, and more... for each lvl of research, you have a choice between 2 techs, and whichever one you choose, you can't have the other any more.. lost until you play a new campaign.. so it gives for some replayability...

The only thing about inbetween missions, is, sometimes, i wanna start the next mission up right away.. no waiting around.. instead, its loading screen/movie/loading screen/cutscene/then ship.. Their awesome at first... since i love story in games... but second playthroughs.. press enter or escape alot.. to skip stuff....

Also in the campiagn, if you played the beta, or read about it, there was no Vultures, or Gols, or Wraiths, many old units.. ARE in the campaign.. to use and build... Not sure if they are in the bnet multiplay experience tho.

Missions are sweet...early on, you have your basic terran outpost type missions, nothing too exciting, then missions ramp up...
Code:
[B]Spoiler Alert[/B]------------------------------------------------------>and even at one point, Raynor gets visited by Zeratul and Zeratul hands him a crystal so you can replay 4 Protoss missions which have an incredible story of their own, which tie into the Terran storyline brilliantly...

Missions do get a little repeticious, maybe its just cuz im ready for toss and zerg, or, maybe its cuz I played SC1 SOOO much, it isnt even funny...
let me rephrase this one... its not so much the missions, it's the style of game... iso/top down rts... I've played sc1 wayy too much so.. i can't fault the game here...

Difficulty... i played on normal... every mission was easy as soon as i had 50-100 men... Except the final mission.. wow did i get my butt handed to me.. i actually had to cheat... The zerg were too tough for me... Even with the special weapon...

So you ask is the game worth its price tag.. most definetly! easily worth more.. considering the longevity of bnet... SC1 ive been playing free on bnet for 10 years... so this game is definetly worth it... and overall, its awesome...

Sorry this sounded kinda Reviewish.. but hey, the first post acted like he just needed to go read more reviews... so heres one for him... A+ Must buy game or Kerrigan will kill you....

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.