Sci/Tech How it feels to learn JavaScript in 2016

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
The following is inspired by the article “It’s the future” from Circle CI. You can read the original here. This piece is just an opinion, and like any JavaScript framework, it shouldn’t be taken too seriously. No JavaScript frameworks were created during the writing of this article.

Hey, I got this new web project, but to be honest I haven’t coded much web in a few years and I’ve heard the landscape changed a bit. You are the most up-to date web dev around here right?

-The actual term is Front End engineer, but yeah, I’m the right guy. I do web in 2016. Visualisations, music players, flying drones that play football, you name it. I just came back from JsConf and ReactConf, so I know the latest technologies to create web apps.

Read more here. (Hackernoon)

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
As an active web dev, I can say while this accurately portrays a good bit of what's going on, part of the issue is people looking around and getting overwhelmed. Just grab what you need, carve out an app, and do it better next time. Learning is incremental.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Web dev is a mess. I just hope I will never have to deal with it but I fear I will some day have to.

rover2341

Is riding a roller coaster...Wee!
Reaction score
I feel your pains.
Before i finished school I did a react project. and thought wow this is a mess with so many different dependency's to make the thing work.
I do prefer react but thats not the point.

anyway just yesterday i felt angular 2 was mature enough to dive into, but trying use that with asp.net or with asp.net core proved painful.
asp.net core has more built in tools then standard asp net to make it even realistic to do angular, but .net core is edge as well.

so finding samples that used the latest in both has been a pain.

Even mobile dev is often done using these js frameworks these days. so alot to learn. Trying to stay relevant in my field, and all these new js or existing js stacks make it alot of work.

At least I picked up typescript early on and did a few projects with it, so at the very least I can use that if i need to. and I picked up node.js as well.

Javascrpit is everywhere now days... I dont even like javascrpit but i am picking use use a js framework for mobile dev of xamerian that uses xmal and C# both things I am strong at as i feel the js frameworks make more sense. more code shareing ect...

I nearly went to a by weekly club that does JavaScript in the mesa just to try to keep up. (ended up not going due to Counter strike being more important after work)

js this js that........

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.