General How should a parent discipline their children?

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
Fear is something you instill, respect is something you earn. You don't earn respect from your child for being so cowardly that you need to use your physical superiority to dicipline it.

How is smacking sense into a child being cowardly.

T.s.e

Wish I was old and a little sentimental
Reaction score
How is smacking sense into a child being cowardly.
Because instead of communicating with the child like you would to any other human being, you abuse your larger physique to get your point across, in fear of the more diplomatic method not working instantly and correctly.

KillerChi

Reaction score
Because instead of communicating with the child like you would to any other human being, you abuse your larger physique to get your point across, in fear of the more diplomatic method not working instantly and correctly.

A parent isn't necessarily larger physique. Especially during the times where the kids are the most unruly, if it's a boy, they may actually be strong than the parent(s). Especially if:
-His/her parent's are elderly.
-It's a single parent(Not to be sexist, but mostly moms.)Mom's tend to be less aggressive and on average have less muscle.

ElderKingpin

Reaction score

Then its better to use a method that has been proven to work, instead of a method and might not work. The fear of diplomatic method is not some that is baseless, some kids just choose to not listen

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
Then its better to use a method that has been proven to work, instead of a method and might not work. The fear of diplomatic method is not some that is baseless, some kids just choose to not listen

Well they choose not to listen because there's not always something to listen to.
Parents aren't always right. A lot of parents don't know what to say or how to act (not all parents are good examples themselves, you can't blame the child for copying the parent), so sometimes, not always, physical power is weak, because in about 10 years, that kid will be the stronger one, and then be able to inflict the same amount of... stuff.

But even though I said that, I still think some physical discipline is needed, just not to a large extent.

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
When you where born how did the doctor tell you to breathe? Nuff said.

Reaction score

What is this method that has been "proven" to work? It sure as hell isn't smacking. Hitting your kids might be an effective way to guarantee immediate compliance, but the published research indicates that corporal punishment is associated with negative long-term effects and generally poor outcomes. For this reason and others, organizations such as the UNESCO and the AAP have positioned themselves against corporal punishment.

It is ridiculous to think that this issue still warrants discussion in the 21st century. The body of evidence against corporal punishment is too large to be ignored.

ElderKingpin

Reaction score
Ok. what if the kids dont listen? Are you going to go try a more diplomatic approach? Actions speak louder then words. And after you SHOW THEM WHOS BOSS. Then you explain. Because before you can talk, you must get attention..

If you dont show them WHO RUNS THE HOUSE. SOME (notice the some)teenagers just go off. I do not see how a person can reasonably talk to someone. not willing to listen

Zakyath

Reaction score
Ok. what if the kids dont listen? Are you going to go try a more diplomatic approach? Actions speak louder then words. And after you SHOW THEM WHOS BOSS. Then you explain. Because before you can talk, you must get attention..

If you dont show them WHO RUNS THE HOUSE. SOME (notice the some)teenagers just go off. I do not see how a person can reasonably talk to someone. not willing to listen

So am I allowed to assault you now, because you don't listen and ignore the facts?

Don't take anything personally, but seriously, if you HAVE to use violence to show who runs the house, obviously you haven't gotten much power in your house at all.

MasterOfABCs

Unacceptable!
Reaction score
I find it most often effective to administer an ancient flying-spinning fire face-punch when ever i am defied. The resulting facial explosion often causes instant conformity.

If all else fails i generally dump ice water on the children while they rest in their blissful sleep and then assail them with ten to twenty high velocity slaps. All, of course, while dressed as Micheal Moore.

I rule my domain.

thewrongvine

Reaction score
The Joker and Scarecrow rule with fear!
@Elder, the kid must be weak if physical abuse makes them listen, :p

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

ElderKingpin

Reaction score
ok so. perhaps someone should change the title or something, not disciplining your child at all is just bad parenting, probably corporal punishment.

Anyway enlightenment has come upon me, spanking does NOT make a kid angry, if they do get angry, its their own fault. Spanking is one thing, spanking is doing your punishment under righteousness, you do it for the right reasons, if the kid is misbehaving? Spank him, when he grows up dont, simple, why? Because its just plain weird, and the kid is probably bigger then you by now. There is a difference between spanking and abuse, if you get angry at something that you deserved, its hardly the parent's fault.

Should you spank until a kid cries? Yes, because if you dont and they "fake cry" they won, the kid didnt really get punishment, you have to make sure that they learn their lesson.

Genkora

Frog blast the vent core!
Reaction score
probably the best way of discipline is to just not spoil the kid in the first place. Prevention yo. My parents gave me spankings when I was a kid, and sometimes even slaps upside the head when I did bad stuff. Seemed to work alright I guess.

Cornface

Avoid, if at all possible.
Reaction score
ElderKingpin, if I ever meet you in real life and we had an argument, would I be allowed to slap you because you disagree with me just because I am older, a lot more mature, have more beard and a bigger cock than you?

thewrongvine

Reaction score
ElderKingpin, if I ever meet you in real life and we had an argument, would I be allowed to slap you because you disagree with me just because I am older, a lot more mature, have more beard and a bigger cock than you?

I never knew you were his father...

"Parent" and "Children" are the key words here. And what if the kid's a girl. So your argument doesn't work :p

And discipline doesn't have to do with arguments. It's punishment for misbehavior, it doesn't actually have to do with the parents at all.

I think a decent amount of like harsh discipline is good. Makes the kid more tough. I really hate kids who whine from punishment. Weak. I don't like crazy spanking abuse, but when they're younger, like probably under 10 years old, a slight spanky is fine. They'll heal. Don't hit em so they hate you. Hit em enough so they realize they're getting hit, but not enough so they actually realize... they're getting hit!

Yeah... psychology... :cool:

Like Genkora, I used to get some spankings and slappings, too, when I was little. Never in my mind was the response to that "if I'm bad, I'll get hit". It was more like "touch me one more time and I'll kill you". Ahem, anyway, I turned out fine, a good kid. So I guess it really does depend on the kid. So, in moderation.

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

Cornface

Avoid, if at all possible.
Reaction score
I never knew you were his father...

And discipline doesn't have to do with arguments. It's punishment for misbehavior, it doesn't actually have to do with the parents at all.

Neither does he...

And yes, I totally agree that it doesn't have anything to do with parents at all. And that's why I asked that question, what gives me the right to hit someone else, because I thought they misbehaved?

thewrongvine

Reaction score
Neither does he...

And yes, I totally agree that it doesn't have anything to do with parents at all. And that's why I asked that question, what gives me the right to hit someone else, because I thought they misbehaved?

Er, I meant it doesn't have to be with parents as in, the kid could have misbehaved somewhere else such as in a class, and the parents still have the right to discipline the kid, even though the kid didn't misbehave like towards the parents. What I'm saying is, we're only talking about a parent-child relation here (and not cuz you're more man than him lol).

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    I ordered like five blocks for 15 dollars. They're just little aluminum blocks with holes drilled into them
  • Varine Varine:
    They are pretty much disposable. I have shitty nozzles though, and I don't think these were designed for how hot I've run them
  • Varine Varine:
    I tried to extract it but the thing is pretty stuck. Idk what else I can use this for
  • Varine Varine:
    I'll throw it into my scrap stuff box, I'm sure can be used for something
  • Varine Varine:
    I have spare parts for like, everything BUT that block lol. Oh well, I'll print this shit next week I guess. Hopefully it fits
  • Varine Varine:
    I see that, despite your insistence to the contrary, we are becoming a recipe website
  • Varine Varine:
    Which is unique I guess.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Actually I was just playing with having some kind of mention of the food forum and recipes on the main page to test and see if it would engage some of those people to post something. It is just weird to get so much traffic and no engagement
  • The Helper The Helper:
    So what it really is me trying to implement some kind of better site navigation not change the whole theme of the site
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.