General How should a parent discipline their children?

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
No, there is no full way to just discipline a child, slapping them around wont always work. There are times when different methods work, and that is what matters.

Hitting your child is ALWAYS (it should be) better then whatever is equivalent to grounding, ive always seen grounding as being some really loose junk. For example, a friend of mine was grounded, he couldnt go play with other people, but other people could go play for him, pretty bull. And i see the people who do not want to hit kids, they have a good heart, and it is the same for political parties also, a democrat has a good heart in that he wants to help people, but it is not always the best.

A while ago one of the teachers told us a story that when he was a kid there was a storm (and i mean a serious) storm where the teacher's father had told him to stay in this specific spot, and the dad had to go away to do some work, he wouldnt be able to see him but the father could see the child. Well, the storm came and it was pouring and it pounded on the area, and the kid was scared he could not see his dad and he was scared the rain would blow him away, He lost control and he had to run across the lot (i dont remember what he ran across) but when he came across he told the dad he was scared. The dad didnt hit him or anything, he just looked at the kid square, shook his head and said "im disappointed"

Again, that is a case where hitting does not work, nor is does just grounding work, it is in a case like this where the parent must tell the kid that they failed literally failed them. This is something i am absolutely sure in.

Azlier

Old World Ghost
Reaction score
I say that outright hitting and grounding doesn't work well. Now showing exactly what and why what they did was wrong, that works. Of course you have to be sneaky about it for the full effect. :p

Avaleirra

Is back. Probably.
Reaction score
Or you could embarass them completely. That works too. :D

e.g, bring the kid to the mall and pretend to have a seizure.

Tru_Power22

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I say just smack the moron until he gets the fact that what he is doing is stupid. Simple as that.

Whitesock

Graphics Help Zone Moderator
Reaction score
he just looked at the kid square, shook his head and said "im disappointed"

shocking_revelations_.jpg

But in reality different children will react to punishments in different ways. Normally hitting (as long as it isn't actually beating, just some spanks) will get the point across.

ElderKingpin

Reaction score
lol xD.

But there ish a point where no amount of hitting or grounding or "IM DISAPPOINTED' will work.

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
shocking_revelations_.jpg

But in reality different children will react to punishments in different ways. Normally hitting (as long as it isn't actually beating, just some spanks) will get the point across.

LOL!
I say a blend of it all.

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

Jimpy

The Invisible Observer
Reaction score
I think a common trend young parents are making in the 20th century, that you see regularly is when parents are trying to be of friend status with their children, and not actually a parent (dealing with young kids about 15 and under, beyond that, it matters less and less I think at a somewhat exponential rate).

Clearly this is a flawed plan granted its a stupid balancing act that goes without discipline, which is a huge mistake in my opinion.

Hitting is bad, yelling and barking is bad. My dad's done a good job with the magic of rationality and concern, and explaining them to me. I feel they've left a positive impression on me.

Nigerianrulz

suga suga how'd you get so fly?
Reaction score
my parents definitely is one of those who hits/yell/fails to discipline my brother. I think i was matured at a very young age, i understood a lot even when i was young and everytime my dad lectures about "My Life"(which was like the day before lol) he treat us as if im like a 10 year old who knows absolutely nothing.

So, to me parents should allow as much freedom for their child as possible, i reckon its better when they make the wrong decision themselves and then have the consequences impacted on themselves then they will understand truely what most parents hit/yell or whatever at their kid for.

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
There is nothing that can't be fixed with a good old flogging can't fix;)

But seriously, I think that it is nessecary with some kind of physical punishment at least once during childhood, else kids won't know about that kind of concequence.
You can't know that fire is hot until you feel it;)

Avaleirra

Is back. Probably.
Reaction score
There is nothing that can't be fixed with a good old flogging can't fix;)

But seriously, I think that it is nessecary with some kind of physical punishment at least once during childhood, else kids won't know about that kind of concequence.
You can't know that fire is hot until you feel it;)

Agreed. Physical punishment until they get some sense. Then when they do (teens) you let them find out things in their own.

ElderKingpin

Reaction score
you cant trust a teenager, ESPECIALLY as a teenager a parent needs to learn how to bring down DA LAW

Zakyath

Reaction score
Violence feeds violence, corporal punishment is for parents who can't raise a kid properly.

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
Violence feeds violence, corporal punishment is for parents who can't raise a kid properly.

Yeah, pretty much. Obi wan doesn't hit Anakin.
Then again, most parents can't raise kids properly, which means at least some physical discipline is needed. I just say, not too much.

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

Aqua Dragon

I'm made of water. Remember that now.
Reaction score
Perhaps this only worked for me because I'm not exactly dumb, but I believe that simply giving logical explanations as to why something should not be done and using diplomatic methods that makes both the parent and child happy is the best way to show them not to do something. If you've got an illogical kid, just hitting them will only teach them to not do it while around you, so hitting or most other punishments is kind of a moot point.

But if they are logical and willing to listen, and the parent is logical and willing to listen, both sides can be represented without any yelling, beating, or generally any strife.

That's my take - I prefer constructive criticism and discussion as a means of punishment. Perhaps it is too optimistic as to how most families can function however.

Tru_Power22

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Open hand palm is an alternative
Thank you, now I finally have a response to people who say that.

I think most people are in agreement that you need to hit your kids. Pain is the one language we understand from birth.

T.s.e

Wish I was old and a little sentimental
Reaction score
Fear is something you instill, respect is something you earn. You don't earn respect from your child for being so cowardly that you need to use your physical superiority to dicipline it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.