General How should a parent discipline their children?

NightShade

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
what counts as abuse? we should establish that before saying that something is abusive.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
what counts as abuse? we should establish that before saying that something is abusive.

how about anything from this list of "forms of abuse"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_abuse

and that's only the physical list because that's what we are talking about

maybe more specifically

"Spanking is subject to controversy as to whether it qualifies as physical abuse."

is what we are discussing, I think

NightShade

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
seriously, spanking is in not a form of abuse.

even non-excessive slapping isn't an abuse either.

otherwise abuse is such a weak word that it can be totally fine. It then will be stepped over all the time, but that doesn't really mean anything.

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
Spanking and slapping is not an abuse. And if I say spanking, slapping, smacking = all the same thing. It means using your hand and swiping it at a target location on the child with light to medium force, but not even close enough to say a punch.
Like I said before, it's for the attention getter. You can't slowly develop something if they don't start developing it in the first place, and you need a sudden start.

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

punwisp

Reaction score
Depends on the age really. It gets to a point where hitting isn't a great idea, and too much hitting can be bad mentally for the child. If you punish them without physically hitting them, then you take away everything, often strip away the key things they do, and make sure they regret getting into trouble.

Of course if its just a slap on the wrist that can be ran around, it won't be effective. its the parents being too soft.

Honestly hitting your child was big in the old days. Not much anymore. A smack on the behind to get the point across when punishing. Even threatening with something big to smack them with, and intimidate them with it (But not using it at all, more of a bluff).

On a side note, its legal as long as it doesnt leave any marks (Such as cuts, bruises, broken bones) I've heard a sheriff himself say so :p.

So you can be creative, though it won't be illegal or abuse.

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
it was big in the old days, because it worked. People are too scared to discipline their child nowadays.

Lyerae

I keep popping up on this site from time to time.
Reaction score
it was big in the old days, because it worked. People are too scared to discipline their child nowadays.

It's not that they're scared to discipline, it that they're scared about going to jail, or having the kids taken away.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
My dad used to beat my ass on a regular basis. I was a bad kid apparently :) I do not spank my kids. Never have and never will which I guess is a good thing because they are adults now :)

Hall of Fame!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.