How to create a basic game?

Lyerae

I keep popping up on this site from time to time.
Reaction score
Like I said, Java tends to slightly slower, if not just as fast as code written in C++ or C, but you have to remember that Java is interpreted dynamically, rather than compiled and run as native code, as C++ / C is.

Java can be as fast as it wants, but it will always have the overhead of the JVM.

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
>And Java is easier to learn that Cpp.
this is where you lost me. C++ is as easy if you're not 13.

s3rius

Linux is only free if your time is worthless.
Reaction score
>And Java is easier to learn that Cpp.
this is where you lost me. C++ is as easy if you're not 13.

Both languages are similar, but Java doesn't burden you with things like memory management or pointers which are very hard to learn if you know nothing about programming.
And I don't know about you, but I've crashed far less Java programs than Cpp programs. The language seems a little more robust to small runtime mistakes.

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
C++ would be the way to go. I started out with a simple 2D platformer, and from there move up into the multiplayer/3D stuff. I'm personally a big fan of Java, but C++ is an industry standard these days.

For your first forte into game programming, start with Pong. That will give you a good introduction into programming concepts and syntax, and from there branch out into more complex game engines. You can find a ton of tutorials for a variety of languages by googling it.

If you're not interested in making a career out of it, which it sounds like you're not, then go with UDK. You can make beautiful set-pieces with pre-rendered textures and models and make something fun. It's rather complicated, but fun to use.

Lyerae

Reaction score
Or be a pro and NOT use jQuery, as all good (game) developers should.

camelCase

The Case of the Mysterious Camel.
Reaction score
Really?
I always thought pros used jQuery as much as possible.
I once tried to learn jQuery but gave up due to sheer laziness =x

ertaboy356b

Old School Gamer
Reaction score
@Lyerae

just for a head start.. will you can't expect him to write an MMORPG in Assembly he can't even start a simple game in a simple language right?? So just let him have the feel of developing a game and let him move on to a much better environment when he finally comes up with one.

Uhmm.. I wrote this code a while ago.. Maybe you can use it.. It's not really speed wise and math wise though

http://syncjournal.net46.net/tetris V1.0 by Lynxx.zip

written using Jquery

Lyerae

Reaction score
I always thought pros used jQuery as much as possible.

Everyone I've talked to whom was even half-way decent with JavaScript avoided jQuery like a plague, and rightfully so. It's too inefficient for large applications, and too bloated for the small ones.

The only decent thing in jQuery I've found is the selectors anyways, and if your too lazy to write out document.getElementById('MyElementName');, then you probably shouldn't be programming.

just for a head start.. will you can't expect him to write an MMORPG in Assembly he can't even start a simple game in a simple language right??

Yes, but I can expect him to learn the language without having to depend of on third-part libraries to accomplish anything :)looks-at-CoffeeScript-users:)

So just let him have the feel of developing a game and let him move on to a much better environment when he finally comes up with one.

It's easier to take the time to learn the correct techniques, and familiarize yourself with the correct tools, than it is to learn something barely useful (jQuery), and have to relearn the same techniques all over again, just to be able to apply them the same way (as can be the case in situations like these).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.