How to create a PHP/MySQL login

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
How to create a PHP/MySQL Login

Introduction
In this tutorial, I will be explaining how to create a login system using PHP and MySQL. You will need to have (or your server needs to have) PHP installed and also a MySQL database set up.

The SQL Query
Firstly, you are going to need to set up your user database, ready for inputting information. I will show you the SQL and then I will explain it:

PHP:
USE DATABASE_NAME;
CREATE table users (
id integer auto_increment,
username varchar(32),
password varchar(32),
permissions int(1),
primary key (id)
);

Line 1: “DATABASE_NAME” needs to be replaced by the name of the database you want to run the query on.
Line 2: “CREATE table users” simply creates a table named “users” in the database “DATABASE_NAME”.
Line 3: “id integer auto_increment” creates a column, called id and sets it to automatically increase by 1 every time a new record is added.
Line 4: “username varchar(32)” creates a column, called username and makes it use the varchar() type, which is limited to 32 characters.
Line 5: See line 4.
Line 6: “permissions int(1)” creates a column, called permissions and it uses the type int() and limits it to 1 character. Note: This is optional, but it lets you distinguish between normal members and admins, for example.
Line 7: “primary key(id)” sets the table’s primary key (the id) to the column called “id”.

You can run this SQL through phpMyAdmin, or you can create a query using PHP (you would also need to connect to the SQL server to be able to do this).

The HTML Form
This part should be simple for most people who want to create a login script, but I will show you how to do it, anyway.

Code:
<form action="login.php" method="post">
<table border="0">
<tr><td><span>Username: </span></td>
<td><input type="text" name="user" size="30" /></td></tr>
<tr><td><span>Password: </span></td>
<td><input type="password" name="pass" size="30" /></td></tr>
<tr><td><a href="register_form.php">Register</a></td>
<td><input type="submit" value="Login" /></td></tr>
</table>
</form>

I used a simple table to evenly space out the different inputs and titles.

The Login Script
This piece of code is the part which does most of the work. It works by connecting to the database, selecting any results, which match the username and password and it checks if there is a result. If there is a result, it will set $rows to 1 (number of rows which match the conditions). If there is no matches, it will redirect back to the login page. Here is the code:

PHP:
<?php
$host = "localhost"; //DB host
$username = "DB_USERNAME";  //DB Username
$password = "DB_PASSWORD"; //DB Password
$db_name = "DB_NAME"; //DB Name
$tbl_name = "users"; //Table name, where users are stored

mysql_connect("$host", "$username", "$password")or die("cannot connect"); //Connect to DB
mysql_select_db("$db_name")or die("cannot select DB"); //Select DB

$username = $_POST['user']; //Get username from login form
$password = $_POST['pass']; //Get password from login form

$username = stripslashes($username); //Makes string safe
$password = stripslashes($password); //Makes string safe
$username = mysql_real_escape_string($username); //Makes string safer
$password = mysql_real_escape_string($password); //Makes string safer

$sql = "SELECT * FROM $tbl_name WHERE username='$username' and password='$password'"; //SQL Query
$result = mysql_query($sql); //Executes Query

$rows = mysql_num_rows($result); //Count rows selected (1 if a username/password combo can be found)

if($rows == 1){
session_start(); //Starts a PHP session
$_SESSION['username'] = $username; //Allows $username to be used later

$query  = "SELECT * FROM $tbl_name WHERE username='$username' and password='$password'";
$result = mysql_query($query);
while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result, MYSQL_ASSOC))
   {
   $permissions = $row['permissions']; //Gets the permissions of the user
   $id = $row['id']; //Gets the ID of the user
   }
$_SESSION['permissions'] = $permissions; //Allows $permissions to be used later
$_SESSION['id'] = $id; //Allows $id to be used later
$_SESSION['authenticated'] = 1; //Allows $id to be used later

echo("Login Succesful");//Prints success message
}
else 
{
echo("Invalid Username/Password");
}
?>

I have commented almost every line of the code, so you should hopefully be able to work out how it works. It is simple really; If a username and password combo can be found in the database, it will set $rows to 1, which will set $username, $password, $permissions and $id into the session, so they can be used later (Using $var = $_SESSION[‘username’] or $var = $_SESSION[‘password’] etc).

User Registration
Firstly, for the registration process, I will start with a simple form:

Code:
<form action="register.php" method="post">
<table border="0">
<tr><td><span>Username: </span></td>
<td><input type="text" name="user" size="30" /></td></tr>
<tr><td><span>Password: </span></td>
<td><input type="password" name="pass" size="30" /></td></tr>
<tr><td><span>Retype password: </span></td>
<td><input type="password" name="pass2" size="30" /></td></tr>
<tr><td></td>
<td><input type="submit" value="Register" /></td></tr>
</table>
</form>

Of course, that will not do much on it’s own. We will need to create a PHP registration script, which will first check whether the 2 passwords match; If they do, the script will then check if the username/password combo already exists. If the first condition is true and the second is false, it will create a new row in the “users” table, which will add all the data in.

PHP:
<?php
$host = "localhost"; //DB host
$username = "DB_USERNAME";  //DB Username
$password = "DB_PASSWORD"; //DB Password
$db_name = "DB_NAME"; //DB Name
$tbl_name = "users"; //Table name, where users are stored

mysql_connect("$host", "$username", "$password")or die("cannot connect"); //Connect to DB
mysql_select_db("$db_name")or die("cannot select DB"); //Select DB

$username = $_POST['user']; //Get username from registration form
$password = $_POST['pass']; //Get password from registration form
$password2 = $_POST['pass2']; //Get password 2 from registration form

$username = stripslashes($username); //Makes string safe
$password = stripslashes($password); //Makes string safe
$password2 = stripslashes($password2); //Makes string safe
$username = mysql_real_escape_string($username); //Makes string safer
$password = mysql_real_escape_string($password); //Makes string safer
$password2 = mysql_real_escape_string($password2); //Makes string safer

if($password == $password2)
   {
	 $sql = "SELECT * FROM $tbl_name WHERE username='$username'"; //SQL Query to check if username exists
	 $rows = mysql_num_rows($result); //Count rows selected (1 if a username/password combo can be found)
	 if($rows != 1)
	 {
	    $sql = "INSERT INTO $tbl_name (username, password, permissions) VALUES ($username,$password,1)"; //Insert user into database
			echo("User succesfully created"); //Print success message
	 }
	 else
	    {
			echo("Username already exists"); //Print failure message
	    }
   }
else
   {
	    echo("The passwords do not match"); //Print failure message
   }
?>

If everything was successful the user should be added to the database.

Logging out
This is probably the simplest part of the code. All you need to do is start the session and destroy it. What could be simpler?

PHP:
<?php
session_start();
session_destroy();
header("location: index.php");
?>

The above code will destroy the session and redirect the user back to the index page.

How to apply the system
Now that your users can register and login you will want to make certain pages available to certain members. You can do this by adding this at the very top of the PHP document. (It must be before ANYTHING)

PHP:
<?php
session_start();
   if($_SESSION['authenticated'] != 1)
   {
   echo("You must be logged in");
   }
?>

This basically reads as: If $username is equal to nothing, then print an error message. If $username has a value, it will do nothing. You can also incorporate the permissions into this:

PHP:
<?php
session_start();
$permissions = $_SESSION['permissions'];
   if($_SESSION['authenticated'] != 1)
   {
   echo("You must be logged in");
   }
   else
   {
   if($permissions < 3)
      {
      echo("Your permissions are not high enough");
      }
   }
?>
Note: You can also replace the "echo" with a redirect.

You can test this here: http://www.omega-designs.com/test/login_tut

You can also try some features using basically the same code: List users by ID; List users by Username; Anyone want to request another?

You should now have the framework to do whatever you want with this login system. It should be easy to edit, but if you need any help you can post in this thread and I will try and help you.

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Make sure you add security to your site, or when you use forms because I did a little html code on it and it worked. :p

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Forgot to use htmlspecialchars() when displaying the usernames :p

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Bump. Anymore comments?

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
This:
PHP:
while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result, MYSQL_ASSOC))
   {
   $permissions = $row['permissions']; //Gets the permissions of the user
   $id = $row['id']; //Gets the ID of the user
   }

can be this:
PHP:
while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result)) $data[] = $row;

or if it's only one row of result data:
PHP:
$row = mysql_fetch_array($result);

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I didn't know about those methods :p

So, using the first method, would the code be like:

PHP:
$permissions = $data['permissions'];
$id = $data['id'];

?

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
I didn't know about those methods :p

So, using the first method, would the code be like:

PHP:
$permissions = $data['permissions'];
$id = $data['id'];

?

using the first method ( Meaning you have more than one row ), you would do something like:

PHP:
foreach($data as $at)
{
     echo 'The data is: ' . $at['rowname'];
}

If you use it and only want to access the first row, you would use:
PHP:
$data[0]['rowname']

as 0 means the first in the array and theres only one row.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    I ordered like five blocks for 15 dollars. They're just little aluminum blocks with holes drilled into them
  • Varine Varine:
    They are pretty much disposable. I have shitty nozzles though, and I don't think these were designed for how hot I've run them
  • Varine Varine:
    I tried to extract it but the thing is pretty stuck. Idk what else I can use this for
  • Varine Varine:
    I'll throw it into my scrap stuff box, I'm sure can be used for something
  • Varine Varine:
    I have spare parts for like, everything BUT that block lol. Oh well, I'll print this shit next week I guess. Hopefully it fits
  • Varine Varine:
    I see that, despite your insistence to the contrary, we are becoming a recipe website
  • Varine Varine:
    Which is unique I guess.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Actually I was just playing with having some kind of mention of the food forum and recipes on the main page to test and see if it would engage some of those people to post something. It is just weird to get so much traffic and no engagement
  • The Helper The Helper:
    So what it really is me trying to implement some kind of better site navigation not change the whole theme of the site
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.