How to: Create Chat over Unit

Sirroelivan

Gunnerkrigg Court
Reaction score
?Does this trigger don't just work when the typing player actually types a "."?

Explanation plz

Blackveiled

Formerly, Ban-Lord
Reaction score
Sirroelivan said:

Explanation plz

You can make it work with a period anywhere, but you probally should do it with a period infront, by choosing 1,1 as the period and as the chat 2, 45 characters on a substring also to limit their chat, but not too low or you will never get anything to read off of it

Ambeco

Reaction score
correction:

Sirroelivan said:

Explanation plz
It should read:
Code:
Chat
    Events
        Player - Player 1 (Red) types a chat message containing . as A substring
The ! was incorrect.

W

waarhog

corvusHaunt said:
You should set the unit whenever someone selects it. Something like:

Code:
Event
 Selection- Player selects a unit
Condition
 Triggering Player = Owner of selected unit
Action
 Set Units[Player number of triggering player] = Selected Unit

Which can make it alot more dynamic.

Using this method u need to have a unit selected ... the other way you dont .

KillerChi

Reaction score
Is there a verisoin where fot example for my game Puppy Ownnership this would be nice if it was permenant(my bnet username is lordneptune)
lordneptune:-dogtagZorro
and in the game I want it to permentantly say "Zorro"Over the unit can you give me verisoin of that trigger?

Ambeco

Reaction score
I've never tried attaching text to a mobile unit before. I don't know offhand if it's possible, you may have to simply have it have a .5 second lifespan, and add:
wait (0.5) seconds
trigger-call trigger(this trigger)
to the end so it refreshes itself twice a second.

Heavy-Gear

Reaction score
Nice Tutorial, Very to the point A+! and Waarhog the whole point of that new trigger is that you do have a unit selected

S

shadowslayer

how do you...

How do you do | symbol? ( I know i just did it but that was copy paste):confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

M

Mythic Fr0st

btw

nice, it is possible to remove the chat entered by a player, you know...

and show only floating text or game messages, without going to obs or private chat etc..

I

ixmike88

You can hide text that is being typed in game, but the downfall is it that you are unable to toggle it.

Blackveiled

Formerly, Ban-Lord
Reaction score
Some bad things about floating text, is it will screw around with your game's selection. But that doesnt happen unless you have like a hundred floating texts :p...which is why you should use variables :D

Cilla

is watching you! Ahh, fresh meat!
Reaction score
All who are interested in his Tut might be interested in this one too.
Using both would be a good combination.

Anachron

Reaction score
Thanks , I used it.
For better chats make this:

Ev: ELapsed game time is 0.75 seconds
Co://
Ac:
Set Colour_Player[1]=|CFFFF00 ( for example )

Then display the textlike in tutorial but a little bit diffrent:
Floating Text - Create a floating text that reads (PlayerColour(PlayerNumberOf(TriggeringPlayer)))+(((Player name of Triggering Player) + |r + (substring(entered chat string) 2, 40)))) above PlayerUnits [Player number of (triggering player)] with Z offset 0.00, size 8.00, color (100.00% and 100.00% and 100.00%) and 0% transparency.
Floating Text - Change the Lifespan of (Last Created Floating Text) to (Real(Stringhlengh))x0.35) seconds.

This will make you display a long text longer than a 1 letter text. You will also see the player names in the original colour of the player.

E

Enigma

Can sombody help me i am working on a RPG map and i want to add this little programm into my map i tried the tutorial but there are some things i dont understand 1) what does this means: Set PlayerUnits[1]=Novice 0025 <gen>
i dont understand what he means with novice there isnt a command called novice and 2) Floating Text - Create floating text that reads ((|cffffcc00 + ...
but how do i get |cffffcc00 is it a string that is tipped in or is it a command ...
hope u guys can help me cause i really want to add this in my map thx a lot yours enigma
Ps.: when somebody can send me the file where this programm is included it would be great

Ambeco

Reaction score
Set PlayerUnits[1]=Novice 0025 <gen>

Where it says "Novice 0025 <gen>", he selected the button labeled (something along the lines of) "select unit" and then clicked on a unit apperently called a novice. You can select a grunt or any other unit on your map.

Floating Text - Create floating text that reads ((|cffffcc00 + ...

the "|cffffcc00blahblah|r" is a color code that you have to type in. THe |c starts it and the |r ends it. The first 8 letters after |c determines the color. Find one of the posts about the colors if you have more questions about that.

E

Enigma

OK thank you very much ambeco now it works but i have another big problem. My Heros get created by a dialog box but how can i choose them for the playerunit variable when they aren't on the map ? I tried to set the playerunit variable from units to unit type but then the floating text didnt recognize the variable ! thanks for the replies engima oh and |_ sexy time _|

S

schecter33

Wouldnt this make more sense?

EVENTS
Player - Player 1 (red) types in <Empty String> as a substring
CONDITIONS

ACTIONS
Floating Text - Create a floating text that reads (((Player name of Triggering Player) + |r + (substring(entered chat string) 1, 40))) above PlayerUnits [Player number of (triggering player)] with Z offset 0.00, size 8.00, color (100.00% and 100.00% and 100.00%) and 0% transparency.
Floating Text - Change (Last Created Floating Text): Disable Permanence
Floating Text - Change the Lifespan of (Last Created Floating Text) to 3.50 seconds.
Floating Text - Change the fading age of (Last Created Floating Text) to 0.00 seconds.
Floating Text - Set the velocity of (Last Created Floating Text) to 15.00 to 90.00 degrees.

This way all of your chat goes to floating text, and you don't need to use a .

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Here is another comfort food favorite - Million Dollar Casserole - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-million-dollar-casserole.193614/

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.