How to: Edit Models

Aqua Dragon

I'm made of water. Remember that now.
Reaction score
I finished the changes, finished the ones in the skinning tut. also. Now is it qualified to go inside the respository? (btw, I would use microsoft word to fix the typos, if I had microsoft word.)

jonadrian619

-___-
Reaction score
I've tried it too, i've even made some cool particle emmiters on a pit lord's head when i've opened it in the mpq browser to war3.mpq. Certainly better as the Particle Emmiter creator in oinkerwinkle's mdl toolkit.

Sooda

Diversity enchants
Reaction score
I' m beginner at modeling and did I get it right ?
First you can' t add models as new units into Warcraft you can only manipulate already exicting units and save them over ?
Is there a way to backup unit models if you screw something up ?
These are for now...

Aqua Dragon

Reaction score
Okay, first of all, thats pretty much it, you can only model existing units(With this model editor anyways, but then again this editor is free and not as complicated as Gmax). Second, you can't backup it... but you can just save often after every big thing. Get into the habit. Best time to save is when you're about to use scaling or rotation (in radians). Because those two can't be fixed. So save before you use them. For instance, if you told it to rotate around y axis on 100 degrees but made a typo, just go back and make it -whatevertypowas degrees. Or with translation. You get x mixed up with Y. So you just negative the translation (if you used -20 for x axis then just use 20 X to bring it back to normal.

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
The tutorial should be called 'How to edit models' :p

@Sooda - This tutorial only teachs you how to edit existing models. If you want to make completely new models, you would need a program like Gmax (you can dl it free from internet, but it's a $h!t...) or 3D Studion Max or Milkshape3D, these 2 beign professional tools, that cost $$$.

Aqua Dragon

Reaction score
Yes, but at that moment I guess "making" was the only thing that came to my mind =)

T

ThePixelator

the models of mr game and watch, samus and sub zero made my eyes bleed. I wouldnt be showing that stuff off if I were you...

Aqua Dragon

Reaction score
Anyways, now are there any more suggestions to improve this tut or do you think it is finnally good enough to be in tut respository?

D

Dead_Dodo

i like your tutorials very much aquter. :D i like that way you write them on

N

need help!

hey i kno this sounds stupid but how i unzip the damn modle skin folder:nuts: :banghead:

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
lol this is so old :p

i completely forgot about this.. i noticed that i posted here and my question still remains unanswered. I'm going to start trying out another program soon called "LighWave" I'm just going to learn it, i ndon't know if you can animate or convert it to a format that can be used in WC3 yet...

S

Shadok

Just 2 cents that could help everyone

I love your guide btw, +rep its really nice. I've read other model guides, but couldn't quite understand em, you broke yours down piece-by-piece, step-by-step. *claps hands* Anyways, lol, about you saying "Hit "File" and then "Save". try not changing the name of the unit when you save, otherwise it doesn't save properly (or save it over a different unit with a different name, that works also)." You CAN change the name of the model you're saving. You have to save it as "(modelname).mdx", as in ".mdx" has to be in the file name. I'm not sure if anyone's said that yet, I havent seen it in this thread, I just figured that out btw from someone else :D !

W

Wanvicked

What just happened? I know how to edit models now? *PeasantYesAttack2* Thanks, aquter, this was just what I was looking for, it really helped me out. :banghead:

W

Wanvicked

Hi. I've gone through your skin edit tutorial now, and I'm a little stuck. I can open "Main parts of a unit.JPG" in the Material Manager for the Footman, but not for the Marine, or for Thrall, which I'm also editing, for that matter. Is it because it's a jpg, and not blp, which warcraft uses? But that wouldn't make much sense when it works for the Footman. But then again, I can't access the gold-image.jpg, referring to you skin tutorial. And I couldn't find any .blp-converters that works either. Can you suggest something for me to try?

Aqua Dragon

Reaction score
Sorry that I havn't answered, I also forgot about this. lol. Anyways, I'm sorry but I don't really know what to tell you. If you meant it turns completely black, then yah, stuff like that happens. I hate when it does.... If anyone ever finds a way to make it so it doesn't just turn black as the new skin is applied, I would appreciate it. :D

Aqua Dragon

Reaction score
You must have changed the name of the file while you were saving it. Find a folder and keep them all inside of there, because changing the name of it causes that to happen (DO NOT SAVE OVER THE MAIN MODEL! OTHERWISE, WARCRAFT 3 MIGHT CRASH AND YOU CAN'T GET THE MODEL BACK, unless you saved over a custom model. Then save over it till the world freezes over for all I care) :D

O

oXReapeRXo

great tutorial. I'm not going to say anything about the spelling and grammar because i make mistakes a lot, this was really informative. I'll have to try this out.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.