Tutorial How to import icons/troubleshoot

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kil-Ja'eden

i just remembered something important Andrew about TGA files. they cannot have alpha files. i learned that in my communications technologies class. tga files are simply flat compressed files comprised of the simple channels and cannot have an alpha channel.

you can manipulate photoshop to "save" the alpha channel of the tga but then it later notifies you that photoshop could not finish saving because the format does not support all of the images properties. tga files cannot have an alpha channel.

K

Kil-Ja'eden

i know i know im overposting

Arkan, you where right. using 32-bit and war3 IE works perfectly.

Andrewgosu

The Silent Pandaren Helper
Reaction score
Yes, they can have alpha channels. What program are you using. If photoshop, what version? Versions below 7.02 do not support alpha layers. GIMP and photoshop both show the alpha channel in the BTNSword.tga icon.

WuHT

Reaction score
Good grief iconing is a lot more frustrating than i thought it would be.

1)I downloaded the sword.blp off this thead,
2)converted it to a blp @ 75% quality,
3)keeping the name sword.blp..
4)and then i imported it into WE
5) custom path = ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtons\BTNsword.blp

Now when i want to use this icon in the object editor, by using the custom path and pasting in ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtons\BTNsword.blp, the previous icon remains, and if i were to reclick it, it would be at Preset - NONE.

Now im' not even sure if i can import images properly..as my loading screen worked following step-by-step off the tutorial.

Save me, andrewgosu or anyone else!!

Thanks in advance
---
Well those are just WE problems.

The icon works FINE in the game, untill you go to the menu and it ends up as a big green icon. Now doing a search gives me some very "convoluted" answers" So maybe u can explain it in your first post in ...detail? I honestly did not know you would have to import BTN/DISBTN...as i thoguht since the icons are so silmiar w3 would make versions FOR you. Might want to address that.

Andrewgosu

Reaction score
It sounds to me, that you just have based your ability (guessing) off an unit ability, converted it into a hero ability and you have forgotten to fill the Art - Icon - Research field. Thats the common reason why the icon is green, when gone into the menu.

WuHT

Reaction score
Hmm very intersting ;

I'll check it out..what i didn't do when i used your model was created a DISBTN version of it.

The first post ..where you go DISDISBTN for disabled command icons is a little off from the other posts.
warcraft viewer helped me add alpha channels, whereas trying to add the alpha levels in photoshop results in black icons ..hence incorrect method by me.

Well yeah keep up the good work

chovynz

We are all noobs! in different states of Noobism!
Reaction score
Yes, they can have alpha channels. What program are you using. If photoshop, what version? Versions below 7.02 do not support alpha layers. GIMP and photoshop both show the alpha channel in the BTNSword.tga icon.

Yes they do. 5.0 and 6.0 both have alpha. Not that that matters to this topic.

Arkan

Nobody rides for free
Reaction score
Yeah it's a bug in Image Extractor I think, but if you save it as 24-bit in photoshop with alpha layer, you can convert it by using Warcraft 3 Viewer. But 32-bit works aswell, don't think the size difference is that big.

ayumilove

Youtube account suspended! youtube.com/ayumilove8
Reaction score
hi andrew and hi guys

after i quit trying to make icon, i finally get back up to recreate the icon
but i still helplessly can't view the blp picture inside the warcraft game
i only can view the tga picture

this is what i did

1. i got an jpeg icon 32 X 32
2. i changed it to 64 X 64
3. i saved it as tga format, 24 bits
4. i add an alpha channel
5. i select the black alpha channel, CTRL+A, delete
6. the black alpha channel becomes white
7. i resave the the file, tga format 24 bits, with alpha channel
8. i open the file using wc3 image extractor II .exe
9. i convert it into blp, using 75 quality, and rename it to BTNabc.blp
10. i import the blp into my warcraft TFT
11. and rename it to ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtons\BTNabc.blp

omg omg where could i get wrong, what did i miss out.
im using photoshop ps 2

Attachments

• BTNPlease.tga
    12 KB · Views: 354
  • BTNPlease.blp
    7.7 KB · Views: 340

Andrewgosu

Reaction score
Are you sure? The tga did not have an alpha layer...You could try saving it in 32-BIT mode, maybe that works. 24-BIT seems to work for me, though...Anyway, I'll edit the tutorial.

ayumilove

Youtube account suspended! youtube.com/ayumilove8
Reaction score
yea

omg o.o"

i already save it with alpha layer !!!!

i could even make a video of me doing the whole thing
showing you that i added the alpha layer, since im using
photoshop, before i press save, i tick the Save Alpha Channel too

i read the tutorial 8 times already *steam*
============

edit

yipeeee
it works!

i tried 16 bit = cant see
i tried 24 bit = cant see the button still
i tried 32 bit = can see !!! <3

S

Sunny_D

minor "bug" i noticed in your tutorial:

For disabled icons (DISBTN)
ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtonsDisabled\DISDISBTN+your icon name+.blp

not really important, just that you know ;)

D

DemonOfNight

well... i think we can still load .tga files with or without alpha channels... at least... me i can because sometimes i try with alpha and it doesent works so i finally make it WITHOUT alpha... and IT WORKS... NOT KIDDING!!! or maybe my alpha are made bad... i dont know!!! HO and do you have a link for a tut of (HOW TO MAKE ICONS WITH PHOTOSHOP!!) because im a bit a noob with this!!! maybe somwon could help me... HO and i saw the make icons with wc3 feel but no one answer because this forum is not regulary visited!!! so plz if theres one in tut repo plz tell me!!!:D

K

Kimazuru

Hi..alittle help needed...

HI andrew, i tried follow de steps but it cnt work...and worst is...whenever i load a picture into my photoshop and click channel, there is only one index over there, no red,blue,green...T-T, can you please help me to convert this 2 icons? thanks a millionhttp://www.yourfilelink.com/get.php?fid=272376

K

Kimazuru

I was following both of your tutorials when i was doing my icons but i the problem lies in my photoshop cos it ain't showing the channels properly as in show de red,blue and green layers out...haha...aniway i wasn't making a maplestory map but instead i was doin heros fer my map and i've a dragonknight u see ..with dragon roar...i did sum search fer icons available but i cnt find ani icons out dere which can represent dragon roar...sad...

K

Kimazuru

Woot...
Hey Sunny_D...
Thanks alot man...
u solve my problem...
haha...:D

chovynz

We are all noobs! in different states of Noobism!
Reaction score
Hi Andrew,

There's a discrepancy in your text and screenshots.

Now, you must save. When you save it, save it in 32-BIT. No other, also make sure, you tick the option to save alpha channels.
But your screenshot shows 24bit.

It's just a little thing but it might consufe teh noobsers. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.