Strategy How to improve your Starcraft II skills in 30 games a week.

Rhydian

Reaction score
well i've worked on the advice you gave me and i do feel like im starting to win more :O. been working on my tech play instead of mass Marines / marauders (lol)

just lost a game because vikings move too fast. POOR MICRO IS POOR

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
I am glad it helps you. The micro is generally one of the hardest things in the game, It is one of the assets which for the smallest of mistakes punish the most ^_^

Rhydian

Reaction score
Hello again, once more im in a spot of bother. i've been playing zerg recently and am constantly being beaten by terran 1 bases. i don't understand how but i think it has something to do with siege tanks and mass marines.

so far i've been reading that you beat it by beating his economy, this howeever doesnt seem to work for me. i may be using the wrong units, any tips?

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello again, once more im in a spot of bother. i've been playing zerg recently and am constantly being beaten by terran 1 bases. i don't understand how but i think it has something to do with siege tanks and mass marines.

so far i've been reading that you beat it by beating his economy, this howeever doesnt seem to work for me. i may be using the wrong units, any tips?

Terran one base marine + siege tanks push?
First of all, scouting is very important, you need to know when the terran is moving out.

The very standard tactic against terran siege tank + marine is mutalisks banelings zerglings. However, if he is pushing very early you might not be able to get mutalisks in time.
The idea behind this counter is that your mutalisks can easily take out reinforcements he is sending through the map, they could also try to snipe out the siege tanks when the marines are not nearby or the other player is not paying enough attention. The banelings and zerglings would be used to kill the marines, once the siege tanks are sniped by the mutalisks you could move your zerglings around the marines for a surround while the banelings come from the front, this way the marines cannot run. However, if the siege tanks are still alive it is best to split your zergling + baneling forces in multiple smaller groups if possible to try to avoid most splash damage. This is micro intensive and most likely too much work for a beginner though.

Another possibility is to quickly tech to infestors, their fungal growth can do wonders against marines. 2 Fungals and you could kill up to 20 marines in 8 or less seconds. This would require a very fast tech and good positioning by you. If possible, try to place some infestors on the high ground with a range advantage to fungal your enemy on the low ground.

If you are a really fast techer you could try to get ultralisks in time and some additional zerglings, i have never tried it myself, but if you send just 1 ultralisk first it will tank the siege damage so your swarms of zerglings can quickly move into the enemy army and take them out in melee battle.

GFreak45

I didnt slap you, i high 5'd your face.
Reaction score
is there any recommended way to work on hotkeys? I naturally micro due to massive ammounts of wc3 playing, and thats also how i memorized the hotkeys for it, but i prefer a faster way to memorize them for sc2 : /

GFreak45

Reaction score
and i dont know about the above post, siege tanks and marines just dont mix, target the wrong thing and woopsies i just blew up half my own army

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
and i dont know about the above post, siege tanks and marines just dont mix, target the wrong thing and woopsies i just blew up half my own army
Do you double post on purpose?
How can you say siege tanks and marines are a bad combination? Thats the most basic terran strategy around. Vs terran and vs zerg there is nothing being used more often then siege tank + marines.

GFreak45

Reaction score
its bad because as soon as you get a zergling on a marine and the tank unloads you can put a hole in your own army, and i have used this against many terrans and won decisive battles because of it, and sorry for double post, it was 15 mins later and i was at work... kinda preoccupied

i find the marine/medivac combo much better

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
Accname is right. Bio-mech is really viable in tvz. You make a field of spread out tanks and you contain the zerg. If he doesn't come out to fight you use the marines and medivacs to constantly drop him and macro up. If he comes out you must stim and run to the tanks so that you won't take any damage from them.

The shell shots which were mentioned earlier are devastating, that is why the tank's place is to deal 2-3 shots of these and then tank the other shell shots. They are the backbone of this composition, but the marines are the ones who seal the deal- they deal the final blow. The tanks are very important in bio mech.

Bio is not really viable in tvz any more without huge amounts of micro which even I don't have. It is proven by people like Kas (but then again after 20+K games you tend to be able to win with anything vs anything)

GFreak45

Reaction score
lol not when ur me... 20k anything doesnt matter when half the time you play you get 0.2 frames per second :p my good comp is in the shop atm : (

Rhydian

Reaction score
been a while since i posted, been hard at work practicing all my games :D

im silver league now (could probably push for gold) but i have a problem coping with protoss forge fast expanding, im not sure whether im missing timings or im reacting too late to a large force, any tips?

(rocking zerg <3)

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
If your game mechanics are somewhat decent you can try the Idra tactic and double fast expand. At 15 and 20 supply throw down a hatchery at your natural and third.

A protoss who is going fast expand with a forge is likely to bunker himself in and wait for a six gate or something.
Thats the perfect time to take map control and go into full macro mode.

The hard part is to realize when you should stop to macro and build up an army.
Fast expanding protoss tend to focus on sentries to force field early pushes. Keep this in mind.
They might also go for very early upgrades since they got their forge so fast, you need to keep up.

One thing you can do is try to tech heavy, into infestors or mutalisks for example.

If you tech to mutalisks you will be able to harass a little bit. Kill a probe here and there. Destroy pylons at the edges of the base. basic stuff.
Going for fast infestors is more "save" because fungal growth can really hurt an early game protoss sentry stalker ball. The most important thing is that fungaled enemies cannot run from your lings. (they can still force field though).

If you want to tech really crazy (only do this if you notice your enemy is not going for early aggression after his expo) you could try to get ultralisks. They will tear through sentries, even if you have only a few of them. together with a nydus worm inside their main they will be really deadly.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Here is another comfort food favorite - Million Dollar Casserole - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-million-dollar-casserole.193614/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.