How to: Make a Loading Screen

killbuzz

Reaction score
This didnt work.The loading screen is all black :|

Then you've done something wrong. You probably set up the import path wrong, (Most often problem, cause one error and everything is screwed) try double checking all the path's you've made. If that doesn't work, try re-importing the files, starting with Loadingscreen.mdx (It sounds weird but it seems to fix problems i've had)

P

paradoxed

Driving me insane

Allright, so first off, good work with the tutorial, its very helpful, and it describes everything i should do.

But.

Everytime i try it, the black screen comes up. And my god, i hate that black screen :banghead:

I think i know the problem, however. My Wc3 Image Extractor doesnt really want to save the image. Like this:
(With file made into TGA using IrfanView) I have the wc3 image tool started. I press Open>Image and take my image.
Then i press Save>Image and click that little box from TGA to BLP.
But then, it revolts. Sometimes it just shuts down, although a few times it actually saves the file (But i never, *never* receive the message about how many % i want it to be, or if I want to add that alpha thing. It simply says it saved, and that its done. It also says its a TGA file)
So i import it into the import manager, along with the mdx file, change the path to FullScreen.blp (then the name changes too) and save etc.

But the screen stays black, and i get more frustrated.
I'd really appreciate any kind of help here, cuz its, as the title suggests, driving me insane.

Edit:
Also, i checked all paths multiple times, ive tried both this guide and the other one, but same problem.. oh yeah, and the file is from a print screen, pasted in paint, and then resized with PhotoImpact X3 (as the other guide suggested)
Ive also tried rezising it with Irfanview, so the rezising shouldnt be the problem

Xebarsis

Reaction score
I've always had trouble trying to get my loading screen to work. I read the tutorials on the main website, but it resulted in a black loading screen. So then I tried YouTube for some video tutorials on how to make a loading screen, same issue.

After reading your tutorial, first try I got it to work and my loading screen looks great. 5/5, thanks! :thup:

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
That picture is not of proper size - you need one that is 4:3 (640x480, 800x600, 1024x768...).

Astal

Reaction score
That picture is not of proper size - you need one that is 4:3 (640x480, 800x600, 1024x768...).

couldnt he just resize it to 1024x768 or doesnt that work? I cant get mine to work either. I tried it 5 times. Did the image have to be 1024x768 from the start or could i take a smaller image and make it that size in photoshop?

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
> couldnt he just resize it to 1024x768 or doesnt that work?
He could (the actual needed size is 512x512), but then it would look stretched.

The original size should (but doesn't have to) be 4:3 so that the picture would look good when WC3 adjusts it to its resolution. You must resize it to 512x512 if you're using the first mdx ("low quality"), otherwise it won't work.

Arkan

Nobody rides for free
Reaction score
Thanks, it works perfectly...

Something that might be helpful.... Doing 4 25% images is at least 2x clearer than 1 512x512 75% image (Note: The 4 images are .blp). It is also VERY close the to same size. I would say doing it that way is the best "BANG for the buck". It could be helpful to others to add that to the tutorial.

That trick really works with amazing results. A high quality image for about "only" 200kb. :thup:

Wolf_Soldier

Reaction score
Black Screen :(

Hey i was just wondering about having to use the InfranView picture editor, because i used photoshop, and i resized to 512 Length by width with out proportion restraints on and and i saved it as a Tga file and then i converted it to a blp. i imported the Loadingscreen.Mdx (though i couldnt get the loading screen from this site, it wouldn't let me.) and then the Blp and changed its name to FullScreen.blp and then in the map options i changed the loading screen to LoadingScreen.mdx, and i got a black screen when i started. Also pickture starting size was 1600, 1200.

Any suggestions?

Dont worry problem solvered :p
If anyone else is haveing trouble, watch this youtube tutorial movie. Just remember to do this at the end
"go to Scenario -> Map Loading Screen in the main window. Check Use Imported File and select war3Imported\LoadingScreen.mdx from the list.
Now test your map. If you did everything correctly, you will see your new loading screen."

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=NYvFklCg49A&NR=1

SwedishChef

Reaction score
i have a question, i want to convert my splitted loadscreen (followed high quality guide) to blp so that it takes less size, should i then use the first mdx? Or is it even possible to mix the first mdx with the four pictures?

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
Not that I know of. People generally make a custom minimap preview that fits in with the loading screen to make up for it (i.e. same background, no frame).

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Would importing a transparent *.tga file as the minimap preview work for that?
It's worth a try me thinks.

LoveyaBecci

Reaction score
Hey guys. i tried to make A loading screen in ROC. I think i did everthing correctly. I have a 1024x768 splited into 4 parts (512x512 top and 512x256 bottom). I namend it the wright way by using gimp and import them by using WinMPQ. Now i open Wc3 and tried it out but it does not work. I remake it 4 or 5 times. I only see the normal tutorial loading-screen.
does anybody know why it does not work?
many greet Love.ya.Becci

Dinowc

don't expect anything, prepare for everything
Reaction score
I only see the normal tutorial loading-screen.

have you even changed the LS in Scenario to loadingscreen2.mdx?
cause you should see a black screen if it doesn't work properly... not the tutorial-loading screen or any other

LoveyaBecci

Reaction score
i only use the reign of chaos editor and there is no way in the scenario to chose a LS named loadingscreen2.mdx because you can´t chose an imported loadingscreen. i did it with tft editor. i imported the 4 paths and chose my loadingscreen, but the answer was that i have to play the game only in tft now, because i had imported a loadingscreen.
i reign of chaos you only can chose between a default screen and a campaign screen. the campaign screen is splitted by many other loading screens like "human 01" , "orc inerludium" or " Standart". that is my problem...

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
Could you attach your map or send it via PM so that I can have a look?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.