How to make a unit cast a custom ability?

Fatmankev

Chef, Writer, and Midnight Toker
Reaction score
Hey, I'm in the process of making an RPG based around the destruction of the Lich King. There will be a special unit in each dungeon that has unique abilities depending on which dungeon it's in.
This unit can't attack, but I want it to cast an ability similar to Charm every time it's attacked, only it will last for only a five second duration (making it difficult to kill solo due to a high health regeneration rate.) My current trigger is as follows:

Events
Unit - A unit is attacked.
Conditions
(Attacked unit) equal to Lich King's Frozen Reach 0027 <gen>
Actions
Unit - Order (Attacked unit) to Neutral Dark Ranger - Charm (Attacking unit)

Is there any simple (non-jass, plz, I'm retarded) way to make that unit cast the custom Charm spell I want it to cast? Thanks.

Q

Quadmxracer

Fatmankev said:
Hey, I'm in the process of making an RPG based around the destruction of the Lich King. There will be a special unit in each dungeon that has unique abilities depending on which dungeon it's in.
This unit can't attack, but I want it to cast an ability similar to Charm every time it's attacked, only it will last for only a five second duration (making it difficult to kill solo due to a high health regeneration rate.) My current trigger is as follows:

Events
Unit - A unit is attacked.
Conditions
(Attacked unit) equal to Lich King's Frozen Reach 0027 <gen>
Actions
Unit - Order (Attacked unit) to Neutral Dark Ranger - Charm (Attacking unit)

Is there any simple (non-jass, plz, I'm retarded) way to make that unit cast the custom Charm spell I want it to cast? Thanks.

If the lich king itself is not casting the spell you want, try using a dummy unit to do this.

Here is an example:

Mass Sleep
Events
Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
Conditions
(Ability being cast) Equal to Frost Nova
Actions
-------- First you create ur dummy unit --------
Unit - Create 1 Dummy caster for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) at (Position of (Casting unit)) facing 0.00 degrees
-------- Then you add your spell to the dummy unit --------
Unit - Add Frost Nova to (Last created unit)
-------- Then set level of your spell to the level of the spell on the caster --------
Unit - Set level of Frost Nova for (Last created unit) to (Level of Frost Nova for (Triggering unit))
-------- Finally order the unit to caste the spell --------
Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Undead Lich - Frost Nova (Target unit of ability being cast)
-------- Create a timer on the dummy unit so it well be removed after it's done casting its spell --------
Unit - Add a 1.50 second Generic expiration timer to (Last created unit)

If you have any questions please ask.

Here is a tutorial on custom spells, and dummy units if you need:
Spells - Basics of Trigger Enhancing Spells By: Daelin
http://www.thehelper.net/forums/showthread.php?t=28117
Dummy Casters By: Persen
http://www.thehelper.net/forums/showthread.php?t=26751

~Quadmxracer

martix

There is no spoon
Reaction score
You mean like - AI?
If so - think of situations that would be appropriate for casting this spell, then cast it :) Don't know what exactly this does, so...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.