How to make a Warcraft III Version Switcher?

xPass

All aboard the xPass Express!
Reaction score
Well I don't know if this should be posted to the Warcraft III Forum instead, but anyway, the question is:

"How do I make a Warcraft III Version Switcher?"

Yes I know there are already version switchers like the wvs, but what I am interested in is actually how do people make version switchers?

Somehow I came upon a source that shows that it deletes the war3patch.mpq and others, but then I don't know how to change the version. All I know is that version switchers delete the some files.

I hope someone can teach me this because I am really, really interested in learning
how to make Warcraft III Version Switcher. Thanks!

azareus

And you know it.
Reaction score
A program to undo updates, and change the version of the program.

Say you have a program in version 1.2, and want it in 1.1. You would need a version switcher.

Also, I'm pretty sure it just replaces the files with the old ones.

MusicDemon

Cool Member
Reaction score
First of all you need to back-uo the "current version" then update to a new version. You need at least the following files:
Frozen Throne.exe
Warcraft III.exe
war3.exe
game.dll
Storm.dll
war3.mpq
War3Patch.mpq
War3x.mpq
War3xlocal.mpq ~ Not sure, though.

Please note that some maps may have changes since an update!!!

Good luck with programming!!

xPass

Reaction score
First of all you need to back-uo the "current version" then update to a new version. You need at least the following files:
Frozen Throne.exe
Warcraft III.exe
war3.exe
game.dll
Storm.dll
war3.mpq
War3Patch.mpq
War3x.mpq

Please note that some maps may have changes since an update!!!

Good luck with programming!!

Well, thanks.. But actually I already know it requires these files. The real question is how do I change the version? I know we require all these files, but what do we actually do? Overwrite the files inside the Warcraft III folder or something?

A program to undo updates, and change the version of the program.

Say you have a program in version 1.2, and want it in 1.1. You would need a version switcher.

Also, I'm pretty sure it just replaces the files with the old ones.

Are you sure it is just replacing? You mean like overwriting?

Does it go this way:
1) Save the original files you have in a folder/zip/etc.
2) Overwrite current files with files of the version you want to switch to.
3) Tah dah?

MusicDemon

Cool Member
Reaction score
Yes, that's the main idea... Though, Windows has some problems while overriding... I'd recommend that you remove the "to replace" files before you place the "new" files back.

xPass

Reaction score
Yes, that's the main idea... Though, Windows has some problems while overriding... I'd recommend that you remove the "to replace" files before you place the "new" files back.

I'm afraid I will somehow mess up my Warcraft III in the process, so I need to clear up again. So what I should do is to make the program delete those files then replace? Oh, by the way, wvs does not require people to unzip the version's zip file. So how do I use the files without unzipping? I know it's something to do with dll files, but I have no knowledge on how to do it, can you teach me pls? Thanks in advance.

Frozen Throne.exe
Warcraft III.exe
war3.exe
game.dll
Storm.dll
war3.mpq
War3Patch.mpq
War3x.mpq

Err I feel that I owe you this, so actually the files that are needed to be over written are as follow (yes, somehow I got it, but still need to know how to use dll):
game.dll
Patch.txt
Storm.dll
BNUpdate.exe
war3.exe
bncache.dat
worldedit.exe
War3Patch.mpq

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.