How to: Make Spellbooks

ayumilove

Youtube account suspended! youtube.com/ayumilove8
Reaction score
this is the best tutorial i seen in thehelper.net

most of the tutorial makers:-
1. skipped many basic parts (e.g. skipping the explanation for basic parts)
2. didnt put any diagram of what they are trying to say
3. crap out loads of explanation without organizing their work
4. didnt use paragraphs
5. didnt use pictures of the result which we get at the end.

+rep to you ^_^

i find it so easy to read and learn from this tutorial

Andrewgosu

The Silent Pandaren Helper
Reaction score
I like to be organized. What's the point of quantity, when it lacks of quality?:p Thank you for feedback.

ayumilove

Reaction score
hi andrewgosu, i have a problem with my spellbook

i add 2 aura into the spellbook,
one is endurance aura and the other is trueshot aura

the endurance aura is working, but the trueshot aura is not working
i cant get the trueshot to give bonus damage to my archer.

to know whether the trueshot aura is working or not, there will be
a green value beside the base damage. for my case, there isnt any :confused:

attached is an example i made :

Attachments

• Aura Tutorial.w3x
    133.1 KB · Views: 433

Andrewgosu

Reaction score
Studied your map, I conclude that the buffs interfere each other. You see, you used the same exact buff on every 3 spells. It will work, if you give them different buffs. (They can have the same picture ect, but if you have 3 spells, you need 3 buffs.)

ayumilove

Reaction score
Studied your map, I conclude that the buffs interfere each other. You see, you used the same exact buff on every 3 spells. It will work, if you give them different buffs. (They can have the same picture ect, but if you have 3 spells, you need 3 buffs.)

hi, i tried out your method (having different buff) and it work <3

actually... the reason why i put all the spells using the same buff is because
1. i want to make the spellbook looks like an aura (a totally new aura)
2. i dont want to have so many buff icons in my hero list (beside the hp/mp)

by putting all the aura have the same buff, it solves 1 problem which is
having only to see 1 icon below the stats, but the consequence is unable
to use that particular aura (2nd aura),

i tried removing the 2nd aura buff, and only let 1 spell/aura in the spellbook
to have 1 buff, however, it doent work, because the trueshot aura which
i removed the buff, will by default, have the trueshot buff icon there.

btw, i tried adding buff for critical strike but the buff wont appear :confused:
what is the method to make passive (e.g. critical) but not aura have buff?

how do i make the spellbook unclickable? in my map, when you click meditation
spellbook, it will open and show out the skills, i want to have it cant be opened

Chocobo

White-Flower
Reaction score
Tooltips.gif

This is hmmm... weird. You should put the white things out and direct them with an arrow.

F

Fl4meS

Awesome tutorial, I learned some things.
Keep up the good work dude!

S

Schaedel

Great tutorial for introducing spellbooks, thanks a bunch.

Big question/problem: I have multiple spellbooks I'd like to use. I made a Spellbook labeled "Learn Abilities", then put 3 other spellbooks inside of it, each containing skills. This is where my problem starts. I can open the spellbooks and learn skills, but unless I have another character under my control, one of the spellbooks doesn't show up and the spells get confused. I've got different spell ID's for every spellbook, all of my spells have different ID's, and even if I unstack the spellbooks from within each other, the spells still don't show up. I've tried using triggers to force the spells/spellbooks to become active, but that hasn't done anything to help.

I tried to use the tiered spellbook example above, where you take 4 spellbooks, level the spells according to the spellbook level and each time you learn a new spellbook level you get a new skill etc. This worked great until I hit level 3 of the spell book, where the level 1 spell I put in simply disappeared. I'm not using any triggers at all with this scenario, as I was simply trying to figure out how I could get all my spells to show up without one or more of them disappearing/getting confused.

I've included the map where I try to use the spellbook to learn new spells as the spellbook levels. Please help!

Attachments

• Spellbook Tests.w3x
    16.7 KB · Views: 429
D

david_m_88

help

ive made one spellbook called "holy spells". its for a paladin hero. inside this spellbook are 2 spells - holy light and flash of light (im using unit abilities, not hero). basically flash of light is just a cheaper version of holy light with a smaller casting time but heals less damage. i copied the original holy light spell and changed it to how i want it. then i copied that spell and renamed the new one flash of light. at first they both use holybolt for their order string. when i try use one, it sort of fucks up and casts both at once. itll take 3 seconds to cast when i click flash of light (1.5sec cast time) and heal for the amount of damage i set for flash of light. so basically it doesnt matter which one i press, they are somehow connected. i changed the order string for flash of light to load and im still having problems. y arent they working as 2 complete separate spells?

Andrewgosu

Reaction score
Hmmm, it seems to be working for me with 3 different spellsbooks, each containing 3 different spells.

Attachments

• Spellbooks.w3x
    16.9 KB · Views: 448
G

gurra_geban

=P passives in spellbooks

I really need some assistance =P
My new map, which is going to be a dynamic rpg style map, very hardcore with loads of realism has a small issue dealing with spellbooks.
Me and some friends played the ffopen rpg this week on a small private lan, and i thought the job system was cool, so i decided to make a map myself. The problem with the ffopen rpg was that too many icons were used, and you couldn't use all abilities. So i thought, spellbooks.

I want my passive skills to show in my spellbooks! Is this possible?
I call upon your infinite wisdom!

edit: i already figured it out... anxiousity is a mappers best friend =). I still have a problem though, the shared cooldown doesn't seem to work =P My spellbook has 10 levels, and now it seems to have gone haywire. Some active skills don't show (max/min spells set to 11/1. The shared cooldown doesn't work for any levels beyond level 1. I use a trigger for increasing the level of the spellbook, a simple one.

M

MaKeNzY

I Love you Man <3 (not really) :)
I was looking for a tutorial like this for much time.
Thanks

Syndrome

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Alignment Problem

Followed your Tutorial [which was well done] but when i made a spellbook and disabled all spells in it and then enabled one of the spells, the alignment went all wonky... anyhelp?

E

Elfsilver

Nice tutorial. The ID part helped a ton. I'm using 4 spellbooks that can be learned as hero abilities 12 times for an RPG, and they kept on merging spells. Thanks!

Feralex

Reaction score
You cant open a spellbook unless you have mana equal to the spell requiring least mana in the book? Whats up with that? I have a warrior much like the ones in WoW so unless he is fighting and gets mana by attacking or getting attacked he has 0 mana and cant open the book. Is there any way to fix that? This is my first time doing a spellbook (thanks to your great tutorial) so i might just be newbish.

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
I'm not sure, if you ahve room, try making a skill (invis icon or something) unclickable, that does nothing, but requires 0 or 1 mana?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.