How to: Make Spellbooks

Volkof

Reaction score
Hi all. I hav a question.

How do you add spell into a spellbook via trigger?

Andrewgosu

The Silent Pandaren Helper
Reaction score
I've done some major updates to this tutorial:

- Made it more compact and easier to understand
- Added a FAQ which includes how to add spells to a spellbook via triggers

Feedback is appreciated!

Always looking forward to adding new Q&A's to the FAQ.

Volkof

Reaction score
Im creating 2 spell. 1 is Brillance Aura and the other Unholy Aura. The Hero will learn Brillance Aura and will be given the spellbook wif Unholy Aura. My question is can I hav the Unholy Aura having multiple levels?

If yes, then how do I set the level of Unholy Aura in spellbook = Level of Brillance Aura of Hero?

Zwiebelchen

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Btw, I found out something amazing regarding the bug that spellbooks close automaticly once you remove an ability.

Deactivated abilities do not close spellbooks upon removal!

This simple function is enough to prevent that annoying book-closing:

JASS:

call SetPlayerAbilityAvailable(P, abilcode, false)
call UnitRemoveAbility(U, abilcode)
call SetPlayerAbilityAvailable(P, abilcode, true)

EDIT:
Tested it again ... the code above only works, if there is a small duration between setting the ability unavailable and removing it!
You have to add a small period timer to this between the first two lines.

Leazy

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
HOW TO ORDER A UNIT TO OPEN A SPELLBOOK

There is no way to do that.

Is this really true? I noticed that you could just order the player to push the hotkey for the spell book. Lets say you set the hotkey to Q for the spell book, then simply use:

Code:
Game - Force Player 1 (Red) to press the key Q

Works great for me :)

ablationer

Reaction score
I'm looking for a simple way to simply have more than 4 abilities (passive) per items, no need for triggers or anything, is there a way to do that with spellbooks? How?

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm looking for a simple way to simply have more than 4 abilities (passive) per items, no need for triggers or anything, is there a way to do that with spellbooks? How?​

Do you mean you want to add passive abilities?

Just add the four abilities and remove the spellbook?

ablationer

Reaction score
I did, but sometimes some abilities wouldn't add, and it appears to be random too, sometimes I drop the items with the additional spellbook that have the abilities I want, and when I pick it back some, some of the missing abilities are there, and vice-versa, it's very strange... I did try to deactivate the spellbook but no change at all...

NindoOne

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
I have a bit of a problem... When I have followed this tutorial and when I putted my 8 spells in the spell book there isnt 100% sure that they display ingame. I can open the spellbook and I can cast spells from it but often there are like 2 or 7 spells in it when I have added 8 spells. The minimum spells is at "1" and the maximum is at "8" and still this problem occurs :(

EDIT: No problem, I solved the problem. The minimum is now set to 8

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Excuse me if I am wrong, but the first page says that you cannot open a spellbook via triggers/scripts. Now i havent read through all of these posts here and maybe somebody already mentioned it, if thats the case i am very sorry, but if nobody did may i tell you how to open it:

You just give some shortkey to the spellbook, lets say the shortkey [W].
Now you use this action:
Trigger:
  • Game - Force Player 1 (Red) to press the key W

and the spellbook will be opened as long as player 1 (red) has selected the specific unit with the spellbook.

i hope this information might be useful, again i am very sorry if it has already been said.

DKigorDK

Reaction score
when i do this

Trigger:
  • Untitled Trigger 002
    • Events
      • Player - Player 1 (Red) skips a cinematic sequence
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set Unit = Paladin 0003 <gen>
      • Set Ability = Hardened Skin
      • Unit - Add Ability to Unit
      • Unit - Set level of Ability for Unit to 1

it just add the spell to the hero and not the spell book.

and let me get this right.

Dummy --> Spells
Spell book --> Hero/unit

lario93

Reaction score
How can i make it so certain items when equipped (the items have the skill "Item Equip Use") will give the user a certain ability within the spellbook?

The method I'm going for is using Levels in the Dummy Spellbook. Each Level within the Dummy Spellbook has a skill pertaining to certain items, and every time the hero equips an item, it will gain a certain skill via a Level of the spellbook.

If i'm not overlooking anything, I won't be able to have different amounts of abilities in the Real Spellbook due to the faulty method?

Please help me out on this, I've been hitting myself in the head and starting over and over again for about 2 weeks now.
If you need any clarifications please ask!! I don't think I have explained all of it but I'm not sure where

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.