How to: Use Custom Unit Sounds

Chocobo

White-Flower
Reaction score
This is a Tutorial that shows you how to add to Unit your own Sound Set. It can not work fine to all units because each unit has differants sound sets. For the example, we will use Rifleman Sound Set.

A demo map is attached to the post, you may download it if you don't get what to do.

For TFT

1. What are Custom Sound Sets
1.1 Where to find the location of a Custom Sound Set in World Editor
1.2 Where to find the location of a Custom Sound Set in Sound Editor
1.3 What to do next?
1.4 Problems that occurs.
1.5 Warcraft 3 TFT Miscs
1.6 Sounds Events
1.7 Extras Comments

For RoC and no Import Manager

2. What to use?
2.1 Where to Import the Files?
2.2 What to do then?

For TFT

1. What are Custom Sound Sets

Custom Sound Sets are a pack of sounds scattered on multiple .wave files. Most of them contains a Death Sound, multiple Pissed Sounds, sounds when they are ready, answers when you click on them, cries when you order the unit to attack a fixed unit, and sometimes a War Cry.

1.1 Where to find the location of a Custom Sound Set in World Editor

Open the World Editor, then go to Unit Editor. Select the Rifleman, and find Unit Sound Set (You can use search)

Tut1.jpg

1.2 Where to find the location of a Custom Sound Set in Sound Editor

Open the World Editor, then go to the Sound Editor. After, go to : Units\Human\Rifleman . You will find all sounds of the Rifleman Sound Set.

Tut2.jpg

1.3 What to do next?

Import all sounds you want for your unit. We must know the path in which we will give the sounds. We know already that Rifleman Sounds set is located at Units\Human\Rifleman . We will try to override them. As we see, there are 23 Sounds for the Rifleman (Ignore Attack Sounds). We will import 23 sounds. Here the full path for all sounds used :

RiflemanDeath.wav : Sound\Units\Human\Rifleman\RiflemanDeath.wav
RiflemanPissed1.wav : Sound\Units\Human\Rifleman\RiflemanPissed1.wav
RiflemanPissed2.wav : Sound\Units\Human\Rifleman\RiflemanPissed2.wav
RiflemanPissed3.wav : Sound\Units\Human\Rifleman\RiflemanPissed3.wav
RiflemanPissed4.wav : Sound\Units\Human\Rifleman\RiflemanPissed4.wav
RiflemanPissed5.wav : Sound\Units\Human\Rifleman\RiflemanPissed5.wav
RiflemanPissed6.wav : Sound\Units\Human\Rifleman\RiflemanPissed6.wav
RiflemanPissed7.wav : Sound\Units\Human\Rifleman\RiflemanPissed7.wav
RiflemanPissed8.wav : Sound\Units\Human\Rifleman\RiflemanPissed8.wav
RiflemanReady1.wav : Sound\Units\Human\Rifleman\RiflemanReady1.wav
RiflemanWarcry1.wav : Sound\Units\Human\Rifleman\RiflemanWarcry1.wav
RiflemanWhat1.wav : Sound\Units\Human\Rifleman\RiflemanWhat1.wav
RiflemanWhat2.wav : Sound\Units\Human\Rifleman\RiflemanWhat2.wav
RiflemanWhat3.wav : Sound\Units\Human\Rifleman\RiflemanWhat3.wav
RiflemanWhat4.wav : Sound\Units\Human\Rifleman\RiflemanWhat4.wav
RiflemanYes1.wav : Sound\Units\Human\Rifleman\RiflemanYes1.wav
RiflemanYes2.wav : Sound\Units\Human\Rifleman\RiflemanYes2.wav
RiflemanYes3.wav : Sound\Units\Human\Rifleman\RiflemanYes3.wav
RiflemanYes4.wav : Sound\Units\Human\Rifleman\RiflemanYes4.wav
RiflemanYesAttack1.wav : Sound\Units\Human\Rifleman\RiflemanYesAttack1.wav
RiflemanYesAttack2.wav : Sound\Units\Human\Rifleman\RiflemanYesAttack2.wav
RiflemanYesAttack3.wav : Sound\Units\Human\Rifleman\RiflemanYesAttack3.wav
RiflemanYesAttack4.wav : Sound\Units\Human\Rifleman\RiflemanYesAttack4.wav

Here what it looks after importing all sounds for the Rifleman Sound Set in the Import Manager :

Tut3.jpg

1.4 Problems that occurs.

Before testing it directly in-game, you must test the sounds. First Save AS your map. If it gives compiles error suddently, it is because you opened a Sound from Windows Media Player : Your Map Is Dead. If it doesn't, we will try the sound pack. Go to the Sound Editor, and select your sounds.

Tut4.jpg

They all must have the exact path of their equivalent in the Rifleman Sound Set. (It is Units\Human\Rifleman\<whatever>)

If no, check your imported file paths. If yes, select a sound in the "Original" path (The non-imported sounds), and play all of them. All Sounds must play good the sound you wanted.

Finished!

1.5 Warcraft 3 TFT Miscs

There are some Miscs by TFT's World Editor.
1 : If you are using .mp3 you import as .wav, weirdly, the Sound Volume will get buffed, and will get converted to .wav.
2 : If you get problems because a Sound is missing for your Set, you have to import an another to its path. (You will have 2 same Sounds but not at same path)
3 : If you don't fill all sounds used, you must try to fill them (Again, not Attack Sounds).

1.6 Sounds Events

Most of the times, a Sound Set contains lot of Sounds.

Attack : Occurs when the unit starts attacking an enemy. (You don't have to click on the unit)
Death : Whenver the unit dies, the Death Sound will be played.
Pissed : When you click a lot of times on the unit, weird sounds will be played instead of normals, which are called Pissed Sounds.
Ready : Occurs only one time for a single unit, it is played when the unit is spawned by a building (Example : Barracks for Rifleman), or when they got revived by an Altar (Example : Paladin).
Warcry : Occurs when you order the unit to attack a specific unit.
What : Occurs when you click on the unit only. Replaced by Pissed Sounds if you click multiple times on the unit in a short time.
Yes : Occurs when you order the unit to do a "Friendly" Action.
YesAttack : Occurs when you order the unit to "Attack-Move", or an order similar to it.

1.7 Extras Comments for the Sound Editor Functions

From Zakyath : Try left clicking on the sounds and 'Replace Internal Sound' instead of importing them like that.

I never noticed that. When you Right Click on the a Sound that is already there (Not Imported), there is "Replace Internal Sound", which let you avoid the Import Manager and Path Errors. If you don't get where "Replace Internal Sound", you can press "Control+P" to get directly to "Replace Internal Sound" Action.

Tut6.jpg

For RoC and no Import Manager

2. What to use?

For this Tutorial, we will use MPQ Editor. I don't remember where you can download it.

2.1 Where to Import the Files?

You must know what path is used by the Sound Set. We will use Rifleman as example (Again). We know the path used by the Rifleman is Units\Human\Rifleman\<whatever> (Check at Chapter 1.3).
We will import all files here, and create Folders Required.
To create a New Folder, click on Operations, then to New Folder.

2.2 What to do then?

You import the files at their exact path they must be (Check at Chapter 1.3).
Then you save it, and its finished!

It should look like that :

Tut5.jpg

This Tutorial is finished. Have fun with it and Good Luck!

N2o)

Retired.
Reaction score
5/5 nice tutorial, easy and clean information and good use of screenshots. +rep one little thing
Pissed : When you click a lot of time on the unit
It should be times.

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
Nice tutorial. But I have a question for you: there is possible to make a custom sound set whitout replacing an existent one? :)

jpres

Reaction score
Chocobo said:
This is a Tutorial that shows you how to add to Unit your own Sound Set. It can not work fine to all units because each unit has differants sound sets. For the example, we will use Rifleman Sound Set.

Different

Synthetics

Reaction score
Great tutorial btw please mention that wavs must in mono not stereo it took me ages to work that out. Audacity is a good free program for audio editing :D

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
sry for being a necromancer, but may i ask for an explanation of the effect and channel options in the sound properties menu?

Beetlebomb

Reaction score
How are they corrupted and how can i fix them? They are Mp3 files but i custom pathed them exactly as what the pathing was...a .wav file. is that the problem?

Beetlebomb

Reaction score
Lol, i've been checking this thread at least twice a day for a response to this because i can't continue my map until i figure this out. Can you please tell me how my .wavs are corrupted and how i can fix them? I would be very grateful.

fiedore

Reaction score
Sorry for digging up old thread, but when does actually warcry sound occur? Is there any list of counter units triggering these sounds?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.