How to: Use Trackables

martix

There is no spoon
Reaction score
Well, you are willing to let it die, and since its the only one about trackables around here its worth putting in the tutorial repository, however bad it is(not that its bad at all).

wonderpriest

Reaction score
Well, evertime I bump it, it's on like the fifth page only a few hours later. So, if people don't like it, then I will stop bumping it.

Pahl

Reaction score
Gdam it. I think it should be in the tutorial-section. I can think of many cool things you could do with this, and would never have known it was possible without this post.
But i guess its not up to me. :(

Halo_king116

Working As Intended
Reaction score
That would be a nice addition. Telling them how is one this, but showing them with an example map helps a lot more. It would be best if you include comments, etc.

And be assured that they know about the tutotial, they know everyhthing, It is just a matter of time before it gets accepted, it's not like it will disappear when you don't bump it enough.

Those are my thoughts.

wonderpriest

Reaction score
Okay, I'll make a map now using all GUI (except the required JASS) to show how easy it is to use.
Anyone got any ideas for a little game or something showing what you can do that would be useful?

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah we have all the potential Tutorial Submissions thrreads bookmarked for consideration and checking in a special place, a secret place :D

Halo_king116

Working As Intended
Reaction score
A game? No idea, sorry :p

But perhaps try to do it as much as you can in GUI, and the required JASS.

Then also have it in completely JASS coding. That way JASS lovers can read it, and also GUI lovers (Like me, I haven't tooken the time to learn JASS, not that I think it's stupid in anyway)

Though I know that takes time, so do as your schedual allows.

special place, a secret place :D

;) That sparks imagination on a 1st degree :D

wonderpriest

Reaction score
Halo_king116 said:
But perhaps try to do it as much as you can in GUI, and the required JASS.

Then also have it in completely JASS coding. That way JASS lovers can read it,
I will definately have it in as much GUI as I can, but despite this, if the whole map is based on trackables then there will be a good bit of JASS, unlike if they were used in a GUI map, because it would only be a small part.

martix

There is no spoon
Reaction score
wonderpriest said:
Okay, I'll make a map now using all GUI (except the required JASS) to show how easy it is to use.
Anyone got any ideas for a little game or something showing what you can do that would be useful?
A game? Eh, I got one idea, I was thinking I'd make it using selection events, as a mini project, but since you asked...
You know that game memory. There are 4 diffrent coloured quarters of a circle(or whatever variation you want). And they glow one after another in diffrent patters with increasing difficulty. And you have to memorize the pattern and re-click it. It also usually comes accompanied by a diffrent sound for each element, though it wouldn't matter much in this case. You could search/make some simple 3D buttons(or something) models. And include a random pattern generation engine. And use this models to create trackables. Then include it as a demo map accompaniing the tutorial.

wonderpriest

Reaction score
martix said:
You know that game memory. There are 4 diffrent coloured quarters of a circle(or whatever variation you want). And they glow one after another in diffrent patters with increasing difficulty. And you have to memorize the pattern and re-click it. It also usually comes accompanied by a diffrent sound for each element, though it wouldn't matter much in this case. You could search/make some simple 3D buttons(or something) models. And include a random pattern generation engine. And use this models to create trackables. Then include it as a demo map accompaniing the tutorial.
Seems like alot just for an example :p
But I like the idea though, so if you don't mind I'll just simplify it. If it turns out good, can I use it for my mini-game map?

martix

There is no spoon
Reaction score
Sure... What I'm good at is generating ideas, actually at map-making I'd immidiately replace someone who has original ideas for every amount of know-how!

wonderpriest

Reaction score
Well, I haven't gotten the example done yet, as I've been busy, and because I didn't want to do a (total) half ass I kinda turned it into a full multiplayer game :p But I think I shall finish it soon, it's a neat minigame of sorts which is like the card game Memory, where you must remember where the cards were placed. I don't know how fun it is, but I am trying to include useful code =P

For now though, you can look at KaTTana's. He made an older map use trackables, and you can look at his code and see how he uses the trackable functions and handle variables.
Fun game too :D

Remember that this is a map from KaTTana (wc3jass.com, great jass site!) so don't give me credit for it. However, the tutorial is mine...

Again, you can PM me or post here with any concerns / questions / comments / problems about this tutorial, or trackables, and I'll be happy to help or fix something.

Attachments

• Bombs.w3x
    33 KB · Views: 326
W

Wazat

I always wondered if something like this was supported in WC3. I'll keep it in mind from now on -- I've already dismissed a few ideas in the past that would use it because I didn't think it was available.

wonderpriest

Reaction score
That's pretty much the whole reason I wrote the tutorial, to bring this to attention, like I said. Thanks for the reply :)

Tonks

Reaction score
Could this possibly be used to make a unit follow your mouse?
Such as, you make a very thin little maze and you have to navigate it with your mouse, and your unit is stuck to your mouse so that when you move your mouse, it moves with it.

W

Wabolas

Hey guys, I know this is a month old but the last post had a good idea, and if it is possible could you write a code so that the camera follows your mouse? Like every .1 seconds the camera moves to where your mouse is?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.