How to: Use Trackables

corvusHaunt

Reaction score
Yes, and yes.

Just remember that trackables, whether you make them invisible or not, take rendering power and/or memory. Not to mention that you need to use the gamecache to fetch handle values like coordinates and the like, so don't plan on using these in an intense high-action or large map (assuming you place alot of these). This problem would be much smaller if you could move and destroy trackables; and eliminated if there were natives regarding cooridinates and such; but sadly, no such natives exist.

Don't let that discourage you. Filling a big map with these is not a good idea, but used in moderation (as in, a medium sized maze, or small area), they can greatly enhance gameplay. After all, would you rather have to order your unit every time or just click on the ground?
The camera thing can also be done, and would be a great addition to a cinematic, mini-game, or even a sniper-type map to allow control of the camera.

I am the co-creator of this tutorial, and I approve this bump.

Cilla

is watching you! Ahh, fresh meat!
Reaction score
Is there no way to destroy a trackable or remove it from the memory at all?
If you would create a trackable every lets say 0.1 sec, would it mess up the game?

Anyway bump for a good tutorial

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
> destroy a trackable or remove it from the memory at all?
Unfortunately there isn't.

> create a trackable every lets say 0.1 sec, would it mess up the game?
Well in general anything created every 0.1 sec can't be good.
And since trackables can't be destroyed...well you get the idea.

Fatmankev

Chef, Writer, and Midnight Toker
Reaction score
Cool

Definitely an awesome tutorial, although you should mention the limited usage of trackables in GUI that the WEU provides (I don't think you did, but I may have missed it).

I may actually begin designing a Murder/Mystery-themed game based off of the information in this tutorial. Also, your idea of creating an incredibly simple tutorial for JASS would be a great idea. Explaining why each little part is in there, rather than just how to make the more simple triggers, would be a great help to idiots like me. Keep up the good work!

swe_suffer

Reaction score
I think there is a limit of the maximum number of trackables that can be used on a map... And I think it is 1848

Anyway good tut!

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
I think there is a limit of the maximum number of trackables that can be used on a map... And I think it is 1848

Anyway good tut!

I don't know about online, but I know I've had more offline. Had about 20,000, though it was lagging the crap out of my computer when creating them. :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.