How Would i shoot lazers?

rover2341

Is riding a roller coaster...Wee!
Reaction score
I am working on a Space game where a gun men can shoot lasers. But i have no idea how to do that part.

I mean, do i just make units, that look like a laser per shot? and have them move in the direction i want?

Narks

Vastly intelligent whale-like being from the stars
Reaction score
you need to fire them through the eyes

or try using a modified lightning attack (try adding the night elf ability Lightning Attack [i think its night elf] to your unit, then you could import a custom lightning texture).

rover2341

Reaction score
Hmm, K i need to be able to fire it at any time. Meaning. I want them to be able to click any somewhere on the map, and then they fire there lazer that direction, and it floats off into to space. So i need spell to be able to go off by clicking on ground, and not just people. Also thats more of zap.

One sec adding more info...

Information

I am looking for a lazer that my battle cruiser can shoot. I want it to be like a plase lazer, so it shoots, and can miss the thing there shooting at. also, i want them to be able to shoot 30-50 lazers.

Azlier

Old World Ghost
Reaction score
Just a sliding unit, or maybe a short line of sliding units will do it.

Do you want it to fire when you left-click anywhere at any time? Right-click anywhere with a unit selected? When you use an ability that targets both points ant units?

>shockwave

Is a terrible ability. It creates a terrain deformation, and it's very laggy. The lag never seems to go away either, it just keeps building up. I think it's an ability that leaks.

Carrion Swarm is a much better choice.

rover2341

Reaction score
Just points is fine. but Units also would be better.

Just a sliding unit, or maybe a short line of sliding units will do it.

K this seems like the plan for now.

jomik

Reaction score
@Azlier; Shockwave were just an idea :p Not that much into the lag creation of abilities yet :p
And when do you want it to trigger? Like, unit uses ability at a point, and alot of those lazers fly there?
Or the other things Azlier said? We wont be able to help you getting started before that is cleared :p

Nexor

Reaction score
Or you could make it with lightning effects, then you need only two points that will "move" and move the lightning along wit the points

jomik

Reaction score
Sure, that is probably somewhat easily achieveable in JASS, but it probably wont get MUI in GUI that easily? :O And if he'd want 30-50 shots per ship? :O That's a pretty damn huge amount of effects? :O Just hope he cleans leaks properly :p
But we still need the way to trigger those shots :p

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you just want to left click anywhere on the map, you may have to use trackables to track where the player clicks.

rover2341

Reaction score
So I could use somthing like this?
trackables

I have used a little jass, but i would hope i could use this just to get the xyz of where they clicked.

The rest in GUI. :)

Edit*

That looks complex. Prehaps ill just have a cannon that rotates that you can see. so then they can aim by that, or....Have them in a speail camera that they can rotate around in, that has a overlay of where there shooting. that sounds best. :)

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, I would recommend to use Azlier's Trackable2. It basically completes the functions that Blizzard forgot about.

Azlier

Old World Ghost
Reaction score
Except for destroy. That, sadly, cannot be done.

BTW: There IS a way to detect left clicks without trackables. But it's rather hard to pull off, and I haven't attempted being able to cast abilities with it active...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.