Environment Hurricane Rita intensifies to category 5 - It's target: Galveston Texas

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
GALVESTON, Texas - Gaining strength with frightening speed, Hurricane Rita swirled toward the Gulf Coast on Wednesday as a Category 5, 165-mph behemoth — the third most intense hurricane on record — as more than 1.3 million people in Texas and Louisiana were sent packing on orders from authorities who learned a bitter lesson from Katrina.

Late Wednesday afternoon the National Hurricane Center released an advisory confirming what many were suspecting: Rita was developing into a monster.

Atmospheric pressure is measured by a barometer in metric units called millibars. The lower the atmospheric pressure inside a hurricane, the more powerful it is.

-----------------

I live in southwest Houston, the place the hurricane supposed to come and sweep through Houston. We're supposedly going to be in the middle of a category 1 hurricane. :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Sargon

Reaction score
XXXconanXXX said:
I live in southwest Houston, the place the hurricane supposed to come and sweep through Houston. We're supposedly going to be in the middle of a category 1 hurricane. :(

Category 1 is a barely-hurricane. You mean Category 5?

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
I dont know the storm should weaken alot when hit land - by the time we get it might only be a Category 1 - right now it is a Category 4.

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
Category 1 is barely anything? The winds will be like 75 mph which is enough to pick a trash bin and throw it through your window.

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
Here is the Houston area forecast tomorrow night from Weather.com

Rain / Thunder / Wind Low
77° F
Precip: 100%

Very windy with bands of heavy rain showers along with some thunder. Humid. Low 77F. N winds at 40 to 60 mph, increasing to 60 to 80 mph. Rainfall over two inches.

Sargon

Reaction score
XXXconanXXX said:
Category 1 is barely anything? The winds will be like 75 mph which is enough to pick a trash bin and throw it through your window.

No, I said it's a barely-hurricane. If it drops below Category 1, it's no longer a hurricane. It's obviously not barely anything, but relative to other hurricanes, it's not nearly as bad.

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
Umm, the storm is Category 4. Hurricane force winds extend like 80 miles from the eyewall. When a hurricane goes under category 1 it turns into a Tropical Storm.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.