Hydra Attacks

Epicurus

Reaction score
I'm making a hydra that attacks with it's range while moving and prefers to attack with the melee attack, even if reaching the target forces them to temporarily leave range attack range.

I have the attack while moving down, but the hydra will stop moving while it is in range for it's range attack.

Epicurus

Reaction score
I want the hydra to try to get into melee range but also attack with range while moving when possible.

Kyuft

Reaction score
Wow, that is intense. Can't think of a way to do this. Maybe give the unit a ranged and melee attack. Make a validator that requires the unit to be moving. Then, put this validator as the Disable validator for the ranged. So, if the unit isn't moving, it will not be able to use it's range attack, therefore it will go to melee attack. While it is moving to use the melee attack, it should use the range attack.

-Kyuft:shades:

Dave312

Censored for your safe viewing
Reaction score
Wow, that is intense. Can't think of a way to do this. Maybe give the unit a ranged and melee attack. Make a validator that requires the unit to be moving. Then, put this validator as the Disable validator for the ranged. So, if the unit isn't moving, it will not be able to use it's range attack, therefore it will go to melee attack. While it is moving to use the melee attack, it should use the range attack.

Unfortunately I don't think that will completely solve the issue. If the hyralisk is unable to move to the unit, it will stop and not attack at all.

I'm thinking that you could add an additional Issue Order effect to its ranged weapon that will order the unit to move to its target. That way the unit will be forced to move towards its target when using its weapon and if it can't reach it's target, then it can remain stationary and attack with its ranged weapon. Let me know if you need help implementing it.

EDIT: I thought I might test what I suggested and it works fine. You need to create 2 new effects. The first is an Issue Order effect with Ability: Ability set to Move, Target: Target + to Target Unit/Point and Unit: Unit + to Caster. The second is a Set effect with Issue Order effect you just created and the Launch Missile effect of the Hyrdalisks ranged weapon added to the Effect: Effects + property. Finally find the Hyrdalisks ranged weapon in the Weapon data type and change the Effect: Effect property to the set effect you just created.

Epicurus

Reaction score
Unfortunately I don't think that will completely solve the issue. If the hyralisk is unable to move to the unit, it will stop and not attack at all.

I'm thinking that you could add an additional Issue Order effect to its ranged weapon that will order the unit to move to its target. That way the unit will be forced to move towards its target when using its weapon and if it can't reach it's target, then it can remain stationary and attack with its ranged weapon. Let me know if you need help implementing it.

EDIT: I thought I might test what I suggested and it works fine. You need to create 2 new effects. The first is an Issue Order effect with Ability: Ability set to Move, Target: Target + to Target Unit/Point and Unit: Unit + to Caster. The second is a Set effect with Issue Order effect you just created and the Launch Missile effect of the Hyrdalisks ranged weapon added to the Effect: Effects + property. Finally find the Hyrdalisks ranged weapon in the Weapon data type and change the Effect: Effect property to the set effect you just created.

Acutally I have a trigger that checks if the path between the hydra and the closest unit from the group is blocked. If it is the unit will attack the nearest building until it can reach it again. This trigger is actually causing some problems too. For instance; the closest unit might not be the hydra's target, the closest building might not be the one blocking the path. I haven't tested it with more than one unit so I'm not sure how it is going to work with 10 people, but I think it might have to change a bit.

Anyways that deals with the hydra not being able to move to the unit. I'll try some of this stuff mentioned in this thread later when I'm at home.

edit:

Ok, so I tried but I think its time to admit that I'm a total noob and don't know how to set up validators.

Dave312

Censored for your safe viewing
Reaction score
Acutally I have a trigger that checks if the path between the hydra and the closest unit from the group is blocked. If it is the unit will attack the nearest building until it can reach it again. This trigger is actually causing some problems too. For instance; the closest unit might not be the hydra's target, the closest building might not be the one blocking the path. I haven't tested it with more than one unit so I'm not sure how it is going to work with 10 people, but I think it might have to change a bit.

Adding the validator will mean the Hydradlisk must be moving in order to attack (i.e it won't be able to attack at all if it is stationary unless it is using the melee attack).

The solution I provided in my previous post will do what you need it to.

Epicurus

Reaction score
Adding the validator will mean the Hydradlisk must be moving in order to attack (i.e it won't be able to attack at all if it is stationary unless it is using the melee attack).

The solution I provided in my previous post will do what you need it to.

I can't think of a time when I would want the hydralisk attacking with range while standing still. If it's path is blcoked it will start attacking a building and I'd rather it use it's melee sense it does about 30 times more damage. The only other time it wont be moving is if it is meleeing a hero that is standing still. I'd want it to use melee in that situation too and in both cases I don't want both attacks going off at the same time because I want to see the melee animation.

I think I'll try the validator first. Actually, I have tried and have no idea how to do that, so if there is a guide for validators anywhere I'd appreciate the link.

Kyuft

Reaction score
I'm not sure if you know how to make requirements, but make the requirement, and then make a validator with type: Player Requirement. Then, in value, select your requirement.

Rivante

Reaction score
My brain melted when I started looking at all the missile stuff, but looking at a more simple route, don't Phoenixes do this already? They fire missile-style attacks and move to the point you select while firing (aka, they don't need to stop to fire, and go where you tell them to go without hesitating)

I'm a bit of a data editor noob, but maybe there's something you can utilize there?

-Rivante

Kyuft

Reaction score
We understand that part, but it gets more complicated than you think. We want the unit to use the melee attack ((% of the time(unless there is no way to get to the enemy). While the unit is moving towards the enemy, we want it to use a ranged attack.

Epicurus, Did the validator way work?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.