I finally, after all these years, might be getting a Nuon.

skip

Reaction score
Not counting my chickens yet, but crossing my fingers. I'll be around these parts a bit more I suspect if I succeed in getting a Nuon and a bunch of games some 10 or 11 years late :D

skip

Reaction score
I finally have it. My first impressions (having played with a friend's n501 a few years back, but I was drunk so it doesn't count):

- T3K, which I've played before, does seem sluggish with the backgrounds on, but there's a great game in there waiting to be cracked. Definitely harder than T2K and Space Giraffe (if you haven't played this make sure you do, it's great).
- VLM 2 is still amazing. Obviously a fair bit less complex than Neon on the 360, but miles ahead of the Jag VLM. Gotta work out the 'controls'.
- Iron Soldier 3...I checked the date, Kev sent this to me in 2002 (!!!). The IS accelerates much faster than I was used to in the Jag versions, and I'm still yet to get used to the controls (they just don't seem as finely tuned as they could've been, but that could be me). Analogue control on my Logitech seems a bit 'off', but I'll have a longer go in future. The lack of texture warping was the first thing that struck me, the German style electronica was the second, the obvious Jaguar heritage the third thing (I was thinking a little more visual 'oompf' or at least variety)...don't get me wrong, it's a pretty game that runs silky smooth. I might save digging into this one until after I replay IS 1 & IS 2 CD.
- Space Invaders - a quick and dirty port that would've been equally at home on a Sega Megadrive / Genesis. The battle mode is great fun, but still, they could've spiced it up a bit. Now, back to battle mode :)
- Ballistic - meh. Dozens of cheap or free iOS versions of this sort of game. Which is fine when I'm on an iPad or iPhone, but back to the point, there doesn't seem to have been much effort made here. I might give it more than a five minute go sometime when I'm bored. Maybe.

Now to get Merlin Racing and Freefall. And burn some of the freeware games etc. I vaguely remember interviewing / emailing / conversing with the developer of Freefall around the time he moved to Australia, but I can't remember why other than for interest. I don't think anything was published or saved unfortunately, though I may have it saved on an old external hard drive. Something to search for over a lazy Australian summer ;)

Good to finally have the machine, albeit a decade late :)

skip

Reaction score
Is the Games + Demos disc still available? I can't seem to find it on your Cafepress store.

3DOMan

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I'll be honest my favorite game for NUON is probably Merlin. Here's how I rank the games:

1) Merlin Racing
2) Iron Soldier 3
3) Tempest 3000
4) Freefall
5) Next Tetris
6) Ballistic
7) Space Invaders

None of the games are really horrible...Space Invaders is a mediocre game saved only by a somewhat fun battle mode and sweet Zuntata soundtrack with music from some of my favorite Taito games. Ballistic and Tetris are fun games despite less than graphically impressive. I mean NUON couldn't have done better than a Tetris with a PLAIN black background? The games that truly showed NUON's processing power are Tempest, Iron Soldier 3, and Freefall. Most people writeoff Merlin as a Mario Kart ripoff but I think its innovative, since it includes Wipeout and JetMoto style levels also, plus is has a cool soundtrack. Freefall is a tough game with tricky controls but isn't bad once you get used to it.

K3V

NUON-Dome Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is the Games + Demos disc still available? I can't seem to find it on your Cafepress store.

Hmm I thought it was but they changed to a third party vendor for their CD's/DVD's so I'll have to re-set it up.

Actually - shoot me a PM with your address and I'll send you something even better if I still have 'em :)

3DOMan

Reaction score
If it's the same disc that good deal games was selling...I believe all those games are available on a semi-legal torrent download now :O

3DOMan

Reaction score
They had a bunch at one point...years ago. I'm pretty sure they were purchased directly from the source but of course now they sold out.

3DOMan

Reaction score
I bought my copy from there, it wasn't much...maybe $10 or $20 at most. Their prices are wicked good, he doesn't gouge for anything.

skip

Reaction score
Does anyone have a copy of either Freefall or Merlin Racing to sell? If not, off to Amazon I go. In addition, I guess if anyone has The Next Tetris to sell, let me know...however unlikely that is, I'm aware of this.

Same with the Games + Demos Disc, I don't seem to be able to locate it anywhere.

Oh - has anyone experience burning demo discs / freeware etc using a Mac? I have three Macs here that are perfectly capable of burning, but of the two PCs, the laptop has a busted DVD/CD burner, and the other Windows PC takes about a week to start up... ;)

Oh, there'll probably be a Nuon retrospective article up in one or possibly two places soon(ish). Of course, nuon-dome.com will be mentioned :)

3DOMan

Reaction score
I have copies of Merlin and Freefall you can basically have for just a hair more than shipping cost...if you don't mind having them in black DVD cases. I l00ted the gold DVD cases a while back ^.^

K3V

NUON-Dome Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a copy of either Freefall or Merlin Racing to sell? If not, off to Amazon I go. In addition, I guess if anyone has The Next Tetris to sell, let me know...however unlikely that is, I'm aware of this.

Same with the Games + Demos Disc, I don't seem to be able to locate it anywhere.

Oh - has anyone experience burning demo discs / freeware etc using a Mac? I have three Macs here that are perfectly capable of burning, but of the two PCs, the laptop has a busted DVD/CD burner, and the other Windows PC takes about a week to start up... ;)

Oh, there'll probably be a Nuon retrospective article up in one or possibly two places soon(ish). Of course, nuon-dome.com will be mentioned :)

Let me know when the article is posted - I'll use it for the homepage's annual update ;)

Keep an eye on your mailbox! Shipped your package out Saturday via Priority Mail.

skip

Reaction score
3DOMan : do they have the proper Nuon covers and instructions? If so, I'm in. If not, I'll probably still be in if shipping to Aus isn't too much. Let me know and I'll organise money for you. In a week I'll be on a 7 week or so holiday from work...and this year, as opposed to most years when I'm either interstate or overseas for a chunk of it, I plan on staying at home doing sensible thinks like fixing my arcade machine, playing games, drinking beer while working on the garden or painting. So yeah, the more games I have for summer, the better :)

K3V : Awesome! Do I owe you $$$ for shipping? Let me know and I'll send you cash via Paypal.

3DOMan

Reaction score
Everything is there...the game DVDs, inserts, and instructions are 100% original. The only thing missing is the gold case. The contents have been transferred to a standard black DVD case. The discs are of course unplayed and like new, so no worries there. Shipping to australia will be alot but since you are paying for it, it doesn't bother me. PM me your exact address and I'll get some quotes for you, mate

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.