I have a couple of Qs for map making pros,,,

Winterherz

Reaction score
It's more like a survey

1. What is the reputation of custom RPGs here? We're they fun/sucked? from your experience...

2. What do you expect from a well executed custom RPG?

3. What makes RPG fun and what are the points to avoid sucking/boring/wished you've never played it?

4. How many class/roles do you expect on a good RPG? and what kind?

5. Party or solo?

6. Your comments.......

giving out rep for some replies

Komaqtion

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
1. Well, you mean in general, right ? :eek:
I generally like RPG's, though they take forever to go through, which makes them need save/load codes, which I always loose XD
But they really need ALOT of work for them to be good, long RPG's...
If this is your first project, I'd probably consider doing something else, though...

2. Nice quests, balanced heroes, good variety of creeps, and bosses :D

3. Hmm... Good question :S
I'd say alot of teamwork ! :D
And, as above, a good variety of creeps and bosses ;)

4. Well, maybe 5 - 7/8 or something :S
It really depends on the type of game, and how well made they will be ;)

Some classic classes I'd suggest are:
Warrior/Tank
Swordsman/Berserker/Shieldbreaker (Just something new I came up with XD)
Cleric/Priest
Mage/Wizard
Warlock
Rouge/Assassin

5. I'd say mix 'em up ! :D
I like to party alot, but doing things solo is nice too, sometimes :D

6. As I said first, RPG's take up a lot of time to make (If they're going to be well-made :D), and they will definately test you patience :p And, it's probably not a very good project to do as your first, as it takes quite some skill to do the balancing, and a good terrain and quests and such :D

But, if you feel you're up for it, then I say Go For It ! :p

HydraRancher

Truth begins in lies
Reaction score
1. What is the reputation of custom RPGs here? We're they fun/sucked? from your experience...

What do you mean by here? If you mean on this site, I have never played one.

Good storyline, no leaks, no stupid jumping into walls or something, that kind of thing.

3. What makes RPG fun and what are the points to avoid sucking/boring/wished you've never played it?

I love cinematics, whatching a peasant turn into a zombie (with excellent special effects of course) is fun to see. I also really like ORPG`s you get the feeling of playing one of those MMORPGs like Flyff or Guild Wars without having to download a whole new game, sign up, learn how to play, nice and fun with save/load in Warcraft.

I prefer classified into Races, and Attack Types, so for example. You have 3 races, Undead, Human, Alien. You then have 9 taverns, Undead Ranged, Undead Melee, Undead Magic, etc.

5. Party or solo?

I prefer a bit of both, if you have pure solo, the pros will just wipe out all the creeps, finish all the quests first, that kind of thing. If you have pure Party, the noobs miss out on things, the Pros might not WANT to PL (Power Level) the noobs.

6. Your comments.......

What I hate to see in a game, is horrible Buffs, or Abilities, gameplay etc.

Example: So you have a paladin nice damage but stats like 25, 25, 25, bit boring, but ok for now. You look at its skills, first one. Smite, with the picture of Storm Bolt.
You read the description: Smiths the enamy. stuns does dam
You think: WHAT?

You pick it anyway and look for some creeps to pwn.
A zombie comes along, it is called Stinky Breath. You look at it, and it has the exact same stats as a usual zombie. You cast "Smith" on it. You look carefully at the buff and guess what, it says Storm Bolt.
You kill it, and it drops a potion, (oh no more bad tooltips) you look at the description. "you stronger" I suppose that makes you think its a extra stat potion or something. You drink it. It heals 200 HP, hmm I wonder where that came from.
You walk into town, ooh cinematic! A zombie comes along and attacks a footman, the footman spins around to the zombie taking 6 seconds. The footman dies. A zombie pops up suddenly with the footman corpse still there, and the zombie not even playing its birth animation. A knight comes along, it is called the King, it says BEGONE. And the zombie runs away.
When the cinematic ends, you walk up to the King, he says, get rid of those beasts, and use -save if you want to keep your character for next game. Obediently, you type -save. It comes out with:

hero1ability1lvl1itemnone

Oh noes.

Its dinner and you quit the game after copying down this inventive code. You come back later, and start playing. You type:

-load hero1abilitz1lvl1itemnone

The game says, OMG YOU TRY CHEAT, and a huge frost wyrm with 10 scaling value, comes and pwns your wisp. You get a defeat message saying:
"U SUK LOSR"

Eventually you find the maker of the game and call him an idiot. The End.

Zwiebelchen

Reaction score
To make it short:
If you do not know what makes a good rpg and have to ask others for common mistakes, ideas, etc. before even getting started, don't try to create one. You will fail anyways.

HailCommi

Reaction score
Agree with most of the above posts. Personally, I like RPG's that have a good, well-written storyline (I know it's already said, but I want to elaborate). This spans everything in an RPG map from Quests to NPCs to Artifacts etc. etc. They should all be strung together by a story that makes sense. If you are making single-player RPG, make the storyline literary as well (i.e. have role reversals, have your NPCs change alignments, have NPCs die, etc). All in all, add some flesh and blood to your RPG framework so that is not merely "click, kill, and level up". Pull the player into the game and make them want to stay there. Just my two cents anyway.

Viikuna

No Marlo no game.
Reaction score
Same things aply that for normal RPG games there is.

If you like WoW, you need to think what there is in WoW that you like and try to create stuff that does the same effect.

( Doesnt mean that it has to be anything like WoW is, there is different ways to get the same feeling/effect, after all )

I myself have been playing Fallout 3 recently, and its pretty damn cool IMO. If I made a RPG, Id tried to think what makes Fallout 3 so cool.

( Again, I dont mean to copy all the ideas from it. My RPG would probably happen in some Faerie Forest, and not in ruins of some post nuclear D.C.
Id probable focus to make some interesting interraction stuff with player and envinronment, so player actually feels like the stuff he does matters. )

Anyways, good wc3 RPGs are mostly those old campaigns made by guys like Med.MapGuy and others, althout those campaigns are not really RPGs, but the reason why they work is the good story line, which is also an important thing in RPG maps. ( Check Joes Chronicles, Shards of the Resistance for example. )

Also RDZ has made these cool RPGs maps, such as This Wreckage, whichn is probably the coolest single RPG map in wc3 I have played. Its worth of trying for sure.

Theres also many very well made multiplayer RPG maps, but I havent yet managed to find one that would have been really cool. In the end they are too repetitive for my taste: you just kill monsters after monsters and gain levels after levels..

For me RPG is more about story line and exploring the world, which is really cool in some RPGs. Also making choises and seeing how they affect to the world around you is something that feels cool.

Anyways, if you are to make a RPG, make sure its top quality and think the stuff properly through. Id rather play a small & short, but well made RPG, that some big one, which mostly sucks but is only sometimes cool.

( This is wc3 after all, making some really big scale project takes shitloads of time and are something not really doable in wc3. Happily wc3 doesnt limit the coolnes of stuff you make, so its indeed possible to make some really really cool stuff, and that is what you should focus on. )

Darkranger85

Reaction score
To make it short:
If you do not know what makes a good rpg and have to ask others for common mistakes, ideas, etc. before even getting started, don't try to create one. You will fail anyways.

I'm sorry, I am new here but, comments like this one serve no useful purpose other then discouraging new map makers.

And just because he is asking for peoples ideas does not mean he has no idea what he's doing.

Either post something productive or keep your opinion to yourself.

Now to rephrase that post, if you don't have the experience that is fine, a recommendation would be to play a few and identify the flaws and eliminate them from yours.

Everyone has to start somewhere.

Zwiebelchen

Reaction score
I'm sorry, I am new here but, comments like this one serve no useful purpose other then discouraging new map makers.
True. But if he doesn't create a map just because of a discouraging comment, don't you think he would have never even made it past the hero selection? XD

Darkranger85

Reaction score
That may be so, but it is far more productive to give useful advice to help him succeed rather then discouraging him.

A forums goal should not be to make it's new members run a gauntlet of discouragment in order to "weed out" those that are unworthy. It should be to make sure they get nothing but Los of useful help and encouragment in order that they can one day be pros and be able to offer their assistance to the community.

skyblader

You're living only because it's illegal killing.
Reaction score

I've liked RPGs, but I haven't really seen one that is up to my expectations. Maybe I'm too picky, but there are some proper RPGs. That includes RPGs with a proper storyline/gameplay, and fits the description "RPG".

If there is a storyline, don't make it too crazy or you know, stupid. Good quests that are not that boring (Doing the same short thing over and over for like 50 times to grind), Instead, create longer and more variety/different quests. Also, a good introduction to an RPG is always needed.

Most of the time, I hate playing new RPGs because there's so many things to learn in the process, and not at the start.

Making your RPG unique is another important thing, but also very challenging.

Variety of monsters/creeps/mobs/boss, short cinematics to make the game interesting, even long ones, but only if you type something or don't cancel it. E.g. You have completed the King's Oath! Click escape in 10 seconds if you do not wish to watch the cinematic. Etc.

Teamwork! But when I said that, I meant teamwork, you require teamwork to overcome the difficulty, not so much of the tanker can tank all kinds of damage, the boss has some crazy health, then when fighting a boss, you just go in as a team, the tank tanks, and everyone just spam skills at the boss and wait for like.... 1 hour? Before the boss is finally down.

The more the better! New races make people want to play more, want to see the race, rate, comment, etc. But it'll need a lot of balancing, and each race has to have its own good, but not something like. Race 1 has very low health but godly damage. Race 2 has Average health and damage. Race 2 can solo a boss but race 1 cannot because race 1 dies in 1 hit.

I'd say, maybe further expanding on the 4 (or more) main races. E.g.
Swordsman can be paladin, can be a tank, can be a knight, like one has more damage, one has more support abilities, one has more health and armour, etc.

5. Party or solo?

I think RPGs would be better for party, BUT it shouldn't prove boring or too much trouble for low levels. I suggest for lower levels to get more experience from creeps, and is easier than a standard RPG, but high levels are not allowed in. This way, new players won't find it boring and old players can't take advantage of it.

6. comments

All in all, I think people have different preferences, I think for a successful RPG, you would have to put a lot of effort into it, and also see how people comment and rate on your RPG, and improve from there on. Rpgs aren ot gonna be easy to make. :) Good luck!:thup:

Sarj14

Reaction score
I have seen some good ones, and some bad ones. Overall, not many have impressed me.

If you are going to make an RPG, then be prepared to dedicate a lot of time to make something that will be able to keep up and compete with The Kingdom of Kaliron. At the bottom of this post will be a list of things that will make an RPG well.

Gameplay, a good story line. As I said, look at the bottom of this post for a list.

Here are a few:
Tank
Range DPS
Melee DPS
Caster
Buffer/Enchanter

5. Party or solo?
Giving the ability to play with other people is a huge + in my opinion. Though, the features you can give in a solo RPG map will give you the ability to take the Warcraft 3 engine to a extent. This is a great question, but I think both can balance each gameplay out.

6. Your comments.......
Make sure you can keep up with The Kingdom of Kaliron or it will eat your map.

List
- A good story
- Custom spells
- Many group quests (multiplayer)
- Many quests
- Many items
- Save/Load
- Dungeons
- Terrain
- Map (if possible)
- Hot Key Spells! (All keys around WASD) =D
- Creep Respawn
- Teleporter (To travel to cities around the world)
- Item Feature (Only one 2h weapon can be used, or 2 1h weapons)

These are a few things that will make a great RPG!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.