I need a host suggestion

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
I am looking for a hosting service (paid, I need serious stuff) with low storing space (around 1, 2 GB), because I will be using it for my portfolio website, which will not need so much space.

Also, I need the host to provide support for PHP, MySQL (I don't need an extensive number of databases, 1 would suffice, I'd say), at least one e-mail address and preferably with cPanel and a MySQL user interface.

Of course, I would like to be able to upgrade this plan, if the need occurs.

So, any ideas?

For the record, I am asking for a service like this because most well-established hosting services have offers with 10GB space, huge bandwidth, lots of databases and a lot of other stuff, which I don't really need and would hate to pay for.

Thanks!

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you have a budget? It will probably be tough to find a host that has a plan with specifically that low of a disk allocation, but then I might also be able to find you space on a server I already manage with some other people on it. :) No cPanel, but it might work.
If you really want your own account, then you're probably looking at something like this:

http://www.hostgator.com/

I've vowed never to use shared hosting again because it's crap and all that "unlimited" stuff is nothing but lies. But it is cheap.

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
Yeah, I am also not too fond of sharing hosting and I knew finding a service with such low disk space could prove to be a challenge, but it worth a try.

I don't really have a budget, but I'd rather not spend money on something I don't use.

I won't purchase a service too soon, I was just fishing for suggestions, but for the record, how much would you charge for that space, if you are able to give an estimate?

Thank you for the reply!

GetTriggerUnit-

DogEntrepreneur
Reaction score
In my opinion, you should buy an old computer (cheap prize) and make your own server. Then you install linux/php and you have an awesome server for a cheap prize. You just need to buy a domain and voilà.

Lyerae

I keep popping up on this site from time to time.
Reaction score
And old computer with a LAMP stack (+ FTP / SSH, if you need that too) would probably be the best option, but your ISP (and power bill) might not like that idea so much. Still, it's something to think about.

GetTriggerUnit-

DogEntrepreneur
Reaction score
And old computer with a LAMP stack (+ FTP / SSH, if you need that too) would probably be the best option, but your ISP (and power bill) might not like that idea so much. Still, it's something to think about.

That's what I meant and what I would do in your situation. You really don't need a good computer. 512MB of ram would be plenty as long as there is no GUI on the os.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
any chance your college provides you with something like that? I know my college gives me 5gb of hosting and php/mySQL, but no real interface other then FTP (I haven't tried installing anything else, although I probably could install wordpress or ruby or something if I wanted to)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.