I need a special kind of actor

Builder Bob

Live free or don't
Reaction score
Does anyone know if it's possible to attach an actor (for model) to a unit that does not inherit the unit's direction when it is moving around?

I want to be able to control the model's direction through triggers. Initial tests using the 'make actor face angle' action seem to make the actor face the direction only until the unit begins moving.

If anyone has a solution or a suggestion for solution I'm listening

Renendaru

(Evol)ution is nothing without love.
Reaction score
If anyone has a solution or a suggestion for solution I'm listening

Well, I somehow bugged an immortal to stop turning even when he moves or attacks, but I don't know how I did it. All I know is, it's possible, at least... Sorry for not being able to help though.

Builder Bob

Live free or don't
Reaction score
Well, I somehow bugged an immortal to stop turning even when he moves or attacks, but I don't know how I did it. All I know is, it's possible, at least... Sorry for not being able to help though.

It's good news something like it is possible. I'm going to keep trying then.

onisagi

Reaction score
there's a flag inside the actors that controls which attributes are transferred when things are operated on the actor. Like i was able to change the size of a unit with an attached actor, without changing the size of the attached actor, by unchecking "scale" under:
Code:
Properties - Accepted Property Transfers

but you may be looking for this one instead?
Code:
Properties - Accepted Transfers

Haven't tested it myself. Hope it works out for you.

Dave312

Censored for your safe viewing
Reaction score
Just remove the flag turnable on the unit (not the actor). You can still set the units rotation via triggers.

Builder Bob

Live free or don't
Reaction score
Ok, I've continued experimenting with a lot of different stuff from both the data editor and the trigger editor and I'm still not able to achieve (Star Control 2 ship movement) what I want without very awkward stuttering visuals.

Removing the flag Turnable and controling the unit's direction with triggers is the closest workable solution so far. Unfortunately, every time I change the direction of a unit while it is moving, it doesn't look very smooth. It's like the unit moves a little backwards or something. Try it to see what I mean.

I've also tested a lot of different fields in the data editor like 'Properties - Accepted Property Transfers' but what this field controls, if anything, I was unable to figure out.

The third thing I've attempted is a system that uses a turret to make the actual model turning. So far this has proved half-successful, at best.

I've still not given up, although I'm not too hopeful anymore...

Edit: *waves at Serra* :)

Renendaru

(Evol)ution is nothing without love.
Reaction score
I've still not given up, although I'm not too hopeful anymore...

Well, I did what you're asking accidentally before, when attempting to make a pheonix fire recreation in starcraft 2... I messed with stuff in movers I think, though I can't remember if that's everything I did...

Builder Bob

Live free or don't
Reaction score
Well, I did what you're asking accidentally before, when attempting to make a pheonix fire recreation in starcraft 2... I messed with stuff in movers I think, though I can't remember if that's everything I did...

Could I trouble you to recreate the accident? :)

I'm really struggling here... I'm sort of able to do it by making the unit unturnable, and change the unit's facing with triggers, but it the animation doesn't look smooth.

Edit: I've attached a test map showing a prototype of the kind of movement I'm attempting to do. It should also reveal what I mean with stuttering movement.

Attachments

• StarControl2MovementTest01.zip
    36.2 KB · Views: 199

onisagi

Reaction score
I'll just assume you're using an instant turning method, so you probably tried reducing your angular step size to smooth out the movement already?

If you've already hit the limits of tweaking that, you could try using issue order to turn your unit instead. There's a specific "order" that turns a unit, it it hasn't failed me in my uses yet.

Builder Bob

Live free or don't
Reaction score
I'll just assume you're using an instant turning method, so you probably tried reducing your angular step size to smooth out the movement already?
That's right. I'm using instant turn 16 times a second. The most I'm able to.

If you've already hit the limits of tweaking that, you could try using issue order to turn your unit instead. There's a specific "order" that turns a unit, it it hasn't failed me in my uses yet.

Using the order creates smooth turns. However, I disabled turnable for the unit to be able to have it move in one direction and not automatically look in the movement direction. This makes the unit unable to issue turn orders.

I've started experimenting with abilities, effects and forces to make the ship move instead now. Hopefully I'll come up with a workable sliding option besides ordering the unit for the actual movement. If I do, I can turn the unit using issued orders. I'll keep this thread updated with my findings if anyone should be interested.

Edit: Attached a map with some smooth sliding. If you want to check it out, use the roaches to cast the modified vortex spell on the other roaches. It'll make them slide downwards. Tomorrow I'll see if I can get more control over this motion, and if I'm lucky, get started on this map I'm planning.

Attachments

• StarControl2MovementTest04.zip
    39.4 KB · Views: 182

Dan

The New Helper.Net gives me great Anxiety... o.O;;
Reaction score
God, it's like we are all working on the same map.

Builder Bob

Live free or don't
Reaction score
God, it's like we are all working on the same map.

Are you making the same thing? Got any tips to help me out? :)

Edit: After doing some more testing with the Apply Force effect, I must disappointingly give up that idea, as applying a force to a target disables that target for as long as the unit slides. Back to the drawing board...

Edit2 - Update: I've successfully been able to attach a model to a unit without the model rotating in the unit's direction as well as keeping the unit's 'turnable' flag. Now my only problem is with how to access this new actor to be able to turn it. I haven't exhausted all I can think of yet, so I'm hopeful on this method.

Edit3: Attached a map with the non rotating model attachment as requested by Dan.

Attachments

• ModelAddNoRotateTest01.zip
    6.4 KB · Views: 187

Builder Bob

Live free or don't
Reaction score
Finally got it working!

It turns out everything to make it working is already in this thread. Somehow I must have done a mistake in my testing of not enabling 'blend' when setting the position of the unit or something else that made it appear not smooth.

Changing the position of a unit 16 times a second with blend enabled makes smooth movement.

Changing the facing of a unit 16 times a second with over 0.01 seconds makes smooth turning.

Thanks to everyone who replied. Now I can get on with the fun stuff in the map

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.