I need some help on creating a "Chained/Linked" Campaign(Rpg).

Ghosttharian

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I've recently been trying to create a custom campaign, more specifically, a chained/linked one (as in the "Founding of Durotar") whereas my hero can travel back and forth between maps, but without losing data such as: Quests and progress in the previous map. To be a little more precise, I need help with triggers for this functions:
-Starting the map; Same as in the Founding of Durotar, whenever you return from a different map you should come back from the area you used to get to it, not restart completely.
-Storing Quests&Triggers; Instead of every time I entered on this new map starting from scratch, I need a way to store functions such as cinematics(if the Hero saw it, or not), rewards and special monsters(Did he already slay the boss? If yes, then don't spawn him again).
I know this is a lot to ask, but if you could help me, it'd be a great favor. I already learned how to store heroes and their respective inventories, so all I need trigger solutions to those little-big problems I have.
In advance: thanks.

Juno**

Reaction score
I'm too lazy to explain it here but maybe this can help

Its a tutorial on how to use the campaign editor....

EDIT::eek: wow, the video actually appeared! I thought it was just going to be the URL of the vid...

Ghosttharian

Reaction score
@Juno Well mate, that's kinda the part I already knew, sadly. What I need to know are those triggers like in the Founding of Durotar (you know, when you re-enter a map zone without losing triggers or restarting the whole map?).

Juggernaut

I don't know what to change it to
Reaction score
You could use game cache, you can save real, units, integer, boolean, string.

So if unit sees cinematic set a Boolean to true, and then save it to cache.

Ghosttharian

Reaction score
That sounds great! Although I'm not sure how to script that (a.k.a. triggers), could you help with that? Plus, (if it does) how would that work for coming back to a map (So when the unit re-enters from the left entrance, it starts from the left side of the map)? Thanks, mate.

Ghosttharian

Reaction score
Sadly, I'd already seen that particular tutorial, and it didn't help, I need the trigger codes themselves (of course an explanation on how to get there would be awesome aswell!). It isn't laziness, its just my being terrible at Game Caches...Thanks anyway!

DaFatalGigabyte

Reaction score
To save a game cache, use "Game Cache - Create Game Cache" with some filename, store information in the game cache, and then save the game cache using triggers. You can set a variable to a game cache to use it outside of the trigger that created it.

To load a game cache, use "Game Cache - Create Game Cache" with a filename of a saved game cache. To load information, restore the units stored in the game cache, use the data on-the-fly without setting variables to them (Condition: Game Cache - Load Integer Value (Load Label of Category in (Last created game cache) = 2, for example), or set a variable to loaded data.

Creating a game cache creates a new game cache if one with the specified filename doesn't already exist, or uses an existing saved game cache with the filename specified if it does exist.

Trigger 1:
Time - Elapsed game time is .050 seconds

Game Cache - Create a game cache from <file name>.w3v
Game Cache - Store <unit> as <label> of <category> in (Last created game cache)
Game Cache - Save (Last Created game cache)

Trigger 2:
Time - Elapsed game time is 1.00 seconds.

Game Cache - Create a game cache from <file name>.w3v
Game Cache (Restore Unit Facing Angle) - Restore <label> of <category> from (Last created game cache> for Player 1 (Red) at (Center of (Playable map area)) facing 270.00

If a game cache called Widget.w3v is created and saved, all single player games that create a game cache from Widget.w3v will use the same game cache. I think you could base the game cache's name on the map's name plus the player's name so the player can replay the game by starting a new profile, or you could use save slots, where the player selects the slot to save to or load from, and the slot number picked is put into the created game cache's name.

Ghosttharian

Reaction score
As far as storing units, destructibles and resources it isn't a problem. My problem, howhever is when a unit has to re-enter a map.
Say you have two maps: One at the start of a bridge, and one near its end, both having creeps tutorials and cinematics. What I need is to be able to make so that whenever the hero returns from the end of the bridge to its beggining it does not have to go trhough all cinematics and tutorials that it already did, plus, I want the Hero to load back on the part of the map closest to its ending, not restart it all. Thanks for all the help.

DaFatalGigabyte

Reaction score
Store a boolean in the game cache indicating whether or not the player has gone through a tutorial, cinematic, or zone, or whatever. Use Game Cache - Load Boolean Value with the same Label, Category, and Game Cache (created with the same filename as the game cache was saved with) as for the stored boolean.

If you want a unit restored from the game cache to be located at a different location than it's stored location, store two reals in the game cache, one for the x-coordinate and one for the y-coordinate. After restoring the unit, change the unit's location to the point(stored x-coordinate, stored y-coordinate).

Ghosttharian

Reaction score
I know this is asking too much, but could you create an example map (or in this cas example maps) just so that I can both understand and have a reliable reference? Wheter you do it or not, you've been *Very* helpful (I can't stress that enough), thanks!

DaFatalGigabyte

Reaction score
Blizzard created a demo campaign, which you can open up using the Campaign Editor. You can open the maps in them that way and study them.

I can't for the life of me figure out how they nested the maps in the demo campaign.

I also can't seem to get my hero party to load properly. I could get it to load in the second map, entered after exiting the first, but I couldn't get it to load after exiting the second map, going back to the first. Another example campaign I tried making wouldn't have my party load in the second map at all.

Has anyone made a campaign with linked maps? Linked as in exiting a map probably off at one of its sides, and then transferring to the corresponding entrance of another map. I know it's not done much because you could just make a really big normal map.

Ghosttharian

Reaction score
Hm. I've been searching for other people doing linked campaigns but I just couldn't find anyone. As for the big map thing it would lose the whole feeling, you know? If you can help me find a linked-campaign it'd be great! Thanks.

Ghosttharian

Reaction score
I did try to use the 'Durotar maps, but their loading/saving are way too.. strange to say the least, some user-made triggers are both simple and clean, and that is the kind of map(s) I'm looking for. If you kow any of those, it'd be an even greater help, but thanks for all you've done so far!

Solu9

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I have been trying to find the tutorial I used learning about campaigns but have been unable to find it. I have it on my harddrive but the forum will not allow me to upload campaign files.
I took 3 screen shots of the main trigger. It might be of some help.

Attachments

• Save.png
    Save.png
    248.9 KB · Views: 391
  • Load Hero.png
    Load Hero.png
    256.4 KB · Views: 415
  • Load Cache.png
    Load Cache.png
    272 KB · Views: 392

Ghosttharian

Reaction score
Hey, sorry for the delay, but thanks a lot! I'll be testing your triggers and if (by any small chance) they don't work I'll leave you a message(As long as you are okay with that..). Thanks a ton, mate! A small question, as per setting the First Visit (true/false) how did you do it (Could you post a screenshot)?

Ghosttharian

Reaction score
Bumping! Also, the world editor refers to using "Game Cache- Load Boolean Value" or something along those lines, but I can't quite seem to find it. (even using the -search for text on the actions part), any ideas?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.