Ian Knot

Jedimindtrixxx

┻━┻ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
So there I was lurkin' Reddit threads, and i came across something that made me angry because nobody taught me this before. why do they knot teach you how to this when you first learn how to tie your laces?

anyway, let me introduce you to:
The Ian Knot
(aka tie your laces in 1 second knot)

[youtube]Ixf-vwtPsu4[/youtube]

How to do it [large]:
Tie_shoelace.png

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Let's say you started tying your shoes at age 5, typical for kindergartens. All variables have hours as their units.

X := The total number of seconds you took to tie your shoes.
2X := The number of shoes you need to tie.
Y := The total amount of time it takes for you to take off both shoes.

Y := The 1 second it takes to use the Ian Knot.
2Y := For the two shoes you have.
Y := Same amount of time it takes to take off both shoes.

Assume that X is always larger than Y, and never equal. Because you never learn how to tie your shoes under 1 second, so Ian Knot always takes the lead.

From age 5 to age 20, assuming you never change your shoes and your shoes are always clean, plus you have to wear them everyday (Nike sneakers tester, testing for 15 years on your contract, for each daily test):

Average Time:

Years := 15.
Days := Years * 365 = 5475
Put on Shoes := Days * 2X
Take off Shoes := Days * X
Total := Put on Shoes + Take off Shoes = 10,950X + 5,475Y = 10,950X + 5,475 hours wasted on tying your shoes.

So, let's say you took 4 seconds to tie 1 shoe, 8 seconds for both, which is pretty fast when comparing to other types of knot binding. Y for taking off your shoes at 1 second, 2 seconds for both shoes. So, X = 0.001 hour, Y = 0.0002 hours, thus the time it takes for you to tie both shoes is 684 * 0.001 + 5,475 * 0.0002 = 0.684 + 1.1 hours = 41 minutes of your life wasted.

Ian Knot Time:

Years := 15.
Days := Years * 365 = 5475
Put on Shoes := Days * 2Y
Take off Shoes := Days * X
Total := Put on Shoes + Take off Shoes = 10,950Y + 5,475Y = 16,425Y ~= 684Y hours wasted on tying your shoes.

This time, you took 1 second to tie 1 shoe, 2 seconds to tie the other. Y = 0.01 / 60 = 0.0001666~ ~= around 0.0002 hours. 684 * 0.0002 = 0.1368 = 8.2 minutes wasted.

Compare:

41 - 8.2 = 32.8 minutes wasted for the past 15 years of your life.

For half an hour, what would you like to do? It's neglectible, you know?

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
And how much of your time do you waste on reddit or here?

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
ive been doing it like that for a long time now.. (well that + an extra knot on top so that it doesn't get undone)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.