Spellpack Icy Spell Pack

the Immortal

I know, I know...
Reaction score
Icy Spell Pack

So this is my second submission for the spell index.
I just saw there's another Icy-based spell pack (Frozen Pulse, Ice Ring, Rising Ice by hell_knight9) and I'm sorry if there are already such spells.

Anyway, the pack contains three ice-theme spells:

1. Frost Arrow - Fires an arrow of frost to target enemy unit, dealing 100/175/250 damage to the target and creates icy explosions on its path. Each explosion deals 75/150/225 damage.

Configrable stuffs:
- Delay between the explosions
- The damage dealt to the target (constant and lvl factor)
- The damage dealt by the novas (from the Frost Nova spell)

(uses the Frost Nova spell and a dummy unit; fully MUI)

2. Freezing Field /DotA spell/ - Creates random Icy explosions around the caster. Each explosion deals 75/150/225 damage.

Configurable stuffs:
- Delay between the explosions
- The Minimal and the maximal distance from the explosions to the caster
- The explosions' damage (from the Frost Nova spell)

(uses the Frost Nova spell and a dummy unit; fully MUI)

3. Ice Nova - Creates expanding waves of novas that damage nearby enemy units. Each wave deals 100/175/225 damage.

Configurable stuffs:
- The time delay between each wave
- The number of the waves
- The width of each wave
- The SFX (it is the Frost Nova's SFX, but you may change it to ... Firey SFX, dunno x) )
- The damage from each wave (constant and lvl factor)
(uses direct damage and Frost Nova SFX; fully MUI; with a Math function to calculate the number of novas in each wave)

That's all, I hope there aren't any leaks / bugs / typos, but of course if you find you should tell me and I will try to fix them as fast as I can.

EDIT: Added some info for the Ice Nova

EDIT2: Fixed leaks

Attachments

• Ice Spells.w3x
    65.4 KB · Views: 1,640

emjlr3

Change can be a good thing
Reaction score
nice nova looks familiar

i will check them out when i have the resources to do so and the time

y is number 3 not MUI

looking forward to seeeing your JASS script

Exide

I am amazingly focused right now!
Reaction score
Nice and Cool! :shades: :p
+rep, good work! :)

Andrewgosu

The Silent Pandaren Helper
Reaction score
What can I say, marvelous.

You should use the natives instead, for the handle variables...

hell_knight

Playing WoW
Reaction score
Cough, also you know icy arrow, I made a spell a long time ago which had a skull which created a bunch of explosions on its path along the way too on wc3sear then idiot makers of Age of Myths ripped my code turned it into JASS and stole it for their map without credit!!!

Anyhow nice spells.

ayumilove

Youtube account suspended! youtube.com/ayumilove8
Reaction score
hell knight, how did you know they steal o_O

you unprotect their map to find out ?

Tom Jones

N/A
Reaction score
FlushHandleLocals() should be done before destroying a handle, and before nulling the the assigned variable.

Tinki3

Special Member
Reaction score
Good spells, but the spellpack would've been much better if it had had another custom spell :); not Freezing Field (it was nicely made, and looked good however).

Here's a short overview:

*Frost Arrow

I liked this one, but two things bothered me. The frost explosions had a bit too much delay as soon as the arrow moved towards the target, which I thought made it look a bit weird. Also, the fact that it could only target units got annoying in my opinion; a point target like shockwave would've probably made things easier (only targeting units meant less spam :p)?

*Freezing Field

Like I said, the spellpack would've been better with another custom spell :rolleyes:. There's hundreds of different Ice spell ideas you could've thought of (what happened? couldn't you be bothered or something lol?). How about Multi-Target Freezing Ice Cubes? Well, there's not much more to say about this one, only that its a very good replicate of DotA's, and that its easy (and fun) to modify.

*Ice Nova

My favourite, and also fun/easy to modify. It got a bit laggy when I made it create 50 waves that were 0.12 secs apart though :rolleyes:. I've seen many novas, but this one's one of the best :D. gw, no more to say.

overall, +rep from me for the spellpack.

the Immortal

I know, I know...
Reaction score
@ emjlr3 - Everything's MUI, just forgot to mention it.

@ exide - ty

@ Andrewgosu - in my last spell for the index (the Energy Shield) SFilip said it's better to use the whole Handle Vars systems (for better readability). And I did so.

@ hell_knight9 - I'm sorry but I don't even play WarCraft III maps. I didn't know it was someone's (yours?) and I haven't played Age of Myths.

@ Tom Jones - Maybe a stupid little mistake. I will look at it asap.

@ Tinki3 - The Frost Arrow point-cast is a good idea. I may update the map later if I do it. For the Ice Nova - I wanted to make it so two units cannot be hit by 2 novas until they move. imo it became a bit complicated but it can be easily reconfigured. This "lag" should be fixed by Preloading the Frost Nova model.

And a last question to a moderator (SFilip?): Can I really add another spell now? I just thought of a new one :D

emjlr3

Reaction score
sure y not

spells looks good, i think i saw a spell mistake or two, not a big deal

did not find any bugs while playing

script:

Ice Nova -
local unit u = GetTriggerUnit() is uneeded, u dont use it for anything, just use GetTriggerUnit hwen u set ur "caster"
call SetHandleInt(tim, "WavesDone", 0) is not needed, its set to 0 as default
using GetExpiredTimer() over and over is a lot slower hen using a local that gets it once
if i == null then
set i = 0
endif like i said its set to 0 as default, w/o setting it to anything
u don't null your groups or location, tw y r u using two groups anywho?
call SetHandleInt(GetExpiredTimer(), "WavesDone", i) set that after u do ur check, no point in doing it before if your just going to stop the spell

Freezing Field -
using "IsCasting" as ur string ID is not a good idea(not MUI or really as good), a better way would be to use ur local trigger to stop the timer, and not need the boolean or polled wait at all
u never destroy your trigger

Frost Arrow - not all your constants are labeled, a noob may get confused
check if the units state is >.405, it is more accurate
again no nulling of locs

you should also preload all dummy abils, i noticed some first cast lag and saw that you did not

all in all not bad

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
> Can I really add another spell now?
Sure, why not?

As for the spells themselves...well first of all it might not be wise to null local timers if you have something attached to them. According to Vexorian it might happen that the handle index bugs up which would presumably result in not being to "attach" anything.
But since everything seems to work fine...approved.

emjlr3

Reaction score
according to the rules SFilip

-No memory leaks
Do not submit spells that contain a memory leak. We have plenty of tutorials about them so I don't think this would be a problem.

unless he updated it, which i didnt think he did, each spell as a few

the Immortal

I know, I know...
Reaction score
Fixed all leaks that emjlr3 and Tom Jones said. I don't want "Frost Arrow" to be point-or-unit cast so I left it as it was.

The spell I almost made was:
"Icy Armor - Creates a shield of ice energy around a target friendly unit for 20 seconds. Whenever the target takes damage the damaging unit may be frozen for up to 5 seconds (10/20/30% chance). Any damage caused will unfreeze the unit. "

I triggered everything and I was almost done but then I remembered the Dread Lord's Sleep spell. It is so easier to "sleep" the attacking unit instead of local timers, triggers and so on. and I gave up. Anyway the spell is inside the map and it is almost working. If some1 wants I may finish it or make a "sleepy" version (much easier imo >.< )

Hero

─║╣ero─
Reaction score
Fixed all leaks that emjlr3 and Tom Jones said. I don't want "Frost Arrow" to be point-or-unit cast so I left it as it was.

The spell I almost made was:
"Icy Armor - Creates a shield of ice energy around a target friendly unit for 20 seconds. Whenever the target takes damage the damaging unit may be frozen for up to 5 seconds (10/20/30% chance). Any damage caused will unfreeze the unit. "

I triggered everything and I was almost done but then I remembered the Dread Lord's Sleep spell. It is so easier to "sleep" the attacking unit instead of local timers, triggers and so on. and I gave up. Anyway the spell is inside the map and it is almost working. If some1 wants I may finish it or make a "sleepy" version (much easier imo >.< )

Sleep would be easier to us..but doesn't it always make that annoying sound?
Idk if you can change it..I never used sleep inside any of my spells that I make..I always just script it myself...gives more satisfying results..:D

anyways nice spells +Rep
I'll check for bugs later

Z

Zell

Great spells man, I especially like that Freezing Arrow skill.

One question though... well actually two: Is the Frost Nova supposed to damage yourself too (if you cast it and move into the nova, you start getting hit)? If not, how can this be changed so it doesn't?

crystalguard

Reaction score
Hey i loved the spells but there is one issue, the Freezing Field is just a copy of one of Blizzards Spells on their Halloween Map you get with the frozen throne, but the rest were Awsome and i have never seen them any where before :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.