If you don't like the color of this game!

Darkchaoself

What is this i dont even
Reaction score
Diablo II had a day night cycle, for sure. I have played it more than any other game, except maybe Warcraft3. I can't tell if Act4 had it, but the other Acts have day-night cycle. Act2 too, of course.

About D3's art style, I'll just say that the influence of WoW is pretty visible in my opinion. And that's not very good for the game, since Warcraft's style is not very realistic.

Erm, not realistic?

Its meant to be a fantasy game, not...realistic.

Ioannes

Oh man, I shot Marvin in the face.
Reaction score
And Diablo games, Darkchaoself, are meant to be a dark, gothic/satanic fantasy adventure games.

Diablo 1 and 2 are about fighting against demons who are terrorizing Sanctuary, the game world. The cool atmosphere, in my opinion, was due to the hero fighting alone against evil in a time of prevailing doom and despair, when the world has been ravaged and is dark and cold and corrupted, and when demons are on the move for an even bigger hit.

This atmosphere was created by the autumn rainy atmosphere and the satanically corrupted holy places of Act 1.

By the desolate desert filled with marauding demons and the awakened mummies in the ancient tombs in Act 2.

By the vast, hostile forest and the vast corrupted city of Kurast, which once housed the "Temple of the Light" (according to Tyrael) in Act 3.

By the (oh, yeah) totally-out-of-this-world steppes and city that were once as shiny as the Pandemonium Fortress (one of the best levels in a game EVER) but are now dusty and scarred with suffering and magic demons. And, of course, Hell and Diablo's gothic sanctuary with lots of ash, pentagrams, black skulls, demons, elite hellish skeletons, and a sea of lava around it. Act 4.

By the amazing Barbarian thundra-like lands that have become a battlefield and are deprived of pretty much all vegetation in Act 5.

The entire game is a representation of a medieval world (European a1, Southwest-Asian a2, Aztec/Amazonian act3, a perception of Paradise and Hell from Christian ideology act4, and Scandinavia/Thundra/Kimeria in act5) which has been bruised and scarred by satanic evil and a few good men with shiny armor and heavy swords stepping forward to kick some ass.

There are some screenshots from the game that suit that, however, there still is a great contrast between some:
http://www.blizzard.com/diablo3/media/screenshots.xml
#4 is totally not Diablo, :thdown: , for example, whereas
#8 is actually an excellent addition (wohoo, misty evil graveyard!) to the game :)

I don't want to be populist, but, hell, for teh lulz:
http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/7/71/D3qq9.jpg
http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/2/2a/Diablocolor.jpg
:D

Also, re5pect for Sozou:
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/54697 :thup:

P.s. Also, you just read the reason why I won't ever play with the Witch Doctor. :D
P.s.s. Hey, at least it doesn't look so inflated as it does in StarCraft2 with rubber Hatcheries and Lego Barracks. :)

EDIT: This is what D3 ought to reminisce of in my opinion:
http://www.elfwood.com/art/d/a/darkshade/stained_glass.jpg
http://www.victorianweb.org/painting/bj/glass/44e.jpg
http://wiki.gamer.free.fr/illustrations/heroes-3.gif

I'm not religious at all, it's just that D2's atmosphere was cool in a large part thanks to the clash between good and evil that is portrayed in THIS way.

Pax vobis :)

Genkora

Frog blast the vent core!
Reaction score
personally, I did think some parts of D2 and D1 were too dark. Not as in the feel of the enviroment, more like, the actual lighting. Sometimes it was difficult just to see. Also, as for a rainbow, why not? It's something that happens in real life, what, are the forces of hell going to somehow make rainbows not possible? I'm sure zombies and skeletons under a raindow will be just fine. In fact, I look forward to it. And I'm sure a lot of the time will be spent dungeon crawling, where it's dark.

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
Rainbows are actully created by a prismatic effect occuring when light passes thru water such as a raindrop. If people complain about them and then complain about realism they are just stupid, in my oppinion.

I think that it is good if there are lighter and darker places in the game.
If it is light in the open fields or dark in caves and forests, that is just great to me:) Else the game would be to unrealistic:p

Ioannes

Reaction score
Then again, the question comes, how realistic it actually is for magical demons and undead to roam free and the gates of Hell to open or something :)

Actually, Blizz may deliberately NOT include a rainbow, because "the demonic presence has corrupted the land and nice stuff like rainbows no longer form" :D

Genkora

Reaction score
Then again, the question comes, how realistic it actually is for magical demons and undead to roam free and the gates of Hell to open or something :)

Actually, Blizz may deliberately NOT include a rainbow, because "the demonic presence has corrupted the land and nice stuff like rainbows no longer form" :D

well, there is a line somewhere that marks where things are fantasy or realistic. Generally speaking, natural occurrences like rain or rainbows are unaffected by the fantasy world.

And as for blizz deliberately not including a rainbow, they already put it in :p

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score

When I speak of realism in such games I think about physics and as Genkora said, natural occuring things, such as rainbows, how the fire looks, how real the monsters look both appearance and movement, light, the way a brick falls down, the way that the arrows fly, and so on...

Zombies and demons are not real, thus not realism. But with those included into a game does not mean that the game itself has to be unrealistic in other aspects aswell:p

Edit: If blizzard has made a way to make rainbows appear in a realistic fashion in D3, then I gotta say that it will be one of the most realistic games I have seen yet:)

Ioannes

Reaction score
Well, I still think that THIS kind of realism is inappropriate for a game with the atmosphere of Diablo2. Because it will harm such an atmosphere as I described above.

Monsterous

In the Shadows, Lurking.
Reaction score
You fools! The rainbow was ment to be for some grand easter egg scheme, there would be a super secret hidden area where the end of the rainbow was, thus granting you gold and the secret unique item [Leprechaun's Guarding Stick].

And now you've all ruined it. Tsk. Tsk.

...in more perhaps relateable words, the atmosphere is fine. You don't JUST kill bad guys at night, you can do it with the sun out, under the rainbow, or when its foggy - its still killing bad guys, but in a more realistic environment.

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
Well, I still think that THIS kind of realism is inappropriate for a game with the atmosphere of Diablo2. Because it will harm such an atmosphere as I described above.

That's like saying: Hey, we can't kill people in battle today, there is a rainbow.
Or: Can't fight today, beacuse it is sunny:nuts:

I posted this thread in hope to silence the people who was complaining about the lighting of the game, never realized that it would bring this much emotions from people:rolleyes:

Ioannes

Reaction score
That's like saying: Hey, we can't kill people in battle today, there is a rainbow.
Or: Can't fight today, beacuse it is sunny:nuts:

I posted this thread in hope to silence the people who was complaining about the lighting of the game, never realized that it would bring this much emotions from people:rolleyes:

Think of it as efforts to predict where criticism about feeling of the game different from that of D2 and LoD will come from ;)

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
Think of it as efforts to predict where criticism about feeling of the game different from that of D2 and LoD will come from ;)

Either that or just draw to the conclusion that all people who think that D3 will suck are out of their minds:p

No matter how the colors will be, and no matter how many rainbows they put in, it will be an amazing game;)

AgentPaper

From the depths, I come.
Reaction score
You can't have dark places in the world without contrast. If the whole world was dark, then the darkness would mean nothing. If some places are lighter, and more "happy" looking, it only makes it that much more powerful when demons start killing people, the sky turns red, and hellfire rains down on the world. If the entire game was dark, it would make the game boring, repetitive, and bland.

Reaction score
Diablo II had some contrast, but not really in the right way. The spell effects and such brought some life, but I don't think all those poisoned-green, cold-blue etc enemies were a good way to create dark and doomed feeling to the game. Sure, they helped gameplay, but at the cost of atmosphere.

Diablo I had some nice contrast in it, I just loved how the innocent, small village and happy people turned into a manifestation of hell, the center of it all being, of course, a cathedral.

I like it if they have some "happy" looking places in Diablo III, as long as they don't overdo it. Gives the feeling that something is really being destroyed and defiled, not just some already-dark-in-here-place.

Genkora

Reaction score
Happy places should exist. Think about it, the forces of evil don't have a total grip on sanctuary, it's a battle between righteousness and evil; as such there ought to be some contrast geographically.

Ioannes

Reaction score
Happy places should exist. Think about it, the forces of evil don't have a total grip on sanctuary, it's a battle between righteousness and evil; as such there ought to be some contrast geographically.

True!

You make me correct my previous point, there HAVE to be 'happy places."

Yet, still, as long as they are charged with this kind of "heavenly," "good," "divine," "honor" feel, e.g. The Pandemonium Fortress (the happiest place in the whole of Diablo LoD imo :D wohoo, angel! )

FhelZone

Have a drink of a nice cold mellowberry juice!
Reaction score
Diablo >>> Dark and Scary

Starcraft >>> Odd and Futuristic

Warcrarft >>> Fantasy and Wonderous

That's how I think it should go :D

Tyrulan

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Tyrael was the best. :)

I like the colour! It's more lustrous and I like being able to see the sweet new graphics rather than hiding them with shadow. >.>

General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.