I'm Anti-DotA

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
Ok, I've never even PLAYED this map, but lately, EVERYONE is trying to recreate the abilities found on the famous and infamous DotA. I mean, COME ON, PEOPLE! Be original! Think about it, even if you DO recreate Omnislash, or this skill, or that hero, people are just going to bust on you for copying. So don't copy, sit your little behinds down and THINK OF SOMETHING NEW! :mad:

Anyone else have an opinion about this?

Alexander

L

lordloki

Nothing but agreement... Personally I get sick of clicking on custom games and seeing 30-40 DoTA and the same with Footmen Frenzy... I mean really.. Can I get a Hoo Ha TD!... LOL

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
I'm the same way. I like playing DotA, but I prefer ToB MUCH more.

For some of my skills, I'll sit down and think about them, then get the uber idea and go "WOW! THAT SOUNDS FUN!", and then I go on ToB and notice they have skill similar to it. -.-

Anyways, I don't think it's bad to get IDEAS from another map, just as long as your changing SOMETHING. I've got a few abilities that came from ToB, but it's becuase I LOVE using those abilities in ToB.

DM Cross

Reaction score
Oh, I'm not saying anything AGAINST DotA, ToB, or even Footman Frenzy maps. I've heard about them all, and played a few of them myself. They're all very fun, and great to pass the time, and I agree with what you said, Conan, it's alright to get ideas from a map. But, like you said, you have to put SOMETHING original in there! I mean, some people just want to re-create DotA, and people like this are just not worth the time to help, in my personal opinion. I bet you money that these people don't want to re-create DotA to make it better, they just want to rig a hero or two so that they can always win. And let's face it, that's a step (barely) above simply unprotecting the map and changing numbers.

Alexander

Bartuc08

Mostly known as Zomby Jezuz
Reaction score
the skills are overused as ive noticed in the time ove been on thehelper forums, and es people sohuld make there own damned abilities, i can understand if ur making a spell like fireballe or lighting (somthing everyone uses) but dont make the same damn thing (like omnislash) make up new skills hell the spell doesnt even have to make sense, u can have one called "rain of mutton" wear sheep come from the sky and splat on poeple, actually... hmm i might make that abilitiy....

DM Cross

Reaction score
What I'd really love to see is a lot more eye-candy spells. They don't have to be killer or amazing in power, but I LOVE seeing a cool new ability. For example, a map Conan sent me some time ago had 4 "dimensional" skills, one of which allowed the caster to walk through an alternate dimension. The spell itself was really useful, as it allowed you to walk right past other units, enemy or otherwise. But what I loved was it had a green fade filter, and it looked simply awesome! :D

Alexander

Bartuc08

Reaction score
in the end non-map editors love eye candy to, i love thinking of eye candy spells.

M

Marksman

Alexander said:
Ok, I've never even PLAYED this map
Then why are you talking? Play it b4 you judge it. People mimick it because it is GOOD.

Alexander said:
I bet you money that these people don't want to re-create DotA to make it better, they just want to rig a hero or two so that they can always win
That has nothing at all in any way whatsoever to do with stealing from dota. You can rig a chain lightning to deal 10,000 damage, spells from dota are not automatically rigged.

TOB is number 2 AOS on my list, certainly it is more visually pleasing, and creative. But their item system SUCKS. There is like 10 items, and they all are utterly terrible. And killing heros doesn't matter like it does in DotA. DotA is good because every hero in it is fun to use, and killing heros actually helps your team win, you gain momentum and work as a team to destroy the enemy.

DM Cross

Reaction score
First off Marks, calm the hell down! Don't jump down my throat for my opinion.

Second off, I also stated that I'm sure DotA is a GREAT GAME! I wasn't trying to INSULT DOTA! I wasn't insulting ANYONE or THING! I just think people should aspire to create more original ideas to RIVAL DotA, not simply take a DotA spell and change it a little. I mean, if you're hard pressed for ideas, sure, go ahead, one or two little unique versions of a DotA spell won't kill you. But I see people asking for DotA spells ALL THE BLOODY TIME! It's annoying! And most of these people won't even finish their maps because they'll decide the code is too hard, or they just run out of ideas, or no one else will tell them how to make the next DotA ability.

Anyway, you should read before you post. I wasn't taking anything away from DotA's quality for the sole purpose of I haven't played it. ToB I've played, and I like it, it's alright. I'm not good at it, but it's alright. Foot Frenzies I've played and like. But I wasn't attacking these maps. Moreso the people who try to recreate them without any originality at all.

Alexander
Only a little bit of a whole lot of offended...

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
I do agree with Marksman, partially. ToB, you have to work mroe as a team to pool gold and build towers and such. Killing heroes is the very aspect of ToB, since you need blood to build towers and you can only get tha tby killing heroes. Towers help for spawns, and can turn the tides of the game. Their item system does suck, agreed.

Bartuc08

Reaction score
lol alexander iu had me cracking up when u said anyone or thing , lmao!

anyway,ive never played dota but fromt he spells ive heard it sounds pretty good, but some of the things people constantly ask for on here are getting annoying, so far ive seen sever omnislash and backstab request

p.s. i didnt know backstab was in DOTA when i asked for help :D

DM Cross

Reaction score
Yes, I agree with that part, ToB is a great game, as is DotA, I'm sure. But that's not the point to this thread.

Alexander

S

Senkin

Well I think the point to this thread is across, lets leave it alone now.

M

Marksman

Sorry Senkin, i ain't done yet. First off, you say you are not insulting DotA, yet the name of the thread is Im anti DotA. Don't get my wrong, I agree that too many people want to copy their spells. But don't blame DotA, blame the people who want the spells.

I always read b4 i post, and i didn't like your tone buddy. But know that I was in no way insulting you or your opinions, just stating that you should think what you are going to say more clearly. And for the record, I never get angry (think cold and calculated ;) ).

DM Cross

Reaction score
Ok, Marks I get what you mean about the title. I didn't mean I'm against the map, but I see how someone would mistake that, and that's my bad :p Sorry people! :D Anyway, basically all I wanted to say is that I would rather see more original spells then just "Hey, can I make this spell from DotA?"

Alexander
Sorry again

SilverHawk

General Iroh - Dragon of the West
Reaction score
Alexander said:
Anyway, basically all I wanted to say is that I would rather see more original spells then just "Hey, can I make this spell from DotA?"

Couldn't agree more. :p

Bartuc08

Reaction score
Marksman said:
Sorry Senkin, i ain't done yet. First off, you say you are not insulting DotA, yet the name of the thread is Im anti DotA. Don't get my wrong, I agree that too many people want to copy their spells. But don't blame DotA, blame the people who want the spells.

I always read b4 i post, and i didn't like your tone buddy. But know that I was in no way insulting you or your opinions, just stating that you should think what you are going to say more clearly. And for the record, I never get angry (think cold and calculated ;) ).

I DONT LIKE THE TONE OF VOICE YOUR TYPING IN!!!!!

lmao sorry i had to say it :D

DM Cross

Reaction score
ROFL, Ryoko, I hope you know that, despite the thread title, this isn't about bashing DotA ;) It's about bashing the DotA copiers. And as I've never played the game, I have no idea what you're talking about :D

Alexander

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.