i'm looking for a wireless internet booster..

jig7c

Stop reading me...-statement
Reaction score
as the title states, i'm looking for a wireless internet booster...

i get the signal where i want, but it keeps saying limited or no connectivity... and when i move my laptop as close as possible to where the router is, i get the signal, but when i move the laptop back to where i want it, it says limited or no connectivity again...

i'm pretty sure if i add hook up a booster with a CAT-5 cable to the router, it'll bring the signal to me.. i really don't want to, and I can't run a new router to where my laptop is at, so if i hook up a booster and bring it as close as possible to my room, i think i should get the signal...

any recommendations!

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
1. upgrading to wireless N for both the laptop and the router (if the laptop is a newer model, it probably already has N)

2. you COULD add a second router, but adding it wirelessly would require either an expensive router or custom firmware (tomato/etc.) on it, and a bit of network configuration

3. a cheap USB adapter might perform better then whatever the laptop has just because it's external and probably has a much bigger antenna then the laptop does

jig7c

Reaction score
the laptop is almost brand new... i got it in feb 2010, its an HP, not that it matters... and it uses built-in wireless N... this setup is at my work place... and i have a dsl line connected to a modem, and then it's connected to a ZyXel router, (i don't know the correct model number of the router, but it looks exactly like the one in the link) and then it's connected to a Ethernet Switch, which from then it ports out to 16 different PoE access points located through out various parts of the building... after doing all this.. the entire building gets the signal, except my office...

so i was thinking of running a CAT-5 from the switch to as close to my office as possible, and putting an antenna there...

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
Data Link Protocol: Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, IEEE 802.11b

from what you linked, that would be a B router - try switching it with an N router, and you would get a much better coverage

jig7c

Reaction score
i don't know the exact router model... its up in the attic, and i hate going there... i will go up there eventually to find out, just so that i can have the model/serial #s written down somewhere safe...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    He walked away from the first batch, learned nothing and walked away from the second batch, and then tried to toast it in a saute pan made out of aluminum so it scorched immediately and then I took away and he was sad all day
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    I know our range sucks but it's still a fucking fire down there, I've never measured it but I'm sure it's like a couple thousand degrees.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I wish I had a flat top grill in my kitchen!
  • jonas jonas:
    I wish I could cook asian dishes :D
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You just need a pressure cooker like an instapot for the asian dishes
  • The Helper The Helper:
    they make that stuff easy
  • The Helper The Helper:
    and there is a flat top grill I can buy that will work on my stovetop but it is pricey
  • The Helper The Helper:
    and I have no room for that anyway
  • Varine Varine:
    I have a thing that goes over two burners for my house, but it doesn't work great. I think they make ones that plug in where the coils go but it's not cheap.
  • Varine Varine:
    And yeah if you have a pressure cooker you can do lots of stuff really fast. Depending on what you're trying to do it ranges from really easy to really hard
  • Varine Varine:
    If you want to make tonkotsu broth, you're gonna have a rough time, but if you want to do like stir fries or something that tends to be pretty easy
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Ingredients are sometimes hard to find though, which is why we're doing 'fusion'. We don't have wok burners either, so it'll be kind of a weird transition
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Added another slow cooker recipe - this time a dessert - Slow Cooker Fried Apples https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-slow-cooker-cracker-barrel-fried-apples.192860/
  • Varine Varine:
    I have three teenagers apply for college that all asked for letters of recommendation with like two days notice lol. Like I get it guys, and I'm happy to help, but maybe tell me you need it before you need to turn these applications in?
  • Varine Varine:
    I guess they are literal children, so not exactly the best at thinking ahead. Fucking kids
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Yeah they are just inexperienced and young
  • jonas jonas:
    I'm still horrible at that :eek: often forget things or do things on the last minute
  • The Helper The Helper:
    My daughter is same way
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Saturday people!!!
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am sure nobody cares but I am seriously considering taking the Gaming News forum and just changing it to General Gaming Discussion since I post so much about gaming in the General Discussion Forum
  • The Helper The Helper:
    guests online 487 at 12:30 and none of them show up on the stats - all bots man
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Latest recipe is a great one - I love Philly Cheese and this is Philly Cheese Meatloaf https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-philly-cheese-meatloaf.192935/
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Beep boop
    +3
  • Varine Varine:
    I for one welcome our bot overlords

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.