Sci/Tech Imaging gear would give soldiers 'Terminator'-like vision

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
(Wired) -- No more will soldiers' vision be limited to the socket-embedded spheres that God intended. The Pentagon now wants troops to see dangers lurking behind them in real time, and be able to tell if an object a kilometer away is a walking stick or an AK-47.

In a solicitation released today, Darpa, the Pentagon's far-out research branch, unveiled the Soldier Centric Imaging via Computational Cameras effort, or SCENICC. Imagine a suite of cameras that digitally capture a kilometer-wide, 360-degree sphere, representing the image in 3-D onto a wearable eyepiece.

You'd be able to literally see all around you, including behind yourself, and zooming in at will, creating a "stereoscopic/binocular system, simultaneously providing 10x zoom to both eyes." And you would do this all hands-free, apparently by barking out or pre-programming a command (the solicitation leaves it up to a designer's imagination) to adjust focus.

Then comes the Terminator-vision. Darpa wants the eyepiece to include "high-resolution computer-enhanced imagery as well as task-specific non-image data products such as mission data overlays, threat warnings/alerts, targeting assistance, etc." Target identified: Sarah Connor... The "Full Sphere Awareness" tool will provide soldiers with "muzzle flash detection," "projectile tracking" and "object recognition/labeling," basically pointing key information out to them.

And an "integrated weapon sighting" function locks your gun on your target when acquired. That's far beyond an app mounted on your rifle that keeps track of where your friendlies and enemies are.

Last edited by a moderator:

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
This expense "toy" vision, doesn't it sound too good to be true ?

Jedimindtrixxx

┻━┻ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
I could see this being a problem when you have 50 different thing popping up in your vision trying to tell you that the guy has an ak, the bullets arecoming from NE, your target is this, there is danger here, there is a muzzle flash going off here, and data overlays all at once.

Dan

The New Helper.Net gives me great Anxiety... o.O;;
Reaction score
I could see this being a problem when you have 50 different thing popping up in your vision trying to tell you that the guy has an ak, the bullets arecoming from NE, your target is this, there is danger here, there is a muzzle flash going off here, and data overlays all at once.

Don't make fun of my World of Warcraft raiding UI.... It works for me.

XD

SineCosine

I'm still looking for my Tangent
Reaction score
Don't make fun of my World of Warcraft raiding UI.... It works for me.

XD

Proof that it won't matter if we have 50alerts coming it.
Just as long as we do not have to click 'OK' every time we get a message from the system.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
By then, it would just be a ultra-fast updated HUD with all sorts of gadgets and gizmos seen in Iron Man, under the helmet.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.