Immolation?

wingdnosring

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've got a newbie question here. What is the Starcraft II equivalent to Immolation from WC3?

For those who don't know the reference, I'm looking for a behavior that deals damage to all units within a certain range of the unit with the behavior.

Thanks.

Galdiuz

Creator of Photon Command
Reaction score
You'd have to create a behavior with a periodic search area effect. So, basically you need this:

1 Behavior
1 Search Area Effect
1 Damage Effect

Then just link it together.

wingdnosring

Reaction score
Darn, I was hopign there would be a comparable ability I could just edit the damage values for. I am almost completely inept with the data editor (I've learned ot do some basic stuff, since I create things to interact with triggers), but most of it is a mystery to me. Sorry if this sounds stupid, but can you explain a little better what I'd have to alter?

If it makes it easier, this 'immolation' behavior is going to be given to vehicles. Basically, I want a vehicle to be able to run people over, so it would actually kill instead of damage.

Jedimindtrixxx

┻━┻ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
you could try using irradiate, although that lasts for a while rather than being turn on and leave. i havnt used the editor yet but im sure you could use irradiate somehow instead. (Used by the science vessels)

Frozenwind

System maker
Reaction score
Why don't you trigger it if you dislike the data editor?

It's rather easy, as it sounds like you only have 1 unit (vehicle)?

Code:
Pick every unit of that type
    ///eventually behavior check, but I guess that's not needed as he can just run over people all the time
    set temp_unit = picked unit
        pick every unit within 0.8 of temp_unit
            kill Picked Unit
            ///or eventually a condition to check something first

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
can you explain a little better what I'd have to alter?
First, you must create an Effect of type Damage - not much to do with this one other than set your damage values and damage type (if necessary)

Then, you need to make an Effect (Search Area type) which will search a given radius, with your specified filters (there's alliance filters, and unit type filters e.g. biological, massive, etc.) and an effect of choice to execute on any units that are found and meet your conditions - all of these values must be defined in the Areas+ field, and you can create multiple searches for a single Search Area effect. The effect to be executed is the damage effect above

Next, create a behavior (Buff type) - this will allow allow you to periodically execute an Effect of your choice, at designated internals (a single value in the Effects - Periods field will result in all intervals being the same amount of time, different values will result in execution of the Effect X seconds after the previous execution). You need to put the above Search Area effect into the Periodic Effect field.

Finally, go to the unit(s) you want to add this Immolation 'ability' to and find the Behaviours - Behaviours+ field. Simply add the behaviour created above, and it should be active once they enter the map.

Assuming I haven't left anything out, the unit should now damage units nearby (according to your conditions). I'll try and get a test map up in a few minutes

wingdnosring

Reaction score
Grr, sounds long doing it the Data editor way. Yeah I could trigger it in about 20 seconds for an infinite number of vehicles, but I have to start somewhere with the data editor...

Well, off I go to give it a try...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.