IMPORTANT! Starcraft 2 causing videos cards to fry

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Anyone else have StarCraft II try to melt their hardware? Blizzard admits that it's a known issue and has a fix for you.

Apparently, the game's menu screens aren't framerate-limited. This means that when there's nothing else going on, your graphics hardware renders the bejeezus out of those screens, causing nasty overheating problems. The fix is easy, requiring players to add the following lines to your "Documents\StarCraft II Beta\variables.txt" "Documents\StarCraft II\variables.txt" file (nice catch, commenter LegolElf):

frameratecapglue=30
frameratecap=60

Good to know. Personally I would have appreciated a heads-up before my video card fried, but maybe this can save someone else from the hassle I've been dealing with since yesterday afternoon.

http://gameinformer.com/b/news/arch...rd-confirms-starcraft-ii-overheating-bug.aspx

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
Good to know. Will do it first thing when I get back home. Now it is time for blizzard to work on the grafical bug. I lost a ladder game because of it :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: There goes my perfect score, first loose : (((

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
if im lucky. itll fry my friend's graphics cards and they can play lol with me.

SerraAvenger

Cuz I can
Reaction score
I'm still waiting for that .txt to magically appear in my folder. I'm also waiting for a language patch. At least the hotkeys are at the right position : )

Kelv

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Read about this earlier, however most cards should have software with default maximum temperature setting which will decrease their performance when the upper limit is near.

UnknowVector

I come from the net ... My format, Vector.
Reaction score
I echo Kelv, shouldn't the graphics card clock itself down when it starts to overheat? while(1); doesn't melt the cpu after all ... Also, wouldn't you typically notice graphic errors before the card did irreparable damage to itself?

SerraAvenger

Cuz I can
Reaction score
I echo Kelv, shouldn't the graphics card clock itself down when it starts to overheat? while(1); doesn't melt the cpu after all ... Also, wouldn't you typically notice graphic errors before the card did irreparable damage to itself?

while(1) does melt the cpu unless you cool it very well or cancel the process early enough. IIRC, modern GPUs tend to get much hotter anyway.

mapguy

Reaction score
I never saw a game fail so much as starcraft 2 is failing.

really guys, is this the game we were all waiting for?

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
Software very rarely can damage Hardware. Starcraft II does not have the programming to do so.

XxMayhemxX

Reaction score
I never saw a game fail so much as starcraft 2 is failing.

really guys, is this the game we were all waiting for?

LOL almost every game made after 2007 i play makes my chip want to burn up. The computer stutters and lag when i play. Happens every 10 minutes or so... the chip clocks itself down automatically to save itself from burning, then after about 2 and a half minutes, it's cooled down again, and i can play normally again for about 10 minutes before it happens all over again.

The fix? Open the side door of the tower and set up a large floor fan to blow in there... never happens again...

Gotta be smarter then the software.. or the hardware...
SC2 isn't failing one bit.. just be innovative... inventive... use your brain.. you do in the game right?

Now your probably gonna say.. but we shouldn't have to do that.. the game is frying chips... true ...lol... oh well.. glad i know how to fix my shit...
kinda like the millenium falcon... sometimes you just gotta kick it or hit it with a wrench... that'll get it workin..

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
this isn't really sc2's fault.. all sc2 is doing is using the graphic card to its maximum potential, its the cards that are failing by not slowing themselves down to prevent over-heating

sqrage

Reaction score
this isn't really sc2's fault.. all sc2 is doing is using the graphic card to its maximum potential, its the cards that are failing by not slowing themselves down to prevent over-heating

Your computer would just self shutdown after a certain point if your card has smart features... I don't think that's really any good either. How can you say it's not SC2's fault when there is such a simple fix that wasn't implemented?

BlowingKush

I hit the blunt but the blunt hit me.
Reaction score
I agree.

Its not the job of software manufactorers to watch out for your hardware.

Your hardware should watch out for itself, otherwise it is just poorly engineered.

Also, hardware CAN be damaged by software all the time . Nowadays that we have cooling fans being software controlled, the ability to change almost any voltage we want via BIOS, including cpu core and dram voltages, and software driven overclocking, it is easier then ever to bust your shit with the click of a mouse.

Ice Bane

Reaction score
I can't believe how many there was who fell for this, if this really was a bug blizzard would've fixed it in 0,1 seconds with a 1kb large patch.

This is just bs.

sqrage

Reaction score
I can't believe how many there was who fell for this, if this really was a bug blizzard would've fixed it in 0,1 seconds with a 1kb large patch.

This is just bs.

Pretty sure it was fixed shortly after this post... there was a patch the next day or in the following hours.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.