Improving Coding Efficiency (PHP)

JerseyFoo

1/g = g-1
Reaction score
Any recommendations on software to help improve my or anyone's coding efficiency? Particularly in PHP/MySQL.

Right now all I use is Notepad++. (Colored text, auto-tab, clean look)

However I'm getting tired of uploading a file through FTP 100 times over for tiny edits and adjustments. I'm tired of blowing 5 hours on a tiny mis-structure in the code.

I have heard of XAMP & xdebug, but how about some others?

PS: How about SSH?

enouwee

Non ex transverso sed deorsum
Reaction score
Any recommendations on software to help improve my or anyone's coding efficiency? Particularly in PHP/MySQL.
You've got a brain, use it. Works best if you have some solid algorithmics background.

Right now all I use is Notepad++. (Colored text, auto-tab, clean look)

However I'm getting tired of uploading a file through FTP 100 times over for tiny edits and adjustments. I'm tired of blowing 5 hours on a tiny mis-structure in the code.
WebDAV. Comes as option with some IDEs or can be added through a plugin (Eclipse). It also gives the script kidiots an additional chance to put their stuff onto the server without having to look for specific application. :rolleyes:

I have heard of XAMP & xdebug, but how about some others?
Zend Studio comes with such gadgets. Or Eclipse with PDT.

PS: How about SSH?
Code:
find . | cpio -o | ssh your.server.com "cd $DOCUMENT_ROOT ; cpio -imd"
(depending on bandwidth limitations, you may want to add some gzip/bzip2 in-between.

rsync is nice if you have a few GB of stuff but only few files to update. It doesn't scale with 500,000+ files though, as you kill the directory and inode caches with your updates sweeps.

JerseyFoo

1/g = g-1
Reaction score
You've got a brain, use it. Works best if you have some solid algorithmics background.

I mean particularly with analyzing code, foreign code especially.

Say you had to write a complicated modification for vBulletin, it may take days just to get a general understanding of how it's put together, nevermind everything which goes on.

WebDAV. Comes as option with some IDEs or can be added through a plugin (Eclipse). It also gives the script kidiots an additional chance to put their stuff onto the server without having to look for specific application.
Would this be a alternative to SVN?

find . | cpio -o | ssh your.server.com "cd $DOCUMENT_ROOT ; cpio -imd"
What does this do exactly?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.