in search of a book.

King TonGoll

ORLY?*DDR*
Reaction score
im in search of a book, i really want too read on.

this is around the setting i am after.

a modern day warrior.
preferible a mercinary
yound lad, around 16.
super smart in on field action and off feald planning.

SCI FI.

and if there are mechs invoulved please tell me.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

id like too start a book recomendation/ discusion topic out of this thread aswell.

dont know if i posted this in the right place.

Krys A Night

Writer
Reaction score
Have you ever read the Ender's Game Series? Those are good books.

Krys A Night

Writer
Reaction score
:D I liked that one too. The part I liked best was where he tied up that guy in the air vents and almost killed him, that one was the best.

Though, seeing as how you have those, I'm out of Sci-Fi books :) I prefer fantasy

King TonGoll

ORLY?*DDR*
Reaction score
fantasy? i dont read that much fantasy.

i dont like fantasy due too it mostly allways being indueced too one sided ethics.

millitary concepts i can understand better. i mean i dont like books where things like.

"believe in yourself and you can open the door too safty!" can happen.

if you know and fantasy books drivin by war i think i would read that, lol.

but not too much fantasy. too much meaning Narnia type.

SilverHawk

General Iroh - Dragon of the West
Reaction score
Krys A Night said:

I love that series! Definitely my favorite series. Definitely worth reading, for anyone who hasn't.

Krys A Night

Writer
Reaction score
@ King Tongoll

I don't like that kind of fantasy that much either. But you want something a little driven by the pursuit of knowledge, I'd go with The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova. Or if can handle a little murder mystery with a shamanic twist, The Urban Shaman and Thunderbird Falls by C.E. Murphey are good. Hmmm... more on the ironic side of magic is Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell is good, but i don't remember the author off the top of my head.

Look into these a little, if you don't like, I'll delve futher into my personal library for books.

Halahan

To die will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction score
The Wheel of Time is a good Series, though not modern nor many military tactics, but not to much fantasy (though fantasy is my favorite genre) Oh ya, The Alex Rider series I remember reading a long while ago, It's not so much mility as Assasin, although it fits all your other requirements, except the Sci Fi. Try going to Barns and noble and just sitting down at the fantasy/Sci Fi section and pouring over all the books and reading summaries and parts of them for hours. I did that once, and ended up getting three books, despite my lack of money :) (my brother just pointed out that it sounds almost like I stole it, though I didn't, I'm just saying that I had little money but I still bought them)

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
I've writen a story something like this, it's only a rough draft but it's finished. Maybe I'd polish it up and post it some day. ;)

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
king tongoll said:

The Blood War, written by Seth Edgar Cericus... Hey... THAT'S ME! :D

Yeah, that's a book I'm going to write sometime soon. It's about a war against Vampires and Lycans, battling the "good" forces of the world. However, it's mostly set in a modern setting. Actually, the time era of The Blood War is a few years in the future.

Halahan

To die will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction score
Oh ya, the halo books, though not modern (future) are great and there's an amazing battle in space and also some ground battles that are good, strictly military, and he's arrrooounnd 16. There's "Fall of Reach," "The Flood," and "First Strike."

Tonks

Reaction score

One great series that I've come across is the Shanarra books. There are many of the books, and like four different series. It's a good idea to start at the beginning, or else you might be lost. These are really in-depth books and take a while to read, but they're worth it. They're about fantastical things that we don't know about right now, with Magic and great wars and Druids etc. They're not too much fantasy, in my opinion. (They're a little slow to start, but you can really get into them.)
Another one I'd suggest is The House of the Scorpion. This talks about several years in the future, when there's a country dividing Mexico and the US. The country consists of a string of Opium (Opium is a drug derived from Poppy flowers, and it is very valuable in large quantities.) farms stretching out between the two countries. They capture any Mexican immigrants and put them to work with a chip that is implanted into their brain, making them "idjits". The main character is a Clone of one of the big Opium farmers, and how that Clone is treated, and the things he experiences. Overall a great, though slightly disturbing, book.

Lord_Phoenix

Dogs are fuzzy
Reaction score
Krys A Night said:

Who hasn't read them? My favorite is the first, followed by the Children of the mind. It actually helps if you read the seris our of order, Starting with Enders Game, going to Children of the Mind (I think that's the title), then the other two. It helped me understand the story better.

Other good books you might try reading:

Neil Gaiman (hes amazing, gothic Genius I met him.)
Sandman Series: Craaaaazy graphic novels
Neverwhere: once again very good, but the BBC film was horrible

He also wrote a couple of books with Terry Pratchet. I like him too, but he's too philosophical for my liking.

Card (Ender's Game series)
You might try the History of the Earth series, I liked the first one. Theres a bunch of thoes.
Also, try the Seventh Son. Its sorta wierd coolness.

Douglas Adams (all angels sing!)
WE LOVE YOU DOUGLAS ADAMS!!! BLESS YOUR CINICAL HUMOR!!!
umm, yeah everything he wrote.

If I remember anymore right now I'll tell you, but these are the top of my head.
king tongoll said:

Shame on you. I used to really like the Narnia books, until I figured out how well it relates to the Bible. I sorta lost my taste in the series after that. You might want to try the Silmarilion by Tolkien Its got ALOT of battles, and more thourghly explains the history about The Lord of the Rings. Its very good. I think it's based slightly loosly on Norse Mythology, but I can't be sure. It's been a while since I read them.

S

Stinman

king tongoll said:
im in search of a book, i really want too read on.

this is around the setting i am after.

a modern day warrior.
preferible a mercinary
yound lad, around 16.
super smart in on field action and off feald planning.

SCI FI.

and if there are mechs invoulved please tell me.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

id like too start a book recomendation/ discusion topic out of this thread aswell.

dont know if i posted this in the right place.
I just started writing a story called 'Saving Heaven', i haven't made much progress on it but it pretty much fits your description, or it will anyway. Those seven books also fit your description pretty well. I also really like to read adventure type books, their my fave. ;) I went to Barnes and Noble the other day and baught the first two books of a seven book series, i haven't read them yet but i plan to do that soon. It's titled 'The Chronicles of Prydain'. You might want to check them out sometime.

Apostle O

Reaction score
Lord_Phoenix said:
Who hasn't read them?

Oooh, me. I haven't.

Just as a show of hands, who out there is an Isaac Azimov fan? Personally, I think the guy is a genius. I am on the last book in the Foundation series, and then I have to go and read the whole Robot series. It's going to take me forever. Maybe when I am done with that, and then finish up the whole Dune series, I can look into Ender's Game.

-Apostle O

King TonGoll

ORLY?*DDR*
Reaction score
man, iv gotten soo used too the type of story lines you find in mangas.....

lol.

and iv read the house of the scorpian! i love that book soo much!

nancy farmer, i think thats her name. should make a sequel too that book.

p.s im el patron.

any of the books above invoule dessert warfare?

Lord_Phoenix

Dogs are fuzzy
Reaction score
Apostle O said:
Just as a show of hands, who out there is an Isaac Azimov fan? Personally, I think the guy is a genius. I am on the last book in the Foundation series, and then I have to go and read the whole Robot series. It's going to take me forever. Maybe when I am done with that, and then finish up the whole Dune series, I can look into Ender's Game.

I am not familier of Isaac Azimov, but I know he is the mamin foundation of many science fiction writes. I know he was a HUGE insperation for Card to become a writer and write Ender's Game. I belive he innovated science fiction, as far as I know. So, yes, read his books!

I suggest reading Dune and Ender's Game first. Ender's Game is a pretty easy read (at least, now it is) It was my one of my firse "big" books (I think I started reading it when I was 12ish). I liked Dune pretty well, but the first book is probably the best.

and iv read the house of the scorpian! i love that book soo much!
First: Its a writers corner, please try to use better English and Grammar. PLEASE?
Second: That's the one about the one kid escaping from this group because he's a clone or something, right? I don't know, I think she/he finished that series pretty well.

A really good book trilogy: Bartimaeus. Its AMAZING. It's about a young kid, and it has magic an djinn, afrits, all kinds of cool summons and stuff. And it's absoluty amazing. I suggest reading it.

The Wheel of Time is a good Series
Don't make me laugh. The Wheel of Time should have ended about 12 books ago. Seriously, he's been taking it waayyyy too long.

Another cool series is A game fo Thrones by George R.R. Martin. Its based ina mythical Mideaval times, and follows plots of several characters. It can be a little confusing, but it's nice that he gives each character his own chapter, so if you don't like that character, you can skip it and go on to the next. It's quite good.

Apostle O

Reaction score
Lord_Phoenix said:
I suggest reading Dune and Ender's Game first.

Damn... I am on the last book in the Foundation series and now you tell me. Sheesh. Oh well.

Yes, many refer to Asimov as the father of modern science fiction. All of his writings are genius (that I have read so far.) Out of his literature, his wit rivaled Mark Twain's for quotability. "If my doctor told me I had only six minutes to live, I wouldn't brood. I'd type a little faster."

I idolize him. He is one of the reasons I write, and also one of the reasons that I don't. He believed in advancement, and I can see that almost every variation of any unique story has already been told in literature. That is why I plan to tell my stories through the medium of the game. Hell, who knows. Maybe I will turn one of his stories into a game someday (although it would be kind of boring by today's standards. It would be like an interplanetary Myst.)

-Apostle O

SilverHawk

General Iroh - Dragon of the West
Reaction score
Apostle O said:
Just as a show of hands, who out there is an Isaac Azimov fan?

You better believe it. :D

This isn't really a book, per se, but it's well worth reading. I would definitely recommend Asimov's "The Last Question". It's probably my favorite short story ever, and it's interesting because it's very different from many of his other stories. I won't spoil it by saying how... :p

Also, I agree that his quotes are awesome. I actually prefer them over Mark Twain's. My two favorites:

I don't believe in an afterlife, so I don't have to spend my whole life fearing hell, or fearing heaven even more. For whatever the tortures of hell, I think the boredom of heaven would be even worse.

[When asked about whether he would choose his wife over his writing:]

(Long pause.)

Why, I would choose you, my darling.

(Short pause.)

But I had to think about it.

King TonGoll

ORLY?*DDR*
Reaction score
I reacintly bacame athiest, havnt told many, but allot know i think god is doing one lousy job, and i wouldnt feel good in heaven anyways, it seems too... happy, too perfect.

at least in hell i get trained too fight more. i mean torture has too raise your endurence.

but i cant find any good book.... man this sucks, maybe there isnt one out...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.