Incinerate Spell

NoNameDUH

Reaction score
I'm trying to make a spell that works like Incinerate by dealing stacking damage, like the first attack dealing +20, the second dealing +40, etc. For some reason, the spell itself doesn't work, and I searched around the forum, and apparently, other people had the same problems, but no one really gave answers how to solve it.

I can probably trigger the damage by adding on damage, but I don't know how to do it other than using a variable, and I want to make the spell MUI. What I have in mind is if the unit is attacked and has the buff, and the attacker has the ability, then the unit will be damaged by however much the variable is holding, and every time it is attacked, the variable count will go up by 20. But like I said, I need a MUI since multiple units will have this skill.

Avaleirra

Is back. Probably.
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums!

Set an integer variable to 20 on a map initialization or 0.02 elasped time trigger.

Now make a new trigger

event
a unit takes damage (or whatever I'm doing this freehand)
conditions
attacking unit has -yourability- equal to true
actions
set INTEGERVARIABLE = INTEGERVARIABLE+20

and then damage the enemy unit for INTEGERVARIABLE

set life of triggering unit to triggering unit life - INTEGERVARIABLE

EDIT: the dash in the last action is a minus sign

NoNameDUH

Reaction score
The only problem with that is what if two units with the spell are attacking different units? The problem with that trigger (which I already thought of) is that it's GUI, and can only be used for a single unit, whereas I want multiple units to be able to use it at once.

Avaleirra

Is back. Probably.
Reaction score
If you want it in JASS I can't help you, I don't know any JASS :p (there is a section for it)

Sorry :(

Chocobo

White-Flower
Reaction score
For some reason, the spell itself doesn't work, and I searched around the forum, and apparently, other people had the same problems, but no one really gave answers how to solve it.

Did you use the "innate" Incinerate spell (means you are not making a new spell from it) or not (means your unit has the basic Incinerate spell (can be modified) instead of a "custom" ability)?

NoNameDUH

Reaction score
It's a unit ability. And I'm not sure if that'll work. I tried making a custom ability based off of it and changed nothing except turning the ability into a unit ability instead of a hero ability.

OMGedDude

Reaction score
heres an idea:

Trigger:
  • Event
    • A Unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
    • Actions
    • If
    • Target unit of spell being cast has <Your Buff>
    • Then
    • Make Triggering unit damage Target unit of spell being cast (blah blah)
    • Else
    • Make Triggering unit damage Target unit of spell being cast (something lower than the previous)

You can also make a dummy unit cast a different buff on the target if the target already had the first buff so you can keep "stacking" the damage.

NoNameDUH

Reaction score
No, it doesn't even stack once. I tried setting it to deal +1000 damage every hit, but it didn't add even 1 damage. Is there any way to make this work other than using a global variable? The only way the global variable method would work is if only one unit had this ability or if only one unit was affected by this ability at a time.

Dest

Reaction score
Try Shadow Strike? It inflicts the first damage, and the same second damage after?

Karst

Reaction score
event
a unit takes damage (or whatever I'm doing this freehand)

Unfortunately there is no Generic Unit Event - Unit Takes Damage, only Unit is Attacked, and there are problems using that. It registers when the attack is initiated, before damage is done, and while the attack can still be canceled with a different order. And it doesn't register flawlessly on every attack.

I have the same problem, a unit with an Incinerate-based ability and the damage bonus doesn't work.

NoNameDUH

Reaction score
The unit is attacked won't be a problem since the unit is computer controlled. Only problem is that the computer will have multiple units with the ability at a time. I need it so that there will be no problem for the units to use the ability separately (not really use, since it's a passive spell).

Edit: Actually, I found a solution for this. I was actually trying to make an alternative for the spell since I found it impossible, but funnily enough I found the solution while making the alternative. I think this will work almost perfectly, but I'm pretty sure there're better ways to do it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.