Sci/Tech Insanely fast star puts Einstein’s theory to the test

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
The discovery of a star racing around the Milky Way galaxy's central black hole could be crucial to revealing the fabric of space and time around black holes—and may allow scientists to test Einstein's theory of relativity.

It’s the shortest known orbit of any star near this black hole. The previous record-holding star, known as S0-2 (The star with the yellow orbit in the GIF animation), orbits in 16 years.

The newly discovered star, known as S0-102 (the “S” is for Sagittarius, the constellation containing the galactic center and the black hole, the star with the dark pink orbit in the GIF animation), could offer a unique opportunity to test Einstein’s theory of general relativity, says Tuan Do, an astronomer at the University of Toronto’s Dunlap Institute and a member of the team that made the discovery. They report their findings in Science.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan

The New Helper.Net gives me great Anxiety... o.O;;
Reaction score
S016 looks closer to me. XD

phyrex1an

Staff Member and irregular helper
Reaction score
S016 looks closer to me. XD
It's not about how close the stars are, nor about how fast they travel. It's how long it takes for them to complete a full orbit that's interesting. You need to observe several (or at least one and a half) full orbits before you can measure the precession.

Btw, our sun completes a full orbit in ~250000000 years. Kinda long compared with the 11.5 years of S0-102 :p

Reactions: Dan

camelCase

The Case of the Mysterious Camel.
Reaction score
Pretty pictures!
The Universe suddenly seems much smaller =/

I had no idea we could even track stars near the center of our Galaxy or know how long our Sun takes to orbit. Damn, this means that the Sun has gone round the center of the Galaxy a few times since the Earth was created ;O

Damnnnn

Dan

Reaction score
It's not about how close the stars are, nor about how fast they travel. It's how long it takes for them to complete a full orbit that's interesting. You need to observe several (or at least one and a half) full orbits before you can measure the precession.

Btw, our sun completes a full orbit in ~250000000 years. Kinda long compared with the 11.5 years of S0-102 :p

I see. Still though, enough momentum will keep a star that goes super close to a black hole in tact? I always thought that if you orbited close enough to a black hole that you would get shredded.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
I see. Still though, enough momentum will keep a star that goes super close to a black hole in tact? I always thought that if you orbited close enough to a black hole that you would get shredded.
It might not be a real "black hole". A fake one?

Dan

Reaction score
FireCat, you're a black hole of knowledge.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score

Only if it passes the event horizon. It might be possible that these stars are in such extreme circumstances, they manage to violate the laws governing physics, but most likely they're just getting thrown around the ergosphere.

Varine

Reaction score
It spits out cosmic rays, so I imagined FireCat as a superhero.

*shudders*

Or really sick. Maybe he's in a terminal cancer ward and that's why he won't tell us anything about himself. Or a test subject....

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Oh dear ^
But seriously, If a black hole existed, why doesn't it suck up, all the matter in the Universe?
Don't be so Curious, Varine!

Varine

Reaction score
Vault 87?

Not entirely sure what that is. From Fallout right? (I never really played that series).

But seriously, If a black hole existed, why doesn't it suck up, all the matter in the Universe?

Are you serious dude? We JUST had this conversation in another thread....

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

• Ghan
        Administrator - Servers are fun

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.