Installing PHPbb2

MrApples

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Ok I have uploaded it to the host in a folder 'forum', and when I tried to access the install.php page a error page came up. I think it may have something to do with all the phps files being seen as editable by dreamweaver files(Their green). How would I undo this if so, if not, what could it be?

Also off-topic, but how would I make it so Frontpage puts all images in the image folder, and not in the root.

mixmax2

RedArmyGangsta
Reaction score
First of all, make sure your server allows php, then make sure your accessing through the correct url, http://www.url.com/forum/install.php, once it installs the tables delete the install.php and config.php, if you cant access the install.php it is because your server does not automatically CHMod files, where now you must do it, i believe you must CHMOD it to 777 for it to be accessible, but im not sure.

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
What? All files are ALWAYS edited-able.

What? Why are you using frontpage? Use dreamweaver if you have it.

That was really hard to read and understand xD Can you post the error?

mixmax2

RedArmyGangsta
Reaction score
CHMod is a option on -nix servers (linux and all that) and what it does is allow you to set file permissions, for example, on my server if you right click on a file you see this...

permissions9vm.jpg

Now, my server automatically sets stuff like the php files to the correct permissions so that each file can be "read" by people, but not executed or "wrote" on.(ran or changed.) And if I want additional options i just check em. Anyway for a php file to be accessible through url you need to give it basic permissions(Im guessing your server didn't) and basic permissions in this case would be check all "read" so anyone can read(go to via url) the file. Once you do that for all the php(Your server should of done this auto, mine did, but I'm Linux with PHP) I'm not even sure if phpbb works with Microsoft ASP servers. Anyway back on track, once you do that for all the php you will be able to access the install.php via url, it will install tables to your database(which you should've set the info to like, database name, database sn and password, and all that in the file the phpbb tutorial specified.) and then your board will be set up but you wont be able to go to it till you delete the install and config phps.

Again i am not sure but I run Linux PHP and I remember something on the phpbb forum saying Microsoft ASP does not work with phpbb.

MrApples

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I think 1and1 using microsoft servers...

So i'm stuck with Simple Machines then I guess.

Also the server does not support changing file permissions.

mixmax2

RedArmyGangsta
Reaction score
MrApples said:
I think 1and1 using microsoft servers...

So i'm stuck with Simple Machines then I guess.

Also the server does not support changing file permissions.

If it's microsoft, sorry no phpbb for you, if their is no way of setting permissions contact your host because if you cant set permissions you can't do much with forum software :(

MrApples

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Same problem with Simple Machines though, also 1and1 has linux and ms, but our package is ms. For the phpbb tutorial it only said the config file needs to be set, so that still wouldn't change me being able to see the install page at least, even ifI can't edit it.

EDIT: I just looked through the features charts again and it says nothing about supporting PHP5 under the Microsoft server chart, so I must have read the Linux chart when I said it did. So confusing.

Linux Comparison Chart
Microsoft Comparison Chart

So if it doesn't support PHP, what should I do? Does any good forum software run on ASP... if thats even possible?

mixmax2

RedArmyGangsta
Reaction score
Well, every forum you've pretty much heard about, invision, vb, yabb, phpbb, that forum ddr likes, they are all php. :( When i first got my hostign on go daddy I chose microsoft ASP because I did not know what i was doing, then i saw phpbb so i wanted to use it, my host just let me change the package to Linux, so unless you want to do that, or maybe can't do that. Then go surf through 10 google pages for a ASP forum :(

P

Persen

Well you have CHMOD, but that's a minor problem.
Just hope that the host doesn't run safe_mode.

P

Persen

Then i guess it's fine :D

No, seriously.

CHMOD defines if a user is allowed to read, write to and/or execute a file.
It's nothing to worry about, since it's easily edited in a FTP client.

safe_mode is a thing for PHP, and it makes certain things harder to make, or even impossible. If you don't plan on writing scripts, it can be almost ignored.
It can make some problems with uploads to your forum (avatars n such) but that can be helped.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Here is another comfort food favorite - Million Dollar Casserole - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-million-dollar-casserole.193614/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.