Installing to external hard drive

R

Rysho

I'm attempting to install Battlefield 1942 to my iPod so I can play on a laptop where I don't have administrator priveleges. I've been using my desktop computer to attempt the install, however, I keep getting an "Invalid directory or drive" warning from the installer and it won't let me install.

The game installs fine to the desktop computer's C: drive, but not the external iPod drive. (Normally L:, depending on what flash drives are in at the time.)

I do own the game legitimately, and still have the original cases with CD keys, so that's definately not the issue.

I have installed programs directly to the iPod before (StarCraft being the only other game). Any ideas on what's up, or ways to get around it? Thanks all.

enouwee

Non ex transverso sed deorsum
Reaction score
I'm attempting to install Battlefield 1942 to my iPod so I can play on a laptop where I don't have administrator priveleges. I've been using my desktop computer to attempt the install, however, I keep getting an "Invalid directory or drive" warning from the installer and it won't let me install.

That won't work, as essential data is saved inside the registry, and maybe some other files on the system partition (C:). Merely having the game's files on your external disk is not enough to be able to play.

What do you think administrative provileges are for, if not to prevent altering the system or unwanted software being installed?

R

Rysho

Then not having a registry on the iPod is probably my problem. I do have admin priveleges on this computer, where I attempted to install, so I didn't think that was the problem.

I'll just have to continue learning about the game's specific installation procedure and try again later.

Thanks though.

w/e

Boaroceraptorasaurus-Rex
Reaction score
The registry is where important information, like your CD-Key get saved. The registry cannot be on an external HD. Even if you installed it successfully to your iPod, it won't work because you need administrative privileges to edit the registry.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.