Installing Vista

cheeto515

Reaction score
Okay, heres the problem:

I have vista installed on my other computer, but I used the "Trial" version. Unfortunately, it expired because I forgot to put the key in XD. But now when I turn my comp on, it begins to load up vista, and goes black with nothing there.

My brother said I would have to format my hardrive and re-install vista.
The only thing is, I dunno how to format my hardrive, and I think I have to do that first before I can install Vista. In help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

enouwee

Non ex transverso sed deorsum
Reaction score
Okay, heres the problem:

I have vista installed on my other computer, but I used the "Trial" version. Unfortunately, it expired because I forgot to put the key in XD. But now when I turn my comp on, it begins to load up vista, and goes black with nothing there.

That's called "degraded functionality mode". There's not "nothing there", but a browser opens, so you can activate your copy. If you paid for it, that's all you need.

cheeto515

Reaction score
Yeah... I know theres SUPPOSED to be a window, but it's not showing up. Thats why Im trying to get help from you guys..

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
You want to put the Vista CD back in, then from the menu choose to install. You want to make sure that you are booting from the CD - just put the CD in the computer and restart the computer and it should boot from the CD. If not you will have to change the device bootup order in your bios.

enouwee

Reaction score
Press Ctrl-Alt-Delete, fire up the task manager from there and use its "Run" command to start an "explorer.exe". You should get your desktop back, but only for one hour.

From there, activate your copy.

cheeto515

Reaction score
Eh.I tried setting first boot to my CD-drive where my vista CD is, but it just does the same thing :banghead:

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Is this a CD that you bought from the store or something burned?

cheeto515

Reaction score
Press Ctrl-Alt-Delete, fire up the task manager from there and use its "Run" command to start an "explorer.exe". You should get your desktop back, but only for one hour.

From there, activate your copy.

Ctrl-alt-delete doesn't do anything :/

cheeto515

Reaction score
It's a burned CD of my original copy. Do I need to get the orig? My bro's got it in California -_-

enouwee

Reaction score
It's a burned CD of my original copy. Do I need to get the orig? My bro's got it in California -_-

It doesn't matter, as long as the installation key hasn't been used on another device. The license grants you the right to make one copy.

Give it at least 2 minutes before rebooting. Should nothing happen, then you seem to have another problem. What about safe mode? If you don't end up on the desktop in safe mode, consider doing a repair installation.

cheeto515

Reaction score
It doesn't matter, as long as the installation key hasn't been used on another device. The license grants you the right to make one copy.

Give it at least 2 minutes before rebooting. Should nothing happen, then you seem to have another problem. What about safe mode? If you don't end up on the desktop in safe mode, consider doing a repair installation.

Thats what I'm trying to do XD. Re-install. But the program to reinstall isn't showing up, and I can't get to the activation screen for some reason.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.