Sci/Tech Intel 'preparing' to put an end to user-replaceable CPUs

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Yesterday, a report emerged claiming that Intel is planning to release its upcoming 14-nanometer Broadwell architecture processors as a ball grid array (BGA) rather than an land grid array (LGA) package.

This would have several widespread implications, including bringing to an end to processor (CPU) upgrades.

Traditionally, the processors in desktop systems are fitted into a socket on the motherboard that allows them to be removed and replaced, while systems such as notebooks and tablets have the CPU soldered onto the motherboard.

At present, Intel uses the LGA package design, which allows the processor to either be fitted into a socket or soldered directly to a motherboard. This gives the OEM down the line options as to how to mount the processor onto the motherboard.

A switch to BGA would mean that the processor could no longer be fitted into socket where it could be removed or replaced, and instead would be soldered to the motherboard much like processors for notebooks and tablets are nowadays.

Read more here.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
meh... not too happy, but at that size the pins might get too tiny... they are fragile enough already

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Eh, typically when you get a new CPU it won't fit into the old pin set anyway. At least that's how it always works with me, so I get a new motherboard too. Plus I want to expand, say, the video cards I have and need more expansion slots, or more hard drives, etc. So I don't see this as a major issue, more of a slight inconvenience.

Fatmankev

Chef, Writer, and Midnight Toker
Reaction score
What exactly is the reason behind this change? Would it be advantageous to the computer's overall efficiency as compared to the socketed style?

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
What exactly is the reason behind this change? Would it be advantageous to the computer's overall efficiency as compared to the socketed style?

performance-wise none, although it would be cheaper to manufacture for the motherboards (no clamp needed) and there would be less risk of damage to the components (bent pins, finger smudges on the contacts, etc.)

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Probably more money for intel. But it might also be that the new design is just too hard to fit into a slot and they worry a user might rather break the CPU instead.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
Techology size and pin size have nothing to do with each other.

as the manufacturing process shrinks, the overall size of the chip shrinks as well, but as performance increases, the number of contact points/pins needs to increase to keep up - pins take more room than "pads" - they aren't directly related, but there is a limitation that is being approached

Dan

The New Helper.Net gives me great Anxiety... o.O;;
Reaction score
You know, I was thinking about this and I came to the conclusion that it's really not very different than what Intel already does. You don't have a whole ton of leeway with Intel with respect to sockets (1 generation behind?) and no backwards compatability?

This would be BIG news if it were AMD, since they tend to keep the sockets the same for a longer period of time and have backwards compatability (+sockets).

rover2341

Is riding a roller coaster...Wee!
Reaction score
I don't think intel I so dumb to do it for little to no reason. they must figure that this is good for the industry. I don't think Intel is so money hungery that they are just trying to save a few bucks.

Assuming its more then intel saving few bucks, I would like to see what sort of impact this is going to have.

Before I hear more news from intel about this, and some time go by. I am not gona be a hater.
I have never upgraded my chip after buying a computer. That doesn't mean I like to loose the ability.

But If I were to go build one from scratch I would hate to think I cant mix and match boards and cpus.

rover2341

Is riding a roller coaster...Wee!
Reaction score
Ya I should have figured.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/LGA-BGA-Socketed-SoC-DIY,19594.html

Intel has finally stepped forth to defend its position on socket-based CPUs.

"Intel remains committed to the growing desktop enthusiast and channel markets, and will continue to offer socketed parts in the LGA package for the foreseeable future for our customers and the Enthusiast DIY market," Intel spokesman Daniel Snyder told Maximum PC. "However, Intel cannot comment on specific long-term product roadmap plans at this time, but will disclose more details later per our normal communication process."

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.