Sci/Tech International study suggests a massive black hole exists in the Sword of Orion

Nyph

Occasional News Reader
Reaction score
So we define the size of all other objects by where their outermost mass is. But if the object is a black hole, we instead arbitrarily use some new definition of size based on some gravitational property. That does not seem logical to me.
Also, I'll say it once again, massive means heavy, not big.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
There is more to a black hole than singularity. If you're talking about a black hole you're talking about the whole of it - singularity, the event horizon, and the ergosphere. If you want to talk about singularity you say singularity. We are not talking about singularity. We are talking about black holes.

Nyph

Occasional News Reader
Reaction score
So, do you think black holes are massive? What about the smaller ones? Are elephants big?

Fatmankev

Chef, Writer, and Midnight Toker
Reaction score
What's the argument at this point in the game? It's all loops n' swoops n' shit. And to Nyph, you can't try to claim that massive doesn't mean 'big' as well. Most words have several definitions, and massive is no exception. And no matter how big or small or heavy or light any given black hole is, you could call it massive or diminutive depending on what you're scaling it to. That's the problem with only being able to base things off of past experiences - everything is relative.

(And I realize that 'heavy' and 'light' generally describe weight, I just don't have a better way to describe mass in that sense)

Nyph

Occasional News Reader
Reaction score
Well, to me all black holes are massive. And thats the end of it as far as I'm concerned.

C-Death

I love you
Reaction score

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
PmqdU.gif

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Can black hole lose enough mass to "stop being a black hole? "

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Varine, where did you get that GIF?? It's still slower than the speed of light.

camelCase

The Case of the Mysterious Camel.
Reaction score
Actually, that's about the speed of light;
Distance from Earth to Moon: 384,400 km
Speed of Light: 299 792 458 m / s or 299 792 km / s
Time = Distance / Speed
Time = 384 400 km / 299 792 km/s
Time = ~0.9486577360303144 s
Meh, about 0.95 s

The gif does seem to take about 0.95 s to go from the Earth to the moon after displaying its text.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.