Internet Dating

punwisp

Reaction score
Nowadays internet dating is extremely common, and often is almost accepting. Statistically some say its just as emotional as a normal one.

What are your thoughts on it...

DISCUSS!!

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Myspace.... nuff said

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
What do you define as internet dating? Meeting people online and then going out on dates with them? I think that's fine.

Meeting people and "dating" them over the internet is obviously ridiculous for a number of reasons.

Someone is NEVER the same in person as they are on the phone, over webcam or through text chats.

What's a relationship without sex? Immaturity aside, it will lead to obvious cheating because they can't be pleased in that way so will seek it from others.

It encourages antisocial behavior; staying at home in front of your computer as apposed to being outside in the beautiful world.

etc.

punwisp

Reaction score
What do you define as internet dating? Meeting people online and then going out on dates with them? I think that's fine.

Meeting people and "dating" them over the internet is obviously ridiculous for a number of reasons.

Someone is NEVER the same in person as they are on the phone, over webcam or through text chats.

What's a relationship without sex? Immaturity aside, it will lead to obvious cheating because they can't be pleased in that way so will seek it from others.

It encourages antisocial behavior; staying at home in front of your computer as apposed to being outside in the beautiful world.

etc.

To the bolded

Thats not internet dating xD

NightShade

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
What exactly is internet dating though?

I think the entire concept of just talking to someone to get to know someone is flawed. talking to somebody to get to know them better is fine as long as your doing something else at the same time. people will lie or try to conceal their true personality.
this is all the easier over the internet.

punwisp

Reaction score
Its simple. Its dating online lol

In other words it can be a long distant (Well it is anyway) relationship over the internet.

Common through games, there are multiple flaws i internet dating

You can't be sure who someone is
Trust can be difficult
People can go poof anytime
Never know if they are dating someone
If you haven't heard there voice they could be the same sex as you.
They could be lying about age.

However its different if you have talked to them and seen eachother lets say through webcam, which takes a way a few of the above things I mentioned. Trust can still be a issue, you dont know if they are dating someone else or lying about something.

However its actually just as emotional. And in the younger generation most teens have internet dated at least once. Even I have.

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
I haven't. And I'm in the younger generation, I'm 19. Anyway, I haven't and I don't want to. It doesn't seem emotional at all to me, as physical contact is of extreme importance in a relationship. Without it, the entire thing just fades off and never remains as a really important memory.

I also think it's a way to damage your social skills. People who are constantly dating online should go out and get a real girlfriend/boyfriend.

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
I haven't. And I'm in the younger generation, I'm 19. Anyway, I haven't and I don't want to. It doesn't seem emotional at all to me, as physical contact is of extreme importance in a relationship. Without it, the entire thing just fades off and never remains as a really important memory.

I also think it's a way to damage your social skills. People who are constantly dating online should go out and get a real girlfriend/boyfriend.

I support that.
--

I also think that the people that internet date could easily lie about their appearance... lie about the fact that they are a pedophile... etc..

NightShade

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Its simple. Its dating online lol

so is this a date through chat, a date through skype, what??? online is a huge word. if you can actually see the person it's not so bad. and if you actually know the person in real life it's even better.

BlowingKush

I hit the blunt but the blunt hit me.
Reaction score
I will never date anyone, internet or real life.
I only care about having sex and that is all.
Whenever casual sex is hard to find, I pay for it.

If a woman does not wish to engage in meaningless sex with me
after limited social interation, then she is of no use to me.

First of all, I do not believe in love.
We live in a world of self preservation and self satisfaction. I would rather share a moment of intellect or humor with someone than continue a life long fantasy of false commitment. 2 people who claim to be in love are really to cowardly to face this world alone, and to ignorant to accept the fact that ultimately it is human nature to do something new.

Secondly, I do not wish to get married.
Marriage is just a christian religious ritual that gives 2 people an excuse to fuck without being condemned by thier family and religious peers. If I was ignorant enough to become married, I would not need my family, the government, or the church to sign off on my choice of a sexual partner.

Thirdly, I could never respect a woman.
Woman are very shallow minded and only care about being beautiful and being important in thier social group or society. Also they never question the world around them as far as science or politics, and accept the world as it is given to them. They are rarely independent and typically rely on family to support them economically or socially thier entire lives.

Sintoras

Shaaakaa!
Reaction score

We live in a world of self preservation and self satisfaction. I would rather share a moment of intellect or humor with someone than continue a life long fantasy of false commitment. 2 people who claim to be in love are really to cowardly to face this world alone, and to ignorant to accept the fact that ultimately it is human nature to do something new.

...And maybe people who supposedly don't love or cannot are too cowardly to open themselves up and simply be together with someone.
And, going by your line of argument, what better way of self preservation is there than love? Your genes get passed on afterall and thats what life is all about, if you see it in a very darwinistic way.

Marriage is just a christian religious ritual that gives 2 people an excuse to fuck without being condemned by thier family and religious peers. If I was ignorant enough to become married, I would not need my family, the government, or the church to sign off on my choice of a sexual partner.

Thats not quite right. Its kind of sad if all you see in a relationship is sex. I have no problem with not getting married, as a matter of fact I don't know if I will. Getting married is not a legal pretense to have sex. You certainly do not need to marry for that. Marriage is just a sign to show how valuable your partner is for you, how important it is to you that the two of you can live together. What you describe is an ultra orthodox, medieval view on marriage, propagated by a chrich always in search for power.

Woman are very shallow minded and only care about being beautiful and being important. Also they never question the world around them as far as science or politics, and accept the world as it is given to them. They rarely are independent and typically lean of family to support them economically or socially thier whole lives.

Right....um...Mr. Hypocrite, you might might want to go out there into the real world and see what its like. And try googling "sexism".

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
You don't know because you've never been in love it's that simple

Marriage is just a christian religious ritual.
:rolleyes: Marriage is not Just a christian religious ritual. Evryone are not christian.. but they are married anyway. So what you say about that?

Thirdly, I could never respect a woman
So you dont want have respect back? That means you doesn't respect no one.

BlowingKush

I hit the blunt but the blunt hit me.
Reaction score
I will let you gentlemen correct your grammar, sentence structure (or lack thereof), and develop your arguments more before I even consider a rebuttal.

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
I will let you gentlemen correct your grammar, sentence structure (or lack thereof), and develop your arguments more before I even consider a rebuttal.

#4 (sort of..), [del]attacking[/del] pointing out their grammar issues isn't the right way to debate.

You need to heavily rethink your arguments - and perhaps read the stickies (as you should do before posting anyway) - before you post in the Debates forum again.

punwisp

Reaction score

And you do know, normally only trolls who seek to win by attacking ones weakness rather than debate the topic at hand, speak the way you do.

And, to your previous points.

Are you serious? It kinda seemed like you bullshitted that whole post Lol. If that whole thing is true you seemed to be pretty...

Narcissistic

Sexist

If all that BS you said is true, all that does seemed hypocritical, and because of that, I have a hard time believing anything you said :D.

NightShade

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
@ bud
wow, someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

anyway, is anyone actually going to discuss the debate topic?

Nigerianrulz

suga suga how'd you get so fly?
Reaction score

Woman are very shallow minded and only care about being beautiful and being important in thier social group or society. Also they never question the world around them as far as science or politics, and accept the world as it is given to them. They are rarely independent and typically rely on family to support them economically or socially thier entire lives.

that comment is about the most sexist comment ive ever seen in my life.

back on topic.
internet dating have too many flaws to be serious... tbh me and my friends have pulled off pranks on those so called "dating" websites and manage to pretend to be a female and they would actually believe it until we chose to reveal ourselves.. which is the best part ;)

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
No, just no...
My buddy has been "dating" his "girlfriend" for two years now. He lives here in Bakersfield, California, and she lives like 3,000 miles away in North Carolina. They've met each other a few times in person lately, and shes a cool chick, but he always throws a "Sorry, I can't hang out, talking to Lauren tonight" or "Lauren and I are going to play a game" when I ask if he wants to chill. On top of that, he's had sex with like 3 other people since hes been "with" her.

He says he loves her, but you really can't "know know" a person online. He says "they get along so well!". Well, I talk to a bunch of chicks online that I get along with, and if lived near them, would consider dating. Face it, with the use of internet, it's possible to meet awesome people across the world. Theres millions of people, I'm sure you're likely to meet someone you "get along with good" if you talk to people. Though, no matter how many times people say "i'm the same in person", it's a lie. You also don't have to deal with everyday habits, such as eating, music, tv, hygiene, ect. If you only see each other once or twice a year, if that, then at those times you WILL "put on a face" so you look good for your girlfriend/boyfriend.

Really, the ONLY thing that "online dating" will do to you is hurt you. It's all emotional support, and maybe nudes, both of which you can get from friends if you really wanted to. I am single, I have emotional support from my friends, both male and female, and I don't feel the need to have some chick that lives half way across the US or World making me feel complete. It just kinda hurts your social skills if you consider yourself "taken". Why waste your time with someone you won't/don't see when you could meet someone local and actually date them? Not to mention it won't last.

As you can tell, I absolutely despise online dating, or whatever you want to call it. If you're 18 and have the money and have been TALKING to, not "Dating", a person on the internet and really wanna see if you'd work out, go meet them. If it works out, you'd have to move or them have to move, which I still find pretty stupid, but it's at least reasonable compared to "dating" someone across the planet long distance.

It won't work out, and you're just wasting time you could be using going out and meeting people.

Just my 2cents, of course. :thdown:

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
People wouldnt be doing it if it doesnt work. And since people are doing it, it must work sometimes. Not all the time, just sometimes.

Im not saying its OK to internet date, its not, you can talk to someone over the internet for 5 years, and when they leave, you dont feel anything, because you never really knew them.

You cant date the internet.
You cannot feel for the internet.
The internet is not a person.

--
And at Budsmoke.. what the crap?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/

The Helper Discord

Staff online

• Ghan
        Administrator - Servers are fun

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.