Technology Internet Explorer 7 released

Rapmaster

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Microsoft has finally released a replacement for IE6. A lot of work has gone in to cleaning up the interface and vastly improving security.

Internet Explorer 7 has been in beta for several months now and has received some pretty solid reviews. And today, Microsoft released the final, complete and supported version.

Microsoft is planning on releasing IE7 via Automatic Updates shortly. This will ensure the widest deployment possible and it's the only way they will be able to quickly move most non-technical users off of the old and insecure IE6.

Even people who use other browsers such as Firefox would be wise to upgrade to IE7, because IE is still used for a lot of things in the background.

Users will be prompted before IE7 is automatically installed, and will have the choice to decline or postpone the installation. Microsoft has released instructions on how corporate IT departments can block or manage the automatic installation of IE7.

Oh yes... IE7 has tabbed browsing as well. Some people enjoy this feature. There's also a phishing filter to detect sites that try to steal your bank card info (I guess people are still falling for those scams!)

Here's an interesting comparison of security in IE7 and Firefox 2.0 (article was based on Release Candidate 3 of IE7 and Beta 1 of Firefox 2.0):

Last edited by a moderator:

Halo_king116

Working As Intended
Reaction score
Hmm, what to think. I have always used IE due to unresovable errors with FireFox. I haven't got much time to use Firefox, so I can't compare IE to it much.

But right now, I am using IE7. Took about 20 minutes to install, and set up a bunch of personal settings I like. It has a nicer look to it, but some things are irritating to find out how to do, but once I did it worked fine. I started 5 minutes after you posted this, and right now I feel confortable with the update.

One thing I like is the text looks a lot nicer. The text in IE6 looked not as nice as this text does. Some how, it just looks smoother, and no it's not just my imagination -.-

The tab feature will take a bit to get used to. No it's not in the way, in any way at all. Just it's more efficient than not using it and I want to get in the habbit of using it.

And reading the comparison you linked, it basically came out with the outcome that both browsers will be about equal, having added new layers of protection and provide additional information to make the users make more educated decisions, which many users need to do :p

I would suggest downloading IE7, taking the time to work it to how you want it, then compare it with FireFox. Then decide for yourself what you like more :)

I am picking IE7, because as I said FireFox gives me trouble, so I don't bother. Atleast now some of you can't call me a sick IE user :D

Have a nice day!

King TonGoll

ORLY?*DDR*
Reaction score
A they finally made something equel to mozilla firefox when it first came out, and here i was thinking bill gates was a cheapo.

you sick IE users.
JK JK.

really though. its a lot better. theyd been using IE6 for too long.

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
Five years of development do seem a bit long for permanently fixing a toolbar and adding tabs...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/chats/transcripts/06_1012_ez_ie.mspx
Every second reply here says "Considered for futur release".

What were they doing all this time?

> Then decide for yourself what you like more

Done.
Same as currently, IE will be used for a final check, in the hopes that it might actually render the pages correctly without too many IE specific "fixes".

Well, it does add ClearType to your system.
That's just the thing. Provided you have a decent screen.

Halo_king116

Working As Intended
Reaction score
Yea, who knows, maybe thats true. But Firefox does have some downfalls...

For me it dopesn't work, which perhaps suggests not as good compatabilty. Also, that many websites say "This may only work for Internet Explorer".

You rarely see "This will not work for Internet Explorer".

Also, what IE misses other programs will get. Firefox is just as good as protecting your computer as other programs from companies like Symantec. Thats the thing, you get Firefox for it's protection when you could just as easily get another program and get the same effect.

Just my "Internet Explorer Whack-job" comments :p

Have a nice day! I should give Firefox more credit, but until it works I can't :(

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
>>For me it dopesn't work, which perhaps suggests not as good compatabilty.
Well, that's most likely something with your computer, and post the error you get in the tech section, I'm sure we can get it fixed. xD

>>Also, that many websites say "This may only work for Internet Explorer
That's because IE is dumb and requires so many specific things to display things right, so people just code it for IE since it's the most used and are too lazy to make it for all the other browsers.

I like FireFox2 more than any other browser :)

chris

Reaction score
So at the moment it just me and Halo_king116 that like IE.

I think that it looks brill...but i will agree that it has taken a long time and the have nicked the idea for the tabbed browsing.....lol

I was just wondering how long its going to take firefox to nick the security idea that turns the address bar red when you visit a "phishing" site....i dont think it will be that long to be honest.

At the end of the day it is down to the look...and the personal feel

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
> how long it's going to take Firefox to nick the security idea that turns the address bar red when you visit a "phishing" site

Done. Get the latest.

Though the address bar doesn't turn red, the entire page turns black and there's an unmissable dialog box.
That also looks different from the usual "ok / cancel" that people don't read anyway.

Seriously though, that's definitely a feature I have absolutely no need for...

chris

Reaction score
AceHart said:
> how long it's going to take Firefox to nick the security idea that turns the address bar red when you visit a "phishing" site

Done. Get the latest.

Seriously though, that's definitely a feature I have absolutely no need for...

Beat me too it......just realised.. :banghead:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.