Iooking for old games..

Juno**

Reaction score
hey guys! I decided to stop editing for awhile and wanted to play offline games... can you guys suggest a game that is like warcraft/starcraft? (my pc is kinda slow.. so the older the better)(RPG are good too)

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Old games? I guess thats my territory.
Lets see:

Baldurs Gate + Expansion (Western-RPG)

Baldurs Gate 2 + Expansion <- One of the f*cking best games on earth!

Icewind Dale + Expansion (Western-RPG)

Popolous: The Beginning (God-Sim. + RTS-Game) <- There is even still an online matchmaking server running! (I love this game)

Black & White (God-Sim.) <- Very buggy but still a jewel.

Command & Conquer: Tiberium Dawn + Expansion (RTS-Game)

Command & Conquer: Red Alert + Expansion (RTS-Game)

Command & Conquer: Tiberium Sun + Expansion (RTS-Game) <- My favorite of the series!

Conquest: Frontier Wars (Space RTS) <- Its like starcraft BUT IN SPACE

Stronghold (Medieval RTS) <- A classic, recently a remake was published which pushes the unit limit to 10000 per player as i have heard.

Knights and Merchants (Medieval RTS + Economy-Sim.) <- More medieval economy simulation then RTS, quite buggy, quite old, but i love this game.

ZSNESW (Supernintendo Game Emulator)
Yoshies Island (Plattformer) <- This game is so beautiful, its a piece of art.

Act Raiser (God-Sim. + Sidescroller) <- published only in japan, incredibly hard. (English fan-made-version available)

Evo (Think about spore, but old)

Secret of Mana (JRPG) <- A classic.

Seiken Densetsu 3 (Secret of Mana 2) <- Again, only japan, but the best SNES game ever made, if you ask me. (English fan-made-version available)

Terranigma (JRPG + God-Sim?) <- A very nice RPG with a deep story.

Lost Vikings (Plattformer) <- Made by blizzard entertainment, its fun, lot of jokes there, and quite hard to be honest.

Bahamut Lagoon (Strategy RPG) <- Again, only japan, but it has a very deep storyline and interesting dialogues, a really great battle system too! (English fan-made-version available)

Zelda: A Link to the Past (JRPG) <- A very good zelda title, definitely among the best.

Final Fantasy 6 (JRPG) <- One of the better titles, very long game.

VisualBoyAdvance (Gameboy / GameboyAdvanced / Gameboy[...] Emulator)
Advanced Wars (Round based Strategy) <- Fun every now and then.

Advanced Wars 2 (Round based Strategy)

Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced (Strategy RPG) <- Its okay.

All those SNES / Gameboy[...] Games can be downloaded, legally if you own the original copy, and safely if the game was never published in your country. (Because there is no copyright for it in your country probably)

Popolous: The beginning is also a free game at this time. Same goes for the very early command & conquer games if i remember correctly.

All of those games are great fun, i hope i was able to help you.

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Accname...

Our tastes in games are really the same! :) I would vouch for most of Accname's titles (especially Baldur's Gate II, FF6, Zelda:ALTTP, EVO, Yoshi's Island), and I will add some as well.
You included Final Fantasy Tactics Advance but not Final Fantasy Tactics? Weird.

I would add in

Fallout (top-down RPG, PC): One of the best western RPGs, including Fallout 2. Great setting, gameplay, and involvement. Fallout 3 is... quite demanding on a PC, yours surely wouldn't run it. And is quite different.

Final Fantasy Tactics (RPG-Strategy, PlayStation 1 and 2): The best Final Fantasy title in my opinion. Deep story, insane replayability and character development. The one game I've pressed "New game" the most, including the dreaded Diablo II which I've played for years.

Dungeon Keeper (RTS, PC): This is a very interesting game, because you get to play the villain. Heroes come to your dungeon to seek you out, and how you deal with them is entirely up to you. A much praised and charming game worth every hour invested. Don't buy it on Good old games though, it is said they messed up somehow. Find it somewhere else. Old retail copy?

Heroes of Might and Magic (Strategy, PC): The whole series, from 1 to 6 (hmm... maybe not the first. Too old.) Every game has its charm over the others, so it's up to you to decide. Your PC might not run the 5th and 6th installments though. If I had to choose one, I would say the 3rd. These games all have incredible soundtrack.

If I come up with more, I'll let you know, but all the games mentioned so far in this thread are great, if not amazing in certain cases.

BTW: If you haven't played any or very few of those games, I envy you. I would pay a lot of $ to be able to discover them again. ;)

Juno**

Reaction score
Wow!:eek: .. Most of the games you guys listed are games I haven't played before... Except C&C: Red Alert (+Expansion) and Heroes of might and magic (1 or maybe 2)... I really hope these games are still being sold in the stores near our place because I really like to try the classics... Most of the games these days are focused only in the graphics quality and they have put less effort on the gameplay plus you could finish the game in less than a day or two or it's just fun when you just started and then you could get sick of it when you reach a certain level:( ... Well, Anyway. It would be great if I can find these games and it would be better if it's cheap...:D

My brother also mentioned a game.. Its name was Civilization or something like that.. You guys tried it before?

EDIT:
I would really appreciate more suggestions..:D

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Civilisation is okay, but i personally didnt like it that much. There was alot of "random factors" in the battle system as far as i remember.

Most of these games are, in fact, pretty cheap today.
I would wait with Baldurs Gate & Icewind Dale because, as i have heard, there is going to be a remake of them soon with alot of bugfixes and improvements.

Popolous however is free, and the SNESW-games are also free, at least the japan-only ones are free to get. The original SNESW catridges are not being produced nor sold anymore so i guess its safe to download the roms for these as well, there is no way for you to get them "legally".
Most other games in the list are probably very cheap, just recently i saw some of the listed ones being sold for 3€ in the local stores here.

@Sim:
Final Fantasy Tactics and Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced, i pretty much put them together there xD. Besides that, a PSX-Emulator is a little bit more tricky then the VisualBoyAdvance.
I would have loved to get my hands on a copy of Dungeon Keeper but i never found it here.
Its funny how they made popolous free but the older Dungeon Keeper is not yet.

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wall of text incoming!

> I really hope these games are still being sold in the stores near our place because I really like to try the classics...

You can always try eBay. I found most of my SNES cartridges that way. You could probably find every game in my list that way too, and most games in Accname's list. More expensive avenue though.

> My brother also mentioned a game.. Its name was Civilization or something like that.. You guys tried it before?

Never got to try Civilization but it looked good when I saw it.

> I would really appreciate more suggestions..:D

Don't worry, we didn't provide you with games you can complete in a few hours. FF6 alone takes about 50 hours to complete, FF:Tactics is quite long as well. Baldur's Gate II you could easily put in 100 hours and you would still have stuff to explore, do, and obtain. We recommended those games to you because I, personally, have played those games for countless hours, and at many different periods in my life. They have mostly insane replayability, so I would greatly suggest you to purchase your copies whenever possible. They will most probably be played and re-played a few years after your first playthrough.

I could name a few others though.

Of course, the other Final Fantasy come to mind, if you liked FF6... FF4, FF7, FF8, FF9, FFX are all great titles if you like JRPGs. be wary though that purchasing old FF games might be confusing. FF4 is in truth Final Fantasy II (american version) on the Super Nintendo and FF6 is Final Fantasy III (american version) as well. In japan, there are other final fantasy games not available here, that's why.

Chrono Trigger (JRPG, SNES): a classic japanese RPG as well. functions pretty much like the final fantasies but with a twist during combat. Deep story.

Super Metroid (Action-Adventure, SNES): a great game, with a great setting. You can (mostly) freely explore the world of Planet Zebes as you uncover the plot behind the capturing of Metroid. I still play this game from time to time :p

Neverwinter Nights (Western RPG, PC): a good game, pretty much plays like Baldur's Gate and BGII but isn't as good. Still, it's an enjoyable game and feels different/refreshing from their BG counterparts.

> Final Fantasy Tactics and Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced, i pretty much put them together there xD.

No...! Advanced is a much lesser game than the first. Tactics 1 is the better game! Huge mistake! :p

> Besides that, a PSX-Emulator is a little bit more tricky then the VisualBoyAdvance.

Yeah well, those things happen. But trust me, you want to own FFTactics on PS1, and play it.

> I would have loved to get my hands on a copy of Dungeon Keeper but i never found it here.

Have you tried eBay?

> age of empires 2! (+ the expansion)

Good suggestion. :D

-------

I don't know exactly what your PC can or can't run, but just looking at a newer game there, Torchlight 2 seems to be a good game from what I've played so far.

Also, as an indicator, here is roughly what a top all-time games for me would look like:

1. Diablo II
2. Baldur's Gate II
3. Warcraft 3
4. Counter-Strike
5. Final Fantasy: Tactics

Honorable mention to Heroes of Might and Magic III, StarCraft, Final Fantasy 6, and Super Smash Bros. Melee. :p

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Chrono Trigger, how could i have forgotten about that one!
Great game as well, and as far as i remember, another japan only title with an english fan translation.

> Final Fantasy Tactics and Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced, i pretty much put them together there xD.

No...! Advanced is a much lesser game than the first. Tactics 1 is the better game! Huge mistake!
Games the same, pretty much in terms of how it works.
But yes, of course the PSX version has more content, but he wanted games which run on old PC's and PSX emulators, at least the ones i know, are not too easy on the cpu/gpu.
The visual boy is so simple it can basically run on, well, even a gameboy...

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
> Chrono Trigger, how could i have forgotten about that one!
> Great game as well, and as far as i remember, another japan only title with an english fan translation.

Nope, it is available in English on SNES! I own the game cartridge, in English.

> But yes, of course the PSX version has more content, but he wanted games which run on old PC's and PSX emulators, at least the ones i know, are not too easy on the cpu/gpu.

Yeah, emulators are cheaper, definitely. He might have to go for Advanced.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
> Chrono Trigger, how could i have forgotten about that one!
> Great game as well, and as far as i remember, another japan only title with an english fan translation.

Nope, it is available in English on SNES! I own the game cartridge, in English.
[...]
Oh really? The game was such a late release i thought it was struck by the same fate as seiken densetsu 3.

But if we can include Nintendo 64 games i will list:
Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Action RPG) <- the best of the series
Jet Force Gemini (FPS) <- Its funky, its colorful and its fun.

And another one for PC, although this is 3D:
The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind (RPG) <- Great game, better then oblivion in my opinion.

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
> Oh really? The game was such a late release i thought it was struck by the same fate as seiken densetsu 3.

It is hard to get. Expect to pay somewhere around $100 for the game cartridge in English. Same for E.V.O... doesn't really sell below $125

Juno**

Reaction score
already have super mario and the complete set of pokemon games but the "wizard games" sounds interesting... I'm still searching for the games that they suggested above, maybe if I finish them all (if I ever would) i will try that..

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Legend of the Dragoon was a good game for the Playstation. Similar to Final Fantasy.

Another good RPG was Dark Stone, I preferred the Playstation edition but there is one for the PC.

Tomba! was also pretty cool, kind of a cute game but interesting.

I also really liked Spyro, but obviously is for a younger audience (still a balla game, such great memories).

Morrowind I agree with, far better than Oblivion. The storyline is one of the best you can find, only downside is the weird combat but you get used to it quick and there are mods to make it smoother.

Severence: Blade of Darkness was cool, though at times had maddening difficulty.

Die by the Blade (I think that's what it's called) wasn't the most fun game ever, but it had a really intricate combat system based on the mouse that was a lot of fun once you got used to it. It's worth taking a look at.

Obviously the Zelda games, already I think, but they can never be brought up enough. Legend of Link is the best I think, but all of them are pretty cool.

Chrono Trigger

Secret of Mana

Ninja Gaiden

Beyond Good and Evil

rover2341

Is riding a roller coaster...Wee!
Reaction score
Zelda: A Link to the Past (JRPG) <- A very good zelda title, definitely among the best.

Final Fantasy 6 (JRPG) <- One of the better titles, very long game.

Agreed.

Some times, I wonder if techonly didnt move so fast, that era of gaming might have lasted a bit longer and we would have had more super rad snes rpg games. Man good times.

Varine

Reaction score
There are plenty of recent games that are better than most on the older consoles. They're just harder to find because they cost a lot more to make; but then again, most games released for every console suck.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed.

Some times, I wonder if techonly didnt move so fast, that era of gaming might have lasted a bit longer and we would have had more super rad snes rpg games. Man good times.
The lifetime of SNES was over, the most recent snes games were so demanding on the hardware that they even caused frame drops. At least Seiken Densetsu 3 did.
The SNES had so little memory that the game was not even finished, you can go up to level 99 but the game usually ends around 42. Sometimes you have not even learned all abilities yet.

Varine

Reaction score
Similar things happened to the NES. Remember Legend of the Link, the first game that you could SAVE? The only reason was because there was a small battery in it; when that battery died you no longer could save your progress and were back to leaving the console on until it was completed or your mom shut it off. Games got longer; people needed a method to restart at their checkpoints.

bradkevin

Reaction score
You play Warcraft 3 and Ninja Gaiden
Both the games are awesome . you can play its compatible for your PC

rover2341

Is riding a roller coaster...Wee!
Reaction score
I really didnt like "Final Fantasy: Tactics"

Super Mari0 RPG is solid

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.