iOS 6, OS X 10.8, retina MacBook Pro

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
So the MacBook Air and Pro have been updated with new hardware, and a redesigned MacBook Pro which is like a hybrid between the Air and Pro is now available, with a retina display. Updated Mac Pro brings nothing new to the table save maybe for less exorbitant upgrade prices.

iOS 6 looks good. New Maps app... looks awesome. Improvements to Siri, such as additional languages and more content, now available on iPad 3. Redesigned Stores, plenty of other improvements.

Mountain Lion looks pretty good too. It's $20 (and the license extends to all your Macs, assuming you use the same Apple ID for them all) and will be available in July.

I'm just waiting to get my hands on the beta for iOS 6 -- site's still down.

rover2341

Is riding a roller coaster...Wee!
Reaction score
Not big fan of macs, but I think its great there pushing out higher res displays. Even if someone else had them and started to sale them i don't think they would gain as much public appeal as mac is pushing it to more and more of there products.

I figure most games wont run in that high res, but its great that its there.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Only 2 USB ports on the macbook? IMO it should at least have 3 but they're obviously trying to push lightport or whatever it is. Don't see that being used by many companies though.

as for the maps, I don't see a upgrade over Google Maps with their new one, though they're obviously trying to cut any dependence on their biggest competitor.

I'm glad they're going all flash for their MBPs. Can't wait till the day SSDs are priced similarly to how HDDs are priced today.

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
Thunderbolt is being introduced in PCs... all of them I think eventually. Some Mobos already have support for it now.

SSD prices are pretty good at the moment. Last I checked it was $400 for a Crucial M4 512GB. Beats $900-$1200 a year and a half ago or so.

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
Here's Anandtech's Analysis of the retina MacBook Pro. Shows info about screen scaling and a little about gaming too. Link.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
the proprietary SSD format and soldered ram kills it though.. without that I would of seriously considered buying one..

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
Haha you've no idea -- iFixit rated it 1/10 for repairability. Everything inside of it is proprietary. The battery is glued in too lol.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
There's no way Apple will endorse DIY PC building with their approved products.

Lyerae

I keep popping up on this site from time to time.
Reaction score
Eh, it's not quite worth the price for the retina display, even with all those fancy pixels.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Err what do you mean?

• Apple does not let you do basic things to your own computer. The PC is wonderful in that it allows you to take the back off and tinker with it if you need to. If you have a laptop you can replace the battery if it goes wrong. Apple insists that you have to take it to one of their repair people to do something which is incredibly basic.
  • Apple believes you need to replace its expensive products every two years. Jobs' Mob has run foul of EU consumer laws because it did not want to support its electronic goods for the EU minimums. Apple tends to “refresh” its products regularly and to encourage you to move on it ignores its older gear. While technology does improve, the old gear should continue to run and you should not be forced to buy new gear to satisfy a company bottom line.

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
Oh right. Apple actually does support you installing your own upgrades -- at least some of them. On the iMac it's for the RAM, and on the MacBook Pro I think the RAM and HDD.

That aside Apple doesn't ignore its older gear.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

• Ghan
        Administrator - Servers are fun

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.